Software
Houzz Logo Print
stadelco

Please help with decorating!

12 years ago
Our house is open concept entryway to dining room and great room and I need help decorating. We are putting wood floors throughout because we hate the tile path between entryway/dining/great room. The dining room light fixture needs to