Software
Houzz Logo Print
sbrustein

Please help me choose a color to paint my brick fireplace

12 years ago
My den has a large brick fireplace. I really don't mind the brick, but dislike the gray/black mortar between the bricks. The walls are linen white, but I think I want to make them a more dramatic color. The sofa and love seat are new and a goldfish beige microfiber. The recliner is a burgundy leather. The ottoman coffee table s a dark brown leather. The beams are dark brown. The area rug is maroon, sage, light blue, beige and gold.

Comments (105)

  • 12 years ago
    If you want to paint your brick it will transform the room. The warm gold on your sample strip would be really homey. And then your dark mantle and plants would be more of a focal point.
  • 12 years ago
    Paint the fireplace brick same color as walls...a warm neutral. If you can, put up a new more substantial mantel and leave that a natural wood color. Remove chatchka and plants from fireplace area and use one substantial piece of artwork and a large basket for firewood logs.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Some great ideas here - but I have to say the trend is toward light these days - and probably for a reason - bringing in the light is so much easier to live with. Also - declutter the mantel. Not to be rude here - but a huge collection of photos on a mantel never looks great. If you need to display a lot of photos - find a wall and use a rail system to display them.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Sbrustein. Chocolate wall lady here. I feel very frustrated as I've tried to do renditions of paler colours on your walls but they just look terribly fake. Probably because of the ambient light in the room. I sense (I'm terribly sensitive you know) that you are leaning heavily towards painting the brick. Sob. Never mind, painted brick can be beautiful. My own brick fireplace is painted. My late husband did it while I was out one day. Grrrr. But it looks good. I do recommend not using a distinct colour if you paint the brick. Use a soft neutral. It need not be the identical colour to the walls, but should be in the same colour range. Get a pro to do it unless you or your nearest and dearest know what you're doing. An amateurish job can look awful. My hubby spent twenty years as a sailor painting the ship when there was nothing else to do, so he did fine.
  • 12 years ago
    Before painting the fireplace, I would take everything off the fireplace and lower the mantle. IMHO it needs to be closer to the firebox.....Put the mantle down till the corbels are just touching or beside the firebox. Then add your green plants (I love them...makes the house looks fresh) candle sticks and figurines (no pictures). Don't add too much. Then I would take down the valances....to me it dates a house.....I would paint the walls a cream color (similar to your couch) and hang cream colored sheers on the windows...leave the blinds.
  • 12 years ago
    After seeing your entertainment center and it's beautiful wood, I'm wondering if the bookcases on either side of your fireplace may look good painted the wall color...would make them blend in more. Love your couch.
  • 12 years ago
    The cornices above the windows are a very sentimental thing for me. My mother, was a designer, but also super handy and hands on. We did the cornices together ourselves. It was the last project we did before Mom got sick and died 4 months later . I actually love the bookcases. They have pretty detail on them that would be lost in painting. I am leaning towards painting the fireplace. My friend just covered hers with a stone and I guess I just don't love these rustic fireplaces that much. My living room fireplace in painted wood is much more my taste. First picture is a close up of the book case( there are 2 - one on either side of the fireplace ). The second picture is of my much preferred living room fireplace .
  • 12 years ago
    Rina- thanks for your input. I would definitely have this painted professionally. Have no fear. I have no time or talent for this task!
  • 12 years ago
