Software
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

IdeaChat Video - Sex and Colors - 10.17.13

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
Is it true that people with blue bedrooms get more sleep and the ones with caramel rooms have more sex?

Watch today's IdeaChat video and share your thoughts! What color is your bedroom and are the colors true to their claims? Post your comments and photos of your bedroom!




https://www.houzz.com/magazine/bedroom-color-the-secret-to-more-sex-and-more-sleep-stsetivw-vs~11536209

Comments (21)

  • 12 years ago
    A friend of mine had an orange bedroom and said he didn't really get much sleep until he painted his room grey, which is the total opposite of the actual claims! Another friend of mine currently has a green bedroom (lime green to be exact) and she says her sleep could definitely be better. Makes me wonder how many people can relate?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Need I say more..
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked ASVInteriors
  • 12 years ago
    @ASVInteriors: Hahaha, hilarious! Now I know what colors to NOT paint my bedroom...
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Very cute article idea and videos. I have a yellow and blue room and we do a lot of sleeping. I'm okay with that.
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked Maguire
  • 12 years ago
    @Maguire, I used to have a yellow room too! Sleeping wasn't very fun in that room, but I think I blame the poor mattress more than the color of the walls. :P
  • 12 years ago
    My house is filled with carmel tones (cannot get on this grey trend) especially my bedroom/master bathroom. We are getting plenty of both. Nothing like a good night sleep after sex.
  • 12 years ago
    My walls are caramel and the ceiling is sky blue. Guess I'll be enjoying my new master suite even more than I expected!
  • 12 years ago
    I don't think the color of your room really makes a difference to how much sleep you get or you don't unless you sleep with your eyes open. :))
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Pale khaki here. I'll go after caramel paint soon. hahahaha.
  • 12 years ago
    My room is milk chocolate brown, I sleep alone, however, my dog just popped out 7 pups last June. Maybe she got more out of the colour than me, but wait, aren't they suppose to be colour blind? Like most men, who are also colour blind and don't give a hoot where they get a bit of action.
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked Heather Temple-Baryla
  • 12 years ago
    A word of warning to those about to repaint their bedroom. The color Blue attracts Mosquitoes! True. Scientifically proven, apparently. And obviously Chocolate attracts other types of breeding..... and heavy sleep, apparently. I'd choose a warm, neutral color, and add season change thru linen and accessories, keeping my 'male color blindness' a secret. : )
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked rosecafe
  • 12 years ago
    Maybe the color you choose to paint your room just has more to do with your personality and the habits you already have, which is what influences your sex and sleeping tendencies.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    At 71 I haven't had a man in my life for 5 years now, and I truly love living alone. My bedroom was recently painted a light sage green, and feels very restful to me. But when/if I am lucky enough to find a boyfriend who stays overnight occasionally, I'll definitely repaint my bedroom. :)
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked jboncaro
  • 12 years ago
    @rosecafe: Interesting tip! I had no idea about blue attracting mosquitoes. Do you live in a tropical area?
  • 12 years ago
    Before I moved, my bedroom was dark purple and I loved it. I like it dark when I sleep. I've also heard that not having a bunch of tiny lights in the room from cell phones, smoke detectors, alarm systems, alarm clocks, etc. is helpful for sleeping. I covered up all of those annoying little lights with black gaffer's tape and slept better than ever.
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked pollmer
  • 12 years ago
    Jeannie, Re Mozzies. Not presently, but I did live on the edge of the rain forest in Northern New South Wales, Aus for a couple of years where mosquitoes are a real concern. Some species can deliver a life threatening bite, carrying such diseases as Malaria and RossRiver Fever. Most people have mosquito nets over beds and all windows and doors screened. I learned of the mozzies attraction to blue when researching ways to rid my house of them. The old farm house had eight different wall colors and five different floor covering materials when I bought it. The decor was soon changed to chalk white walls throughout and coir carpet. Terra cotta tiles in the kitchen & breakfast room. It was a peaceful place indeed, except at night when the mozzies began to buzz! The cicadas up there were the noisiest creatures you ever heard, at days end in summer, their chorus was so deafening it drowned out all other sounds. At dusk, they were in turn drowned out by a family of Kookaburras. These same raucous 'laughing' birds also woke us every morning at about 4.00 a.m. All in all though, it was the mosquitoes that made the least noise and were the biggest danger. We wont mention the deadly snakes, ticks and spiders ! Suffice to say, we moved back to the beach. : )
  • 12 years ago
    With noisy or dangerous critters like these in your garden, and your bedroom, you need more than the right room color. Kookaburras are like a giant Kingfisher. Capable of crashing thru your windscreen if you hit one at 60 mph. One of these monsters collided into my crash helmet while I was riding my motorbike and almost knocked my head off... No laughing matter : (
    Back to the bedroom..... Keeping within the theme of your discussion, I liked this one below, in chocolate and cream. Just don't give me the Blues.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I have read a book about color studies, and it suggested that the color of the room should be coordinated with which direction the windows face, ie: don't paint a south facing room yellow or orange because it will be uncomfortable and feel too warm - use cool colors. West facing rooms should be blues and greens, North should be the brighter colors (yellows) etc. I've also read that bedrooms should have at least a little red/pink in the tint (mine is a muted raspberry). I've always wondered how they documented their findings.
  • 12 years ago
    @FORNEY: That's so interesting! Maybe that's why I never really enjoyed sleeping in my yellow bedroom (childhood room) since it was always the hottest room in the house. Once it got painted a grey/blue color, my nights were no longer restless.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    @Nguyen: I finally found that book. It was one I picked up when trying to figure out what colors to use for my own home. It seems most Architects prefer "neutrals", but I LOVE COLOR and prefer paint to wallpaper. The book is "Painting and Wallpapering" by Ortho books - just a little DIY guide book, but I found it very interesting and helpful. It was developed with input from a number of Interior Designers, and has an illustration with suggested colors for every room based upon orientation. And FYI, the colors in my house are all muted: plum, sage, wheat, rust, navy, salmon, black - with a muted blue-gray trim in the main living areas (I'm not a fan of white trim); and muted raspberry, salmon, celery, black - with gray trim in the master suite. (And I did receive some help with coordinating final color selections from my good friend, Interior Designer Anna Howard). There are a few photos of my home in my Houzz profile photos - "Modest remodel in Kirkwood" at FORNEY + architecture, LLC