Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seaphome

First time doing remodel...too many options!

Pam
10 years ago
I'm doing a bathroom remodel that involves putting in a new tub and surround. I have decided on subway tile to the ceiling. This is a starter condo, so I don't want to spend a lot of money. And I want updated, but not trendy. I am keeping the floor which is a matte grey slate with whitish veins. Dilemma #1 What shade of white subway tile, what size and shine or matte finish? At a later date I wish to add frameless glass vs. a shower curtain, so these decisions will matter a great deal. Dilemma #2 I want to replace the vanity, but I am overwhelmed with the options. I have 51-52 inches in length. I can't have enough storage, so I was thinking about a 36" vanity with an 15" linen tower? Is that too much furniture for the space? Would it go to the left by the door, or to the right by the toilet? Dilemma #3 I am partial to a dark stain, but not married to the idea. What countertop material and color would look good with the grey slate floors and white subway tile? And finally, I'm ready to try a new paint color. I prefer white or off white linens, so I guess sky's the limit here!

Comments (27)

• vygriffin
    10 years ago
    Tower away from toilet.
  • PRO
    Marc Russell Interiors
    10 years ago
    Honestly, it sounds like your over thinking it. Replace the vanity top with granite, and change out the hardware. Your not showing what the tub looks like but with the money you save on replacing the vanity, you can do the tub, tile, and frame all at once. Remember, this will be someones starter condo as well. Good luck!
  • Pam
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Darzy. I love the pic you shared. Why not subway tile with the glass panel? Just wondering.
  • Pam
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You're right Marc Russell Interiors! I am over thinking it! The tub is in bad shape and must go. I absolutely hate the vanity. What you might not see is that it is faux wood veneer. Non wood cabinets would be tolerable if they weren't made to look like wood. My thought process was not to lay a beautiful counter on top of a faux wood vanity. Do you agree?
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Go faux Carrera marble on vanity. Dark wood on vanity with towers on both ends ribbed glass fronts. It will work if you put in 30" vanity. White subways are safe. 6" matte. Until new shower door. Go white fabric shower curtain. No print. No small pic on walls. Use big fluffy white towels. With chocolate hand towels over them. Brush nickel finishes and pulls. Mirror would have to smaller in silver.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    I like wall color.
  • Pam
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Travisinteriors, faux marble? Do you think I should get rid of the vanity, or just top with marble. I love the idea of the silver mirror and the pictures are too small...you're right.
  • PRO
    Monique's Bath Showroom
    10 years ago
    We tried a cool look for subway tile in one of our newly updated display bathrooms. We used white subway tile but instead of staggering the tile we stacked it. I'd a very good and different look .
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Carrera is beautiful. But expensive, plus it's stains. So go the fake look. Once dn will look great. Silver should be your finish, on everything.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    You could put on existing cab. But change pulls to brush nickel . I though you wanted towers?
  • Pam
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Towers were just a thought. I like the vanity fine, I just dislike the faux wood finish. For me, that is a huge design mistake. That's why I am reluctant to spend on a new countertop without new vanity. Do you agree?
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    The reason I suggested a larger tile rather than subway is the future glass panel you want is nicely contemporary. Subway tile is more of a classic, traditional look. The larger rectangular tile looks more contemporary with less grout lines too. :) But, you could do subway tile in a stacked tile installation, which looks a bit more contemporary. (The 3 x 6" size).
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    Oh! Stacked like Monique showed you is an alternative to the typical subway configuration. That is exactly what I was thinking. But, in a longer version tile...
    Contemporary Bathroom · More Info
  • PRO
    Monique's Bath Showroom
    10 years ago
    Very nice! I like it!
  • qhayes11
    10 years ago