    The bookcases are beautiful, and they don't at all want to snuggle up to a rustic fireplace. I get it.
  • 12 years ago
    Sbrustein...I agree with you on the paint colors you chose exactly. I've always been a fan of what I call a butterscotch color for warmth and homeyness (is that a word)? Several years ago I realized I had almost every room in the house painted some shade of yellow/gold! Living room was the shade you like with gold sofa. Sunlight coming in just makes everything glow! It will look gorgeous with your furnishings. It's obvious you have great taste...love your other fireplace and close up of bookshelves (John Irving). I've posted a room on here myself and all the opinions can make you crazy when you didn't expect them. You can spend a lot of time defending your choices or just moving things around but in the end, it's your home. I enjoyed the process but got a little overwhelmed. I think you will make good choices along with advice from your moms partner.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Well, sbrustein, if you really wanted your preferred fireplace, I've seen suggestions out here where you could, I believe, basically have someone put a sheetrock facade on the brick, and then you could add that style of mantel around the firebox-I hope that's the right word. That would still leave the brick on the floor, but you could then paint it, or whatever other choice you might still make. I'm not sure how much more expensive that would be, but then perhaps you'd really have the look you want.
  • 12 years ago
    The gold on the fire screen is really dated. We spray painted ours with special paint and it greatly improved things. Did take it off and did in garage but easy DIY project.
  • 12 years ago
    You could whitewash the brick to lighten it up and update it. Or paint it! Best thing I ever did was paint the brick surround and hearth on mine. It took me years to make the decision, one night to paint it, and the last few weeks to regret not doing it sooner.
  • 12 years ago
    Smartin- I went to the paint store today and picked up Benj. Moore samples. I mentioned it was for my brick fireplace and the guy was adamant that I had to use heat resistant paint. Others have said that its not necessary. What kind of paint did you use? Do you use your fireplace?
  • 12 years ago
    Bears- I think I would replace the door entirely. I agree very outdated. Or I may just remove it and get an obscuring fireplace screen.
  • 12 years ago
    We did close off original fireplace by enclosing with drywall, cement board around firebox, granite surround and traditional custom mantel but since you already have that in another room, it would be nice to have a different look. Painting the brick changes it from more rustic to refined, IMO.
    Don't think it's necessary to use heat resistant paint. Is the fireplace log burning or gas? If some of your bricks "return" to fire box, that might be the case, at least just in that area. But for the remaining wall, I can't imagine it would be necessary to use heat resistant.
  • 12 years ago
    Cindyguent- it's wood burning. We use it rarely since or reasonS that no one can explain, despite having ad it professionally cleaned and having the flue wide open when it's being used, the den smells like a wood fire for 2 weeks after. I would like to convert to gas, but it is making my husband nervous( not sure why- the gas range, gas dryer and gas line running into the grill on our deck don't ). The brick ends around the doors. Maybe the guy thought I was going to paint inside the fireplace, but I am not.
  • 12 years ago
    We didn't use heat resistant paint because we have gas logs and only painted the brick hearth, not around or inside the firebox.
  • 12 years ago
    I used heat resistant paint at my old house...it's expensive but I'm glad I did, even though I seldom burned anything in it. Since yours is large...I'm wondering if there is a way to use less expensive paint about a foot or two away from firebox?.. Same color / sheen of course. It was a royal pain to paint because of the porousness...I used BM recommended primer.

