Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjk1108

Help with bathroom sink and vanity located in master bedroom

mjk1108
10 years ago
I am working on remodeling, without going too extreme, my master bedroom and bathroom. One of the things that is kind of annoying about my house is that the bathroom vanity and sink are off the side of the bedroom, while the toilet and tub are in the bathroom. I have attached a pic that will give you an idea. To the right is the toilet and shower/tub, to the left is a walk in closet, and in between the sink and vanity.

In my opinion it is a really stupid design, because the carpet it right next to the vanity, and it looks like an after thought. If this was a house I planned on living in for many years, I'd section the entire area off with a wall to a separate the bathroom. But this is my first house, far from a dream house, and a house I don't want to be in longer than 5 years. So I just want to make it appealing without turning away potential buyers.

The ugly vanity lighting is going, along with the mirror. I plan on putting new vinyl flooring in the bathroom, but should I remove the carpet in front of the vanity and install vinyl there also? Or will that look tacky?

I am in need of ideas here

Comments (41)

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    If your cabinet hardware (knobs and pulls) has not been updated recently, you could do that too. Here's another type of light that would work on each side of the mirror. It costs about $45 and takes a 100 watt bulb.
    Alexa 1-Light Bath Sconce · More Info
  • qam999
    10 years ago
    Definitely ceramic or porcelain tile. You can get gorgeous, high-end tiles for $5 / sf and buyers will swoon.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I would recommend installing a neutral tile in the bathroom. The floor in front of the vanity should be the same as the rest of the bedroom, so don't install vinyl just in that area. I think you will feel a lot better once you change the light and mirror above the vanity, as it will make a huge difference.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    I think that tile would be fine in front of the vanity as a continuation from the bathroom. The vanity is, after all, really a part of the bath and not the bedroom, so I would give it flooring to match the rest of the bath.
  • jackson4500
    9 years ago
    I have the exact same problem... What did you do?
  • Denita
    9 years ago
    Hopefully the original poster will come back to answer your question. In the meantime there are several things you can do: you can case the opening smaller; or use barn doors to close the opening. It makes more sense to have the flooring tile to coordinate with the bath than to keep the carpet from the bedroom area. It is the materials you use in the vanity area that will update it as well as the ability to close it off. Here are a couple of inspiration pics with vanities showing into the bedroom area
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/2011-dream-home-bedroom-at-merchandise-mart-transitional-bedroom-chicago-phvw-vp~213864

American Beauty by Thom Filicia · More Info

serenity · More Info
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    the cheapest fix that will change the style quick, is to change out that light fixture and frame the mirror. both diy projects. i would paint the cabinets white too...mostly rip out that carpet!!!
  • terrign
    9 years ago
    I have the same problem and would like to tile the vanity area. However, there is a hallway that leads from my bedroom to my vanity area with not a clear dividing line. Do you think it would work to tile my vanity area the same as the bath area?
  • alaska1
    9 years ago
    You must get rid of the carpet! I would go with a white cabinet with a white marble or beige marble top! Also I would have the whole back mirrored or framed out with the mirror ! Reason being you have too much wall around it! It needs to be one cohesive piece!
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    Old Post
  • terrign
    9 years ago
    That was another poster's picture. My bathroom is worse. I've posted some pictures below.
  • Edith Lunceford
    8 years ago

I have the same problem!

• terrign
    8 years ago

I have decided to tile the vanity area with something that blends with my carpet. What did you decide to do?

• Jeannine Myers
    8 years ago

I have the same problem. I'm wondering how far out from the vanity and into the bedroom to put the tile floor???

• dublindarling
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I, too, have the vanity and sink open to the bedroom with the shower and toilet in a separate room to the left, and a walk-in closet to the right of the vanity. After much contemplation, I am going to use antique doors to slide open and closed (like the barn door track system, but less rustic) to close off the bathroom from the bedroom so it will no longer look like a Motel 6. I am using marble tile on the vanity floor and the bathroom floor, but have not decided on the closet floor yet. Should I do hardwood to match the bedroom floor, or marble to match the bathroom floor? I will also be ripping out the enormous cabinet that takes up most of the space in the bathroom, pulling out the plastic shower, and replacing it with marble tile surround. I am also considering tiling the walls midway up the wall in the bathroom part, but not in the vanity part. Comments? Suggestions?

• Michelle Chiba
    8 years ago
    I had the same problem so I took out the door between the vanity and bathroom and pulled the walls back a bit and made it an opening. Then I made the floor continuous by ripping out flooring in bathroom and vanity area and took out the doorway threshold and put the same tile throughout. Then I framed in a wall and put in a pocket door into the vanity area.
  • gina2385
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago
    • Please post pictures, did you keep only one sink ? I have the same problem.
  • Pam Backstrom
    8 years ago

I have the exact layout, toilet, shower to the left, closet to the right.

• paperlesspenny
    8 years ago

ignia, dublindarling, jeannine, terrign - what did you all end up doing to solve this issue? mchiba and others - do you have photos? I'm in the process of fixing up our vanity area which has this same kind of layout. Plan is to install a modern barn door to separate the vanity from bedroom, and make the flooring tile match the toilet/tub area rather than the bedroom. However I'm keeping the vanity and toilet/tub rooms separate, because my husband and I are frequently on the same schedule and the functionality really works for us. But, I took out the old standard interior door and am installing a pocket door in its place so the separation is optional - the same kind of flexibility I like about the barn door.