    AN EXSPRESSO CABINET WOULD LOOK GREAT. I WOULD GO WITH A WHITE SUBWAY TILE THE SAME COLOR AS THE VEINS IN THE FLOOR, WITH A GLOSS FINISH. YES THE LINEN TOWER WOULD WORK
  • sbrustein
    10 years ago
    I was under the impression that if you needed to pull out the tub, you could not save the floor- the entire bathroom would essentially need to be gutted. Is that incorrect?
  • reno20417
    10 years ago
    I would get that shower curtain out change the mirror to make it more modern, and perhaps paint a very subtle light gray. Don't waste money on in needed things when paint is your friend;)
  • Michelle Ashby
    10 years ago
    how about a vanity like this, with the mirror cupboard space above?? might go well with the subway tiles, what do you think?
    Floating Bathroom Vanities · More Info
    OR
    Bathroom · More Info
    OR
    53" Aurora Marble Top Single Vanity · More Info
    OR
    53.25" Eolie Single Bath Vanity - White · More Info
    53.25" Eolie Single Bath Vanity - White · More Info
    or
    Design Element Springfield 53-in. Single Bathroom Vanity Set · More Info
  • Michelle Ashby
    10 years ago
    I think maybe this colour subway tile might go well with your floor tiles, and being the glassy effect, will give much more light reflection in the bathroom, making the space brighter...
    3x6 Glass Subway Tiles / Kitchen and Bathroom · More Info
    3x6 Glass Subway Tiles / Kitchen and Bathroom · More Info
    "Ethereal" Large-Subway-Tile 3x6 Solid-Color · More Info
    Lucian Glass Tile - Ann Sacks Tile & Stone · More Info
  • Michelle Ashby
    10 years ago
    If you just want to change a few things, and not spend too much, try changing the shower curtain to bring a different feel, as that cool animal print is nice, but maybe a bit heavy for a smaller bathroom.. i found a few ideas, and they will go with the tiles if you decide to go that route :)
    Orchid Lane Dallas, TX · More Info
    (Love the first pic, they made it like it was a curtain that could be looking out)
    Parkway Bathroom · More Info
    Dallas, Park Cities Project · More Info
    OR
    Greenwich Modern Tudor · More Info
  • PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    10 years ago
    I would stay away from the linen tower idea. I find in a small bathroom they are overpowering. They darken the room too much and close in the mirror space making it feel a bit cavelike when applying makeup etc. Love the faux Carreras idea for vanity top. If you do replace vanity, please donate it to a reuse centre, as it looks lovely and someone will be thrilled to use it.
  • Pam
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you to all who have taken time to comment! I don't feel alone in this!
    Based off of your feedback, my research and the amount I want to spend, here is where I have landed:
    I am replacing the tub with something as square as I can find to fit the space. I will not have to replace the floor.
    I'm doing a shiny regular white subway tile with a medium grey grout for the tub surround and I am taking it to the ceiling. I am adding a couple of niches too. The shower curtain will be replaced with white.
    I will replace all the bath and sink fixtures and vanity pulls with brushed nickle. I am keeping the vanity for now, yet may change it out for something in white and do a honed Carrara marble top.
    If/when I decide to replace the vanity, I will use the same subway tile part way up the walls at the vanity height.
    I liked the suggestion of a silver mirror (or I may do charcoal) and will add glass shelves above the toilet (which I am also replacing). While I know it's cliche, I will accessorize with shells. My father gave me an amazing collection that he found from his time in the navy doing deep sea dives over 50 years ago.
    From the shells, I am taking a soft blush color to put on the walls. I chose Fruited Plain from Benjamin Moore.
    I can't wait to share the "after" photos!
  • PRO
    McCabe By Design LLC
    10 years ago
    Check out Ark Shower Glass- http://www.arkshowers.com
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    I would not put any kind of glossy or glassy tiles. They will show water spots--unless, of course, you want to squeegee the entire shower every time you use it!
  • PRO
    AJ's Glass and Mirrors
    4 years ago

Check out AJ's Glass and Mirrors for a straight inline shower that would really make that bathroom look good.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

AJ,,,thanks so much for reviving this 7 year old post. I'm sure these people are really interested in your glass. this isn't a site to advertise your company.