Software
Houzz Logo Print
ams1976

People who have dark wood floors...

12 years ago
I'm going to probably get walnut wood floors in my new home. Does it show dirt real bad? Are they hard to keep clean looking?

Comments (15)

  • 12 years ago
    Have very dark floors in my house and they look great - not a cleaning problem unless you have a light fur pet
  • 12 years ago
    I don't know about dark stain wood floors, but i lived in light color wood stain floors; they didn't show the dust.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    My dark flooring shows dust if I don't sweep or Hoover for a few days ! :-(
    It does look fabulous - but as I'm not overly into hoovering it probably wasn't the best choice for me ! But it does spur me into action more often - so that's probably a good thing !! Also I cheat and I have a robot Hoover that I plonk in that room and it vacuum's for me !!!
  • 12 years ago
    Interesting one plan, can you program the vacuum to go in patterns, say around furniture shaped like a dodecahedron?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think it can cope with decahedron shape ! but still occasionally gets lodged under the sofa - which ever pattern I select !!:-(
  • 12 years ago
    Tip though, if you have a gecko send it under and it will push out the vacuum when it gets stuck. That's what we do.

    OP we are about to put in walnut flooring and I'm expecting to have to Hoover more often.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, dark floors will show the dust ... we have them and I pass a cordless, lightweight vacuum around almost daily. I do love them though and we are not sorry.
  • 12 years ago
    Look on the bright side, walnut floors will show dust and footprints less than espresso floors! (But they will show more than a medium tone).
  • 12 years ago
    LOL shelleyuk!
  • 12 years ago
    The trend now is for grey and grey based colours so take that into account unless you are against trends.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    yes they do show dust but if you keep a matt and rugs by the doors you be ok get one of those shark mops there easy and fast
  • 12 years ago
    I have dark wood throughout and when direct sunlight hits it you can see the dust unfortunately however it makes decorating really easy and I would not change it
  • 12 years ago
    We too love the look of American walnut floors, but the wood is very soft. We changed our plan and are going with Mercier "São Paulo" tigerwood. It is almost twice as hard, but slightly darker finish. We will get the satin finish to reduce the appearance of dust.
  • 12 years ago
    We have walnut floors throughout the house in a satin sheen. I've not had to vacuum or sweep anymore than I did in my last house which had light colored oak floors. I vacuum or sweep twice per week, but dust is the least of my problems. It's the 3 cats and wool rugs shedding everywhere. Not even the oak was a match for that. Love the walnut, and I say get it if that's what you want. It's great to be educated on how durable different woods are, but dust showing more on one versus another wouldn't be a deterrent for me.