Software
Houzz Logo Print
alison_inge

What do you think of my new curtains?

12 years ago
This is a photo of what they look like in the box. I totally love the Parisian style theme. Was wondering if anyone had anything to add on to the style as far as a lighting. We are looking for a chandelier for a reasonable price. The rods that I bought are wrought iron with leaves on the end in black. Anything to add would be great. I don't have a picture of the room because I'm at the cottage right now but also paint colours would be great because we will be painting the room. Go nuts!

Comments (130)

  • 12 years ago
    I remember the singing nuns too. If you are dating yourself I guess I am too. I'm sure we were really, really young when we heard them, like young enough to be sitting on our mother's lap right?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Domenica..nica... nica...sil vous plais le veq la ma....???
  • 12 years ago
    I tell you these songs took me back to my childhood too :)
    Like "Sabrina" Paris is on my mind so keep it romantic with starry nights, la Vie en rose and love
  • 12 years ago
    The singing Nun was Belgian .
  • 12 years ago
    The song came out in Dec. 1963. Good grief!!
  • 12 years ago
    Sustainable Dwellings, I think its Domenique - nique - nique, son élève est simplement.... I think.....

    OK, we all know what era we're from!
  • 12 years ago
    All this over a pair of Parisian inspired panels. So much fun!
  • 12 years ago
    OK, had to look it up on YouTube - "S'en allait tout simplement". But what does it mean...? Stuck in my head now for the rest of the weekend!
  • 12 years ago
    Using some black in the room might ground it and pull out the figures in the curtains...perhaps a background color in rug?
  • 12 years ago
    Karemore, google lyricstranslate.com
  • 12 years ago
    Karemore, it looses a little in the translation but it means he goes simply along.
  • 12 years ago
    Unwantedadvice, That's so cool - I did not know about lyricstranslate! Just looked up the lyrics and I also did not know that Dominique was a monk! Thank you!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Beautiful chandeliers by Galilee Lighting.
    we can email you our detailed catalog, contact us Sales@GalileeLighting.com
  • 12 years ago
    All this talk of French songs I had to throw in one of my own... More current but pretty :)
  • 12 years ago
    Alison that is a lovely little ditty, she has a pretty voice. I enjoy French songs but I draw the line at Celine.
  • 12 years ago
    Bschr, I'm with you on Celine. When she first got popular, my hubby in all his wisdom gave me her CD for my birthday. I looked at the cover and said "Celine Dion - who's Celine Dion?" I think I only ever listened to it once, and it ended up in a thrift shop. Hope I'm not offending any Celine fans:))
  • 12 years ago
    Alison, I couldn't get the song to load on my iPad, so I'll have to trust you that it is indeed pretty! Any new chandeliers in your life yet?
  • 12 years ago
    Not yet :) still up north here so maybe later on this month:)
  • 12 years ago
    @karemore55, do you mean Slinging' Dijon?
  • 12 years ago
    That is hilarious! I have never heard her called that! Reminds me of when they called Olivia Newton John Olivia Neutron Bomb lol!
  • 12 years ago
    I think people need to stay on task, and not get all side tracked with silly nonsense.
  • 12 years ago
    @Margo, suppose you are right Margo but the curtains are a French theme and I guess we ran with it. And yes Celine is silly and nonsense. Happy Thanksgiving to all. :-)
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I'm not a fan of Celine either ,Edith Piaf was before my time but I listen to her music ,next to her there is Mireille Mathieu you will enjoy her promise:)


    decorating and music go well together ,like cooking and good music .Happy Thanksgiving from Canada.
  • 12 years ago
    Genevieve, I remember Mireille Mathieu - beautiful voice! Alas, I couldn't get that song to load on my iPad either. Will have to kick hubby off the desk top for awhile so I can go through these so go everyone loves. Yes, last. Isn't got me in the mood for oldies, so along with Dominique, I listened to, La Bamba, Then He Kissed Me, Dancing Queen (not ashamed to admit I was an Abba fan!), My Boyfriend's Back, Don't Worry Be Happy...lots of fun to dance while you cook lol!

