Software
Houzz Logo Print
megankc

Granite or backsplash first?

12 years ago
Hey there - I have to start picking out my granite, tile etc for a brand new kitchen. Do you guys recommend picking the countertop first (I want granite) or the backsplash tile? Cabinets are white shaker. Floor likely to be hardwood. Appreciate any advice!

Comments (12)

  • 12 years ago
    Cabinets and floor are your biggest swaths of color in the room, so those should be first, IMO. Floor needs to coordinate with countertop and backsplash, but counters are the bigger cost, so I would choose that first, and then move to backsplash. You "live" with your countertops, whereas your backsplash is more decorative/optional and there is less of it, though its visually important in the room. Look at kitchen pictures and squint at them, trying to see blocks or strips of color instead of floor, counter, cabinet. This "composition" is what makes a picture (art or photo) or a room visually pleasing. If one element is too heavy and overpowers all others, it won't look right. The eye should flow from one color to another. In monochromatic rooms, the texture changes make up this flow. Rooms end up looking sort of like landscape paintings when viewed like this. I think this is a good way to keep you on track to good basic design and not get too focused on detail too early. Really helps with color choices.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you! Great advice!
  • 12 years ago
    Do you have to choose the back splash right away. If you can get it done after you move in and see how things are working out. Get a few samples of backsplash and see how they look with your other choices - in different kinds of lite. Evening, daytime etc.

    I find it's the most difficult item to choose. What you think looks good in the showroom,
    sometimes just doesn't work.
  • 12 years ago
    Agreeing with touchadream thatcabinets and the floor are your biggest swaths of color in the room so you have to match your countertop and your backsplash with those.
  • 12 years ago
    You're getting good advice...but also need to think budget...sometimes like to go less expensive on floor, knobs, pulls and backsplash to be able to have an impressive counter :)
  • 12 years ago
    I would pick the granite first. We are starting our new kitchen soon. Also white shaker cabinets. I picked a particular slab of River White that had just the right movement and colors. We aren't even starting with a backsplash yet. Going to live with a painted backsplash for a while and decide later.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Granite is your first choice and your bigger investment.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Wow, so many rules! If you prefer a more busy granite I would go very simple for the backsplash, something like matte glass simple subway pattern in a neutral color to match the granite. If you are in love with some decorative tile splash keep the counter simple perhaps a solid caesar stone quartz slab.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks everybody! I went to a stone yard today and found two slabs I like. Just need to decide on which one. One is Sea Pearl quartz and the other is Azul Aran. Going to start searching houzz now for pics. LOVE this app! :)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It depends on which one you like best. Start looking at both and then see which one you fall in love and try to work with that choice.
  • 12 years ago
    I LOVE granite back splash 4" that matches the counter top. It Looks great for a classic look!