Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeperrone

Should we paint the brick white?

jeperrone
10 years ago
Floors are going to be hand scraped hardwood, wall has been removed, ceiling is going to be painted white and walls will be taupe.

Comments (23)

• PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    No, I would choose the brick wall to be the accent wall and paint it a bold color. Dark gray, charcoal will look great! Around the fireplace I would paint black color - to give the fireplace a "frame". This room is great already because you guys have the height and the beautiful ceiling beams, and you're also working on having the HW floors.
  • pitbulls
    10 years ago
    I like your brick. I would not paint it.
  • PRO
    KateDecor
    10 years ago
    White brick would create a modern look. Could be very fresh and sleek looking. Sherwin Williams has Loxon primer and Proclassic Latex Enamel just for that. Ask for their whites chart and check out "Extra White", "Pure White" or "Creamy". All would look nice with a taupe as they are subtle.
    jeperrone thanked KateDecor
  • Cat Rowe
    10 years ago
    No
  • LeiLani
    10 years ago
    YES! If you are not in love with that brick. There are lots of ideas on Houzz that will help you both decide on a color and provide proper guidance/technique.
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    10 years ago
    Not a great brick color, I would definitely paint it.
    jeperrone thanked Norwood Architects
  • PRO
    Amy Wax
    10 years ago
    I don't think it is a great brick color but I would paint the rest of the room in the taupes or grays and hang a large painting on the brick that is the conversation piece. It could be a large painting or an oversized photo. I have seen some black & white photos that are striking, something like that would be a cool look.
    jeperrone thanked Amy Wax
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    No, please don't paint it. It's a nice color.
  • quatorze
    10 years ago
    Whitewash, which can be tinted, is a great cover for brick as it can be removed later, as opposed to latex and oil paints, which are very difficult to remove, should one wish to do so. Whitewash also ages nicely - just think of all the New England houses whose whitewashed brick has worn gently away, exposing some of the brick underneath.
  • boysaboys
    10 years ago
    I am living in a home right now that has a white brick fireplace and it is awful. The other side of the wall which divides the dining room they left the brick natural and what a lovely warm look it has. Maybe the whitewash that someone suggested if it is super light weight - see through almost, but my vote is for a really large piece of art on the bricks the way they are. A large stand along fire screen would also look good.
  • regina5697
    10 years ago
    Do all the other installations first and see how you like it unpainted (my vote) and decide from there. Post pictures!!
  • User
    10 years ago
    No.
  • jeperrone
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I forgot to mention that the fireplace also goes around into the kitchen. I was going with Benjamin Moore's Ticonderoga Taupe on the walls in the living room with white ceilings and hand scraped hardwood floors throughout. The kitchen is going to have white cabinets on the top, grey cabinets on the bottom and super white granite counter tops. If I paint the brick a color instead of white, I will either have to paint the front side one color and the kitchen side another color or find a color that will work all the way around. I was also going to have a mantel built. Maybe paint the top part white and the bottom part a color? Add some sort of framing all the way around the top? I could also paint the hearth a darker color and make a square around the opening to frame the actual fire place a little.
  • boysaboys
    10 years ago
    Personally, I love that brick wall in your kitchen. Hand scraped floors sound wonderful. (is the look a bit rustic) Could you do the same to a chunky style mantle in the living room, only make it darker. i.e. blackish.
  • PRO
    Boards and Beams
    10 years ago
    Boards & Beams can spruce that great room up with some reclaimed wood beams and wide plank flooringh
  • PRO
    kelly mcguill home
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    If you decide to paint it white, it will give you a much cleaner and more versatile look!
  • PRO
    Budget My Build
    10 years ago
    I agree with The Wow House, I think the brick adds character. You may want to look into having the brick cleaned and sealed to bring out it's natural beauty.
    As far as the flooring we have a blog that may help.
    http://budgetmybuild.co/flooring/a-look-at-wood-floors/
  • jeperrone
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    If we do paint it, what finish paint should we use? Semi gloss? Eggshell?
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    leave the brick natural. you can always paint it later. hard to undo though.
  • PRO
    Comwest Construction
    10 years ago
    I would stain it with brick stain color it take a little more time however anybody can do it. Make a family project out of it and have fun.
    http://www.dyebrick.com/product/colourpanels.html
  • PRO
    KateDecor
    10 years ago
    My manager said Latex paint will bond to it no problem. So you wouldn't nec need the Loxon primer and Enamel. Just two coats of white paint. I think Eggshell is the most popular finish, but Semigloss is as well for doors and trim and fireplaces. Inside the fireplace you'd need a High heat paint and Sherwin doesn't sell it.
  • Cat Rowe
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I would hire a contractor and have a bookcase and cupboard built-in next to the fireplace on that wall and not remove it, and paint it cottage white. I love the fireplace. It is your home! It's the character and style of your home.