Software
Houzz Logo Print
bellevue2

Living Room design dilemma!!!

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
Working on finishing this room...end tables...round or square? Table lamps or floor lamps? Sofa console with lamps? Set up is on the diagional and wall decor also needed. Occational table pictured is just to illistrate height and to see if the night light as a side table is desireable or not. It's 26"...sofa arm height is 23" and the chairs are 22". What height would be best for the end tables with this layout?
Second dilemma is how to balance off above the fireplace with the tv area next to it? Mirror or art work?
Lastly, how best to dress the window with the challenge on the left side so close to the mantel?
This room is southwest exposure and located in the pacific northwest so we are trying to keep it as light as possible. Creating some daytime privacy while keeping the light and full privacy at night. The blinds pictured were here from the builder.

Comments (100)

  • 12 years ago
    Good job so far. Looks good.
    bellevue2 thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 12 years ago
    I like arrangement 1 and 3 too as they don't get in the way of natural traffic flow. Could you please share more details of your sofa? If they are leather, these are some of the more tailored and nice leather sofas I have seen. This style is usually made in fabric.
    bellevue2 thanked bellesum
  • 12 years ago
    Hi bellesum...It's a Hickory Chair sofa..."the 9th street sofa" it is done in a COM fabric from Pearson and latex backed. I came to this after waiting for bolt after bolt of Lillian August fabric that kept coming in with flaws. HC has lovely, good quality fabrics but I was trying to match the original fabric selected, and couldn't find it in the HC selection, since the leather chairs had alreay gone into production. The chairs are Jessica Charles.."Collins Chair" in Caress White leather and very comfortable.
  • 12 years ago
    Bellevue...also extending my compliments to you on the two leather chairs and sofa. I have spent almost every day for the last week trying to decide on a leather sofa that is more tailored and will hold up well. I am about to decide to choose fabric instead. Your room looks great. Now the fun part....art, window treatment, finishing touches.
    bellevue2 thanked mkhodges
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks! They look great together.
    bellevue2 thanked bellesum
  • 12 years ago
    In one of the last images you can see the nailhead detail on the side of the sofa....I chose for only horizontal nailhead..however, it comes with a row of vertical placed just behind the arm curl....just as an fyi
  • 12 years ago
    Oh I see the nailheads now.....yes....I would not have even thought of that but agree that the vertical might be overkill. Did you say what the color name of sofa fab is? It looks less white than the chairs...but a lovely companion. Really nice. How long did it take for production of the sofa?
  • 12 years ago
    It's Pearson pattern #6551...color#92...grade 38. Your correct, it is less white than the chairs but has the same white finely woven thru it. HC is fantastic also about inspecting all COM orders first...if they find any flaws they will first contact you for approval or not. If not flawed production was about 9 weeks. They do close between Xmas and New Years..Thankgiving week and that adds to the production time. Also the entire 4th of July week.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I like the arrangement with the two chairs at the window and a table between. The room seems so much larger and convenient. Sofa angled is wasting space.
    bellevue2 thanked LB Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    Hi LB, It is much more open...your right!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi there, It visually feels good to me.
  • 12 years ago
    I also prefer to keep it open to the kitchen.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    With the two chairs at the window, they highlight and balance that area.
  • 12 years ago
    I'm really liking the final arrangement...especially with the 2 chairs slightly angled and table between them. To finish it up, how about a slightly taller, thinner chair....on the kitchen side of the sofa....again, angled in to make a "conversation" area. Not leather...maybe something in a small-medium print and with some wood showing (back, arms). It will add interest.
    bellevue2 thanked Laurie Tillett
  • 12 years ago
    I should also mention that the rest of your house looks fab too. It's not large but you have designed the space and chosen furniture so well that the space is almost perfect once finished, like something that should be featured on a design blog. I see some affinity to the style of AM Dolce Vita from Canada.
    bellevue2 thanked bellesum
  • 12 years ago
    Love your home! It is very lovely!!
    bellevue2 thanked Carol F.
  • 12 years ago
    Attached are a few images of a possible end table and lamp combination. Also changed the teal pillows to charcoal. What do think?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I like that side table, but what about sold one to hide the wiring and plugs I guess u will get more clean look!
    bellevue2 thanked Mahmood Al_Turani
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Mahmood...these were on approval so we didn't take the time to hide the wires. If I go with these tables and lamp I'll route the cord behind the sofa. I really dislike seeing cords or wires and the like!
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Bellevue, you r doing great decorating this home. Do u have another outlet behind the sofa?
    bellevue2 thanked Mahmood Al_Turani
  • 12 years ago
    Yes I do have another outlet behind the sofa! Thank you! I can hardly wait to finanlly have a proper set up!
  • 12 years ago
    then I am for this table it's soo nice
    bellevue2 thanked Mahmood Al_Turani
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I'm thinking two different fixes...I love shutters and they make a room complete. If no shutters, I would recommend ceiling to floor drapes (keep them open during the day)!
    bellevue2 thanked Paris Flea Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    Thought it might be fun to post an update of my progress so far....still very much a work in progress but I'm getting there...slow but steady.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I really love the room. Good job! Love the artwork and the pillow accents.
    bellevue2 thanked LB Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    Love the artwork! Beautiful! Now just some window dressings, possibly a live plant in the corner to hide the sub woofer?
    bellevue2 thanked Donna Dixon
  • 11 years ago
    I know it's been a very long time but wanted to share a few pics of how this room has evolved over time. I'm still waiting on 2 ottomans and a chest for the kitchen nook.
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to make suggestions and help me along.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I remember your room :). Absolutely gorgeous!!!! Wonderful job. Really love it!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    One tiny thing. I love the floor vase but it might feel simpler in the room, not thinking it's necessary there. Maybe if it were on the island instead. Just a tiny tweak. Absolutely beautiful rooms!!!!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I especially like how you mounted the window drapes. Perfect application for the room and the window configurations!. Great choice to warm the room and add the finishing touch!!!

