Software
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Would you rather live at the Beach or in the Mountains?

12 years ago
Where would you rather make your home? On the ocean or in the mountains? Somewhere else?

Tell us! (Photos encouraged)
Other - Tell us below!

Comments (66)

  • 12 years ago
    We prefer to live between the two.
    Emily Hurley thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    I understand Port Townsend, WA is very nice,,it might work for you, Lampert Dias Architects:)
    Santa Cruz didn't do it for me...
    Emily Hurley thanked printesa
  • 12 years ago
    WASHINGTON STATE, west coast- you have the mountains AND the ocean. No better place.
    Emily Hurley thanked shelleyhmln
  • 12 years ago
    I like living between the two.
  • 12 years ago
    I like living between the two. Although I like the ocean, with so many storms here on the East Coast, NJ shore, NY etc where homes were destroyed, if I had to make a choice of permanent home, I would choose the Mountains.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    @shelleyhmln, let me guess, you live in WA state:) I lived in Portland, OR for a few years and I visit it every year..beautiful area and so is WA
  • 12 years ago
    Beach for me, I don't like snow, cold or heights or driving in hazardous conditions.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    We lived on the coast and then moved inland. No mountains close by but lots of hills to hike. There are very few places in Southern California we do not like :)
    Raisa
  • 12 years ago
    Born by the beach, always lived by the beach, married on the beach, I'll die by the beach, and you can bury me in the sand : )
  • 12 years ago
    Mountains. Too many loud tourists at the beach!
  • 12 years ago
    We always camp in the mountains (which we love) but vacation at the beach!
  • 12 years ago
    Mountains, without a doubt. I get headaches at sea level.
  • 12 years ago
    tough question, I want a house on the beach , all glass and a log cabin in the mountains
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I have to live close to the ocean. Every morning I walk by the harbors and inlets. I love the smell of the salt air and the marshes; I love all the wildlife. This has been home to me my entire life.
    The Little House on Cape Cod · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    I live near the beach in FL and hate the humidity! I like the mountains when I visit but would not want to live there. I have spent time in the desert and love it. My choice above all would be the high desert...cool breezes, arid atmosphere and wide open spaces!
  • 12 years ago
    I've lived in CO nearly all of my life. The mountains are amazing but I love the ocean! It's a rare treat for me!
  • 12 years ago
    Love them both but partial to the ocean, old salt that I am.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Ann, come to Cape Cod…the lower Cape. My friend’s children live in Denver and she loves to visit but loves to come home.
  • 12 years ago
    iamjudy, lucky you what a wonderful place to live!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Thanks, bluenan. it is pretty special. If you ever want to visit, let me know. There is a wonderful B & B, right on the Bay.

    Take a look at this link. It is right down the street from me. A dream location. The views are amazing (Pleasant Bay which goes out into the Atlantic), and the decor is just so comfy. I understand that the breakfast is presented so beautifully that guests take pictures of their meal.
    http://www.alittleinnonpleasantbay.com/
  • 12 years ago
    I'd like the mountains, with a ski in /ski out trail :)
  • 12 years ago
    We live at the beach- in Canada! So nice and warm in summer but not so great in the winter. Would love to spend winters by the mountains so we could at least ski! Cannot do much here in the winter except watch the lake freeze over!
  • 12 years ago
    Grew up near the shore, but love the mountains now.
  • 12 years ago
    I am so tired of the cold winters in Alberta and Alaska. I would love to live near the ocean. I have many fond memories of summer vacations spent in Cape Cod as a child. The sea beckons....
  • 12 years ago
    We live for 6 months on Vancouver Island in the Pacific & 6 months on Isla Mujeres, in the Carribean. No mountains for us. We're water babies.
  • 12 years ago
    Damn thats a tough choice! Both are amazing but if had to choose, beach it is! Probably because there are usually less bugs...LOL
  • 12 years ago
    Rocky Mountains for me.. Hands down
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    How about 6 months in each place. My summer home is in the mountains but I do love the beach!
  • 12 years ago
    Ideally, live on a hill near the ocean. But even more ideal would be to have a few homes, lol! I love Cali and there are many magnificent places to live. I live near the ocean and soon to live in a hilly area near the ocean. That is about as good as it gets. :)
  • 12 years ago
    Lakefront, sandy beach optional. (Dog-friendly beach is not optional.) Ideally one with some nice woods around it for long walks with the pooches or even better, some horseback trail riding before a nice relaxing dinner overlooking the sunset over the lake.
  • 12 years ago
    Beach!
  • 12 years ago
    Born in a seaside town love the smell of the sea.
  • 12 years ago
    Mountains.
  • 12 years ago
    Lampert Dias Architects Inc From the top of the Troodos Mountains in Cyprus you can see the coastline.
  • 12 years ago
    State of Maine solves both for me. Plus with the New England winters and devoid of practically all "civilization" (Starbucks on every corner, big box stores/fast food/chain stores/strip malls, fun, and so on) will keep about 99% of Americans away.
  • 12 years ago
    beach!
  • 12 years ago
    I live on a mountain looking at the beach. Yay Olympic peninsula!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Let's see...I can have my choice of hurricanes or mud slides and forest fires. I think I'll live where I live and just visit(preferably out of hurricane/mud slide and fire season).
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Beach front on the side of a mountain :-)
  • 12 years ago
    Verve, think you mean Washington DC (District of Columbia)? We have a town in Bucks County, PA called Washington's Crossing, its where George Washington crossed the Delaware River December 24 1776 http://www.ushistory.org/washingtoncrossing/
  • 12 years ago
    oh, just read the past comment :) it was meant, Washington State with is furthest North Western USA
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Close to the beach! I love going for a swim, and hanging out at the beach, and I love the sound seagulls make!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    For those that like both come visit Santa Cruz Ca during the summer. The redwoods and ocean are separated by only a few miles the weather is beautiful.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I live in Sunny Miami, but sometimes I do miss the mountains. I guess you miss what you don't have all the time.

  • 11 years ago

    I think both are nice if the climate is not extreme in either location, I love mountain scenes though!

  • 11 years ago
    I'd live at the beach but vacation occasionally in the mountains.
  • 11 years ago
    I grew up by the beach but have lived inland for 20 years. At first I missed the ocean terribly, but have grown to appreciate the mountains with their distinct seasons. I still need a regular blue water fix, particularly where I can hear the regular thump of waves on the shore - which feels like the heartbeat of mother earth to me - and we will retire back to the beach in a few years.
  • 11 years ago
    I choose the beach because I love the salty sea air, and it would be awesome going to to the beach whenever you want
  • 9 years ago

    I'm probably going to go with "by the beach," because I lived and grew up in a house in a neighborhood surrounded by a private beach, which became kind of our "back yard" reality and living environment. I need to be connected in some sort of way to the beach and ocean. --But this doesn't mean I wouldn't pass up on having a weekend or summertime getaway place away in the mountains, surrounded by forest, lakes or ponds, as well... ;)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Nice to have your concurrence Gary. I too grew up by the beach , though perhaps not as private as your beach was. We live by two beaches presently! - one the gentle bay and one roaring ocean surf - on a narrow isthmus, just few hundred metres from each. I tried the mountain / country lifestyle once - complete with water hole and river, but it's salt water that runs thru my veins : )