• TJW
    7 years ago

Hoping to find more suggestions & remodel photos before & after. Why oh why would they put part of the bathroom in the bedroom!? Our master was an add-on 2nd floor, so 2' from the top of the stairs is wall - closet wall - with the same basic 1970's configuration everyone is frustrated with. Walk-in (square) closet to the right, toilet & shower (we built open shower after ripping out horrid harvest gold tub) - both enclosed by shutter style doors. The ancient vanity sits in between.

I would like to create a 'real' master bathroom by moving (okay, tearing down and rebuilding) the wall between the shower/toilet and the current bedroom. Probably run the new wall all the way to the closet and have to reconfigure how we enter the bedroom. Has anyone done a major Reno to create a master bath completely SEPARATE from the master bedroom? Details, ideas, measurements, pics? Please?

This remodel is about a year out as my current concern is downstairs: kitchen, bath, laundry.

• moneypittek
    6 years ago

I have a similar problem. Toilet and small shower in room to right. Soak/jetted tub next to double vanity open to bedroom. The ceilings are vaulted. Would like to enclose so spouse can sleep if I get up early. Help

• gina2385
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Still the same, we will remodel this Summer. Putting 2 small rectangular sinks, floating vanity, corner shower.. maybe a slide barn door. Hard to change wall, we think they support the house. Sorry for the mess... Our vanity is 57 in , it looks like we will have to get it make, no way we can find one in the size. Did you did any remodeling?

View from the room, on the left toilet and shower and on the right closet.

• Jennifer Bell
    6 years ago

I love that flooring! I think instead of ripping out the vanity I'd paint that one white or grey, get fabulous hardware and find an amazing mirror, bigger than what's there, stalk Homegoods.

If you do choose to get a new vanity, just buy a 50-55 inch slide in! I found some online, granted not as many as 48 or 60 inch. If you went 48 you could put matching baskets on either side (towels, hamper?) to help stabilize the space.

• gina2385
    6 years ago

Thanks Jennifer, i like your idea.

• gina2385
    6 years ago

We finally redid our vanity. My husband used solid Cherry , long sink with double faucets, beautiful counter top. It was not cheap but I love it.

• Denita
    6 years ago

What a beautiful job you and your husband did with that vanity.

• gina2385
    6 years ago

Thanks Denita, next is the guest bathroom.

• tdecker101
    6 years ago

Igina, how are you liking the 2 faucet sink? We too have the same configuration of of sinks and vanity in the master bedroom and are looking what others did to solve the problem

• gina2385
    6 years ago

Hi Tdecker101 , we like it , much better than before, we really did not want to go through all the problems of a big remodeling, put down wall etc ... When we use together we have plenty room. We thought about tow small sink but we like this one better. We had only 52 in to work on it.

• Jennifer
    4 years ago

I know this was an old post, but I had to express appreciation bc I am planning a remodel in a rental prop and was considering adding a shower and toilet into a closet and making the sinks part of the MBR. Now that I've read the responses I have totally reconsidered! My thought was that it would provide separation for someone wishing to wash/brush teeth etc from the steam/smells/privacy of the other section. It also would keep the MBR from feeling as small. Oh well! Thanks for the (old) input :-)

• Danna
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I need HELP!!! If anyone knows a contractor in Dallas please let me know. Toilet and tub/shower on left closet on the right.

• Kimberley Foster
    3 years ago

I have same issue but never really considered it an issue except mine is weird bcuz thr closet isnt really a bedroom closet but it is pretty big. Im considering adding a corner shower and making the bathroom a lil bigger by taking out the huge storage cabinet im in a double wide trailer

• Pam Backstrom
    3 years ago

I am seriously looking at my design options now. My doorway into my toilet and shower is only 24 inches wide. I need to move the wall out into my bedroom, which then makes my master bedroom smaller. I have a king-sized bed that will no longer fit, causing me to have to get a smaller bed. Not sure which way to go.

• Lori Lawrence
    2 years ago

I have this configuration and we solved it by treating it like a boutique hotel would. The ceiling in the area is sloped with a skylight (coming down from the vaulted bedroom area), so closing it off would have 1. made the room feel smaller and 2. required lots of framing/expense. Instead, we tiled with rustic multi-hued tiles (narrow strip pieces in multiple colors, including some copper pieces) from the vanity to the ceiling, framed the mirror so that it filled from wall to wall, and put up a new light fixture with a "pottery barn" feel. We tiled the vanity and backsplash with a complimentary tile that we also used on the floor in the bathroom. Then we painted the vanity dark brown and replaced the hardware. I am wishing we would have done a vessel sink, but what we have looks fine.

In the end, the vanity/mirror makes the room feel much larger, the pieces tie together, and the tile wall adds texture and interest. Is having the vanity and sink in my bedroom ideal? No. But it's also not a deal breaker since it is so lovely to look at.

• gina2385
    2 years ago

Lori, post a picture.

• Alicia Hall
    2 years ago

Most houses built in the 80s had this. 🤦🏾‍♀️ I redid mine this way:

• Erika Salazar
    last year

i have the same style vanity bathroom and i can't stand barn doors. what does everyone think of putting sliding type closet doors to enclose space without building out a door.

• Bre B
    8 months ago

What is this configuration called. We are in the process of a total bedroom/bath remodel. The bedroom opens to a room with a double sink vanity on the right and closet on the left that opens to a room with a seperate tub, toilet and shower. I have never been able to find a name for the sink/vanity area. We also have no way to add a door or barn door between the bedroom and sinks as there is electrical inside the walls by the doorway. There is a skylight in both bathroom areas so we can't block out morning sun. Any suggestions?

• Bre B
    8 months ago

• Bre B
    8 months ago