  • 11 years ago

    bellevue2, I'd give you carte blanche to decorate my entire house! This is just gorgeous!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Really spectacular well thought out interior. Did you locally source the artwork or would able to find it on line?

  • 11 years ago

    The art work I took a risk on....I sourced the artist thru Etsy! Her name is Andrada out of Montreal, Canada. I sent her all my pillow fabric samples along with paint, wood and surround tile samples. I knew I wanted 3 panels, so she asked me to send her a photo of the room and wall. She then photo shopped the panel sizes into my room image and asked me to corner mark the measurement on the wall with painters tape and resend an image to be 100% sure the size was correct. I already knew the style of art work I was interested in and she began to paint it. Before she finished she again photo shopped the painted panels into my room image and asked if I wanted anything different before she shipped. She made a few adjustments I requested and she shipped samples and art to me. Here in the Pacific Northwest this would have easily cost thousands.....my cost was in the $900's including shipping. She nailed it and I'm thrilled with it! Her work can be seen online and throughout the US in various places. Now my husband will be a little less angry next time my tastes change again! LOL!

  • 11 years ago

    Kudos!!

  • 11 years ago

    I absolute love yellow and, while I'm not a fan of grey, somehow, when combined with yellow, the combo brings out the best of both. In your initial photo, all I could see were those gorgeous pillows. I'm so glad you worked your room around them. I wish everyone on Houzz would look at your room and see that adding color to your beige rooms isn't a risk but a beautiful reward. You've accessories the kitchen beautifully too. The only thing I would ever consider would be adding a tall thin lamp to the table between the 2 chairs. But that's only consider. If you don't want a lamp in that area, then all is well. I hope you don't mind but I did save a copy of your LR pic for inspiration. I wouldn't dream of copying the artist but I would like to reference the colors and graphic curtains if I ever redo my LR.

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you for the kind words!

    Trimble Road · More Info

    The goal in using yellow was deliberate to keep it light and bright even on those gloomy, rainy Pacific Northwest winter days! The room is SW exposure and that also helps! I'm considering different lights over the island (above) and adding something over the dining table. The curtain fabric is Kravet Riad in black, invisible rods, pinch pleat to the ceiling. In case you want it for your records.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Great choices!

  • 11 years ago
    The first impression when I saw the art panels is that they were too matchy-matchy with your long sofa pillows. Currently there are too many references to the accent colors of navy and yellow in a small space. I would prefer to either remove the pillows altogether under the art panels or use some neutral colors pillows that do not compete with the panels.
  • 11 years ago
    @bellesum...bah humbug! BTW there is no blue in the room, only charcoal gray pillows and runners. Thanks for your opinion. ;)
  • 11 years ago

    bellevue2

    Your room is gorgeous! Really love how everything is turning out. It's elegant and sophisticated, without being over the top as some places in Bellevue are known for :) I believe I might be your "neighbor" (I gather you're in Bellevue, WA)?

    I think you're on the right path re: changing the light fixtures above the island. The existing ones are not doing much for your (wonderful) kitchen.

    Did you have your curtains custom made? Would you please give me the info on the workroom? Are you happy with them? The person who I knew retired and I'm looking for someone else who does quality work.

  • 11 years ago
    @Hamma....Thank You! The home was just built when we bought it, so I was just too late to have a say in fixtures and cabinetry etc. I am very happy with not only the workmanship of the drapery but the excellent customer service from Penthouse Drapery! Ask for Corey or Colin.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I love what you did with this room, especially those perfect window treatments. It is beautiful. I hope I can learn how to pull elements together like this for my home.

  • 11 years ago
    @lynn_cheney2....One of the things that helped me in deciding on fabrics, colors and pattern was to buy a yard of the fabric I was considering and hang it up. I hung one on each side of the window and looked at it in natural light and artificial light. Custom window treatments can be pricy so I was doing my best to eliminate making what I felt would be a mistake and have that sinking feeling in the pit of my gut.
    This was definitely a place to spend the money to get a quality product.
  • 10 years ago
    This is beautiful!
  • 10 years ago
    I just read most of this post and say kudos for this beautiful room!
    One you started with a cool pillow and evolved a room around it
    Two you selected neutral furniture and worked with that basic!
    Three you took your time and stuck with builder paint I think,? and seemed to concentrate only on one item at a time before moving onto the next phase of your design.
    Four, Patience is a virtue and I intend to emulate you when I work on my house this winter. I tend to be impulsive and this room reminds me that I can go slowly and savor the whole process.
    Thank you for sharing your journey.
    PS. If I may ask, did you order anything on line? Thanks!
  • 10 years ago

    @soosun2 WOW! Thank you for the kind words and keen observations!

    I am still working on this house room by room and take great pains to make decisions on pieces as I go. I have a passion for it without a profession I always say. :) One thing that has helped me is to take images as I go, then go back and look at them...I sometimes find things I may have missed with the naked eye or see something that inspires me in a different direction. I have also taught myself how to Photoshop items into images of my own room in order to get a proper idea of how it may look before I make a final decision.

    There are days I look into an unfinished room and wish I could hurry it along and other days when I know that will only create regret.

    To answer your question; I do order online and have had good luck with it. I have found prices for the same item all over the board so it pays to do your research on that as well. Always without shipping or tax whenever possible. It has proven to be a more cost effective way to shop many times.

    Have fun this winter with your home!

  • 10 years ago
    Have you thought about your two chairs at your largest window and your sofa angled off that. It would give your window more importance it deserves, unblock your patio door, allow one more chair with a view to the tv and give sofa a view of either tv or large window while still maintaining a conversation area.
  • 10 years ago
    Wow Bellevue! Your home looks great!
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I think the living room is perfectly executed as is the rest of the great room.....I have a set up similar to this configuration and it is so amenable to many different floor plans.

    Thanks for all the info on your process. I must needs learn photoshop and a whole host of other things on the computer....thanks for the heads up reminders. Looking forward to seeing the other rooms as they come up.

    Thanks again. Love the photo shot idea of the room for seeing balance and anything amiss. I read somewhere that when you are staging your home for resale taking pics as you go allows you to see the room as others will see it warts and all. haha.

    PS Our daughter lives in Lynnwood, WA and they are in the process of flipping their second house while her Hubs is finishing his Ph. D. at UWSeattle. Love Bellevue area!

  • 10 years ago

    To help out with the wall decor try this link: http://www.zazzle.com/krafty_kreations . They have great decorations to brighten any room!