    Also, my designer recommended I use the darker shade on the walls and go one shade lighter for the fireplace.

    Your room is already great. Cozy, warm, chic, and inviting. Have some fun with these last few details! :)
  • 12 years ago
    If you are going to use the fireplace after you paint it, using the heat resistant paint will probably make the paint job last longer, because heat makes things expand. So, after a few years the paint on the brick would probably start to degrade from expanding and contracting so much from heating up when the fireplace is being used, to cooling down again when its not.
  • 12 years ago
    Losthorizonlisa- my designer wants the fireplace to be darker than the walls!! I have purchased a few samples and painted them on the poster board. Nothing so far is quite right- either too beige or too yellow.
    The designer suggested a yellow with a hint of green for the fireplace, which is pretty good, but we can't find a slightly lighter shad in that tone .
    Also- am I limited with color options with heat resistant paint? Can any paint be made heat resistant?
    Thanks for all your input.
  • 12 years ago
    Please do not paint your brick fireplace. Someone paid lots of money for that brick and it looks fine. Maybe change the size/look of the mantle or get a black fireplace (insert do they call them? instead of the gold. The simplest solution to me would be to put décor just in the center of your mantel - a little smaller in size than your fire area. I am no designer, but was on this site for the 1st time trying to choose roof color. I love the Real Original Expensive brick fireplace and I am sure many others wish they had one too. They come in real handy if your electricity ever goes out for an extended time - BLIZZARD ...... burrrrrr.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You have a very pleasant room there. The fireplace is ugly. I would either re-face it, or build a full wall surround with beautiful mantle.
  • 12 years ago
    You can change the colour of the fireplace without resorting to paint, maybe look at changing the pointing colour. A lighter mortar colour will make the brickwork look lighter.
  • 12 years ago
    Your designer wants? What do YOU want? Your designer is there to make you happy; not the other way around.
  • 12 years ago
    I realize your fireplace isn't going to be a DYI project, but here is a link that gives some good info about painting a fireplace. It says its not necessary to have heat resistant paint unless you are going to paint the inside of the firebox. However, the paint used on the remaining brick still needs to be able to withstand some heat.
    http://www.bhg.com/decorating/fireplace/styles/how-to-paint-a-brick-fireplace/
  • 12 years ago
    I have decided that the poster board color will be the wall color. The darker color on the chip will be the fireplace brick color. They are Benj. Moore Pearl Harbor and dark beige respectively. A painter is coming tomorrow for an estimate. I am excited!
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks lucindalane that is a useful article. so there has to be some heat resistance. This painter says he checks with the paint store people to see how the paint is rated before he agrees to use it. I will have him remove the doors, spray the brass black and put back on. Same for the brass fire utensil holder and fire utensils. I am now really psyched to do this
  • 12 years ago
    Nice choices. Pretty and subtle. Happy you're happy.
  • 12 years ago
    I think it's going to look wonderful. Can't wait to see how it goes! Keep us posted, please.
  • 12 years ago
    How's that painting going?
  • 12 years ago
    I got several estimates and chose a painter. The painter will start after Thanksgiving since my son will be home from college for the week. I can't wait to show it off!
  • 12 years ago
    I'm glad the article was helpful. Good luck with the project.
  • 12 years ago
    I love the look of painted brick- especially when it's painted off-white. I think painting the brick will look great.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you all. You have been great.
    I also picked the brain of a wonderful fireplace guy. I had issues with this fireplace despite having it professionally cleaned with a lingering smell of smoke in the room for several weeks after we made a fire. He asked me about the details of the house and fireplace and advised keeping a tray of kitty litter in the fireplace after to absorb residual smell. I am excited to try out that tip before considering a device called a vacu stat
  • 12 years ago
    I would look at options of refacing the fireplace if you have the budget. My girlfriend just had hers professionally painted and it's okay. There are so many cool applications now other than brick (that is if you're trying to cover it up). Have fun!!
  • 12 years ago
    Pirzadeh- I would definitely consider resurfacing if there was something that I liked a lot. I am not crazy about stone or stucco. And I am anxious to see the brick painted. If I hate it, I will consider something completely different.
  • 12 years ago
    grey - like the mortar
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Just wash it over with color, don't paint it thick.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I actually did this a few years back. I started with a medium beige and sponged on a metallic bronze over it. It looked beautiful with our golden walls. It still had texture, but softened it. Your wall is visually taking over the room because of it's size. I also agree to paint over the brass, but with a darker bronze color, not black. Good luck.
  • 12 years ago
    I meant paint the wall grey, not the brick btw
  • 12 years ago
    Juma- could I see a picture of your washed brick?
  • 12 years ago
    The job has just been completed! I am very happy with the results. We used Benjamin Moore Pearl Harbor Beige for the walls and Dark Beige for the brick. The fireplace doors were painted black as was the fireplace tools.
  • 12 years ago
    So glad you've reached your happy place with the room. What a huge transformation; it must feel totally different and much lighter -- the polar opposite of my early suggestion but very cheering. Also happy you've edited the mantlepiece down a bit :-).
  • 12 years ago
    Love the new look! You must be ecstatic to have a totally different look to this room now, one where the bricks and mortar don't take over. I think you made great choices; now you can kick back on the sofa and enjoy these other HOUZZ discussions.
  • 12 years ago
    I think Benjamin Moore's Soft Fern would look great on the walls in this room. As for the dark grout on the fireplace...go with it. Add small black -maybe wrought iron -accent pieces around the room sparingly. It's really a beautiful space. Good luck!
  • 12 years ago
    Jjgust- too late. Already panted a beige yellow tone. See my post above yours.
  • 12 years ago
    I think it looks great, sbrustein. I also have one of those full-wall red brick fireplaces, which is why I have been reading this thread. I am wondering about toning the color down a little with a glaze. Has anybody ever done that?
  • 9 years ago

    I would change the fireplace doors and leave the mortar with the brick. Looks like I'm too late with this comment by a few years!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    post from 2013

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio