Software
Houzz Logo Print
depqua

14 years ago
I need help deciding where to place the refrigerator. To the left of the kitchen is a dinette area with a sliding door to the deck which is directly left of the cabinets. In front of kitchen is the great room. Should the refrigerator be located near the dinette at the end of that cabinet wall or where it is now?

Comments (14)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hi depqua, it's best to place the fridge closet to the entrance to the kitchen to make unloading groceries easier, there it looks like your existing fridge location is fine ... but I would suggest putting the wall oven to the left of the cooktop to balance the bulkiness of the cabinetry.
  • 14 years ago
    I think this is a great layout as is.
  • 14 years ago
    A few thoughts:

    1) having the fridge near the table is helpful, esp if you have kids old enough to get drinks for themselves, but the current location works equally well.
    2) to what degree is the range movable? You could put either the oven or fridge at the left end of that run, but it might work better if you can also slide the range to the right. Just make sure range and dishwasher aren't directly opposite each other...the doors might cause a bottleneck.
    3) Is the tall cabinet a microwave and a secondary oven? I like to keep the fridge and MW close, as mw is often used for reheating. If that's the case, I might suggest putting the 2nd oven in a base cabinet on the range wall (or use a tall cabinet with pantry storage as well as the oven) and going with a wall and base cabinet next to the fridge...landing space for both fridge and mw, and they still stay close together. In that case, the MW could be in the base (drawer style?) or in the wall cabinet. Location to be determined by kids/access questions.

    Good luck!
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks for the replies. I am now considering moving the refrigerator to the side closet to the dinette area. 1) satisfy my husband's request 2) I do agree it is closer to the dining area so you don't have to get up and walk across the kitchen to get something.
    Also this gives me a little counter space next to the oven and microwave. Down side if the microwave will be far from refrigerator.
    other option is to move the microwave and oven combination to the far right of the range wall so that it's next to the pantry door. But then I lose counter space. Visually it might look nice though?
    Decisions decisions...appreciate your help. Let me know if anyone has any other thoughts. Thanks!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I agree, I like where it is now. If you move the ovens and fridge around, it screws up your work triangle. You've got good flow now. I disagree with moving it, you have lots of countertop space by the stove where you need it, I'd also remove the raised island, make it all one level. All the raised island does is make it a collection spot for everyday items that don't belong in the kitchen - trust me, I have one and I hate it! Good Luck - leave the fridge where it is!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    i must say ur layout is good,its right place for fridge closet to the entrance to the kitchen .
  • 14 years ago
    i think that u should move the wall oven
  • 14 years ago
    Without in depth observance your kitchen looks very promising and fine as is but there are a couple "problems" outside placement of the fridge that might help you effectively place your fridge.
    1) I agree the placement of the fridge secluded and immediately next to the wall oven unit is aesthetically heavy and might set off the balance of the overall lay out. Also, an open oven door may not be the best choice as an entrance into the kitchen area.
    2) I agree with the bottleneck issue of the dishwasher and the stove/oven unit. It may not cause a problem often, if at all, but the idea that it might may be enough to consider other options. Once it's installed, it's installed. I do like that it's centered though. I get where you're coming from there.

    Good luck!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I really feel that you need a spot to put things down on the counter when you take them out of the microwave. I could just see myself spinning around to put something down on the island and spilling it. You could move the fridge over to the right to keep anyone who is fetching a drink out of the cooking area, and move the extra oven to the left of the main stove, which will give you counter space under the microwave. I also like the suggestion of keeping the island all one level-that would give you tons of space around the sink.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    You might consider Refrigerator Drawers, that can fit nicely under-counter. They accomplish several things; shallower depth than that old fridge, multiple locations for various items, and access is easy for whole family. This may not solve the complete issue, but it 's a nice options when you are considering moving walls, plumbing, drains and/or electrical.
  • 14 years ago
    Everyone's feedback has been helpful but I am still so very undecided! I like the idea of keeping the refrigerator where it is now and moving the oven/microwave to a different location either left of the stove or right of the stove. I will have to ask my builder about the possibility of moving just the oven to a lower cabinet location and leaving the microwave. I haven't seen many pics of kitchens that have done that but I don't see why it couldn't be done? That way it doesn't throw off the aesthetics/balance of the kitchen cabinets left and right of the stove.
  • 14 years ago
    I like your layout. The raised counter shields the kitchen prep mess from the adjacent room (which is likely the family room?).
  • 14 years ago
    I like it the way it is.