    Margo, have you changed your username to I am Margo?? Because if you did, I want a cool name too!
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, do you like it? lol
  • 12 years ago
    I think you should change yours to I am Karen ;))
  • 12 years ago
    @I am Margo, We Canadians have found a site where we can hang out and just be Canadian - it's a Canadian thing lol. Alison doesn't mind - she's out of town and said we could use her place (thread) while she's gone. We're not squatting - right, Alison?
  • 12 years ago
    @I am Margo, Yes, I like it a lot! I like I am Karen too - it makes me feel very important. But everyone will think I copied you, so has to be different. How about Rap Uncle Karen? Or one of the many other names I've messed up thanks to my friend auto-correct? Maybe I should be Auto-Correct Karen lol.
  • 12 years ago
    Oh, my, what I posted up above was a joke, the pot calling the kettle black. LOL I do it all the time, ask anybody. Hey, I should say Happy Thanksgiving, how do you celebrate?
  • 12 years ago
    It is OK, I copied someone on here;))
  • 12 years ago
    Had a lovely turkey dinner yesterday and soup for today as well as pumpkin pie... My brother came up around 1 am... Everyone was in bed already... Tryptophan got to us I guess :) I was still awake but thought to myself lying in bed oo0((My that's a big mouse at the door))

    Today after leftovers he fell asleep watching tv and something really funny happened... He started singing the meow mix commercial in his sleep. I wish I recorded it... I was dying of laughter! :D
  • 12 years ago
    So, your Thanksgiving is like our Thanksgiving only on a different date?
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, Margo, same as yours - except based on Alison's story, maybe we have tryptophan and possibly something a little extra in our turkey?? But I was asking a few threads back (doesn't anyone listen to me lol?) if you are celebrating Columbus Day today?

    So maybe I could occasionally change my name from karemore to couldntkareless? That should make me popular lol!
  • 12 years ago
    Well, all I know is that we don't get the mail LOL
  • 12 years ago
    @ All who aren't Canadian. Back in the really old days; before the singing nun, in the late 1500's Canada stated celebrating Thanksgiving in October as being farther north of USA, our crops came in earlier. An odd fact that I expect even a lot of Canucks aren't aware of - in our Atlantic provinces having a day off is optional except for government employees. Not statutory in those provinces. We are really off track here, is there a paint colour and chandy yet? Leftover turkey and pumpkin pie for me tonight.
  • 12 years ago
    @condomary, Alison is up north and plans to get back to the dilemma toward the end of the month. Interesting fact indeed! What I can't figure out is why our crops would be ready sooner, since they're further south. Hmm...
  • 12 years ago
    We probably willed them to ripen sooner, before the frost.
  • 12 years ago
    Ya, we kind of had to in order to ensure our survival!
  • 12 years ago
    @karemore I think it is probably that we have a shorter growing season. A lot of the states have more temperate climate therefore crops can be planted more than once a season - extending the time of " thanks"
  • 12 years ago
    Alison Inge, I don't know if you get 55 Downing Street or not, but today's sale is Parisian Apartment!!
  • 12 years ago
    Alison, Yes I was aware of the tryptophan and how it induces sleep. In fact, you can buy it as a supplement for that purpose. When I referred to the tryptophan and maybe something extra, I meant perhaps something in the food caused your brother to sing the meow mix commercial in his sleep!

    Condomary, if I had thought that through a little more, I should have been able to figure that out! Well I'm blonde - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
  • 12 years ago
    Haven't heard of 55 downing St before. Sounds fun ill check it out.
  • 12 years ago
    So we ended up picking up this at
    Home Depot. Tried to convince hubby to pick out something more flashy we are still happy with it. Got some fixtures for the bathrooms as well... One halogen style and one wave style. We may have to return one of the other fixtures but at least it updates our look and they were a good price... We did see a drum and some crystal style chandeliers but they were more expensive. Thanks everyone for the help with paint ideas as well. I'll get back to you with an update on those as well.
  • 12 years ago
    My hubby keeps me grounded. Otherwise I would have been spending too much. But omg we saw some nice ones... We went to Royal Lighting and Lando lighting... Then just went big box style...
  • 11 years ago

    where did you purchase the curtains


  • 10 years ago
    Hi I love the Paris curtains in this picture. Is there any way I can buy some for my living room?
  • 10 years ago
    My immediate thought was that your curtains are an inch or so short and the rod should be placed higher ,right under the crown molding.
  • 10 years ago

    This is a very old thread - going back to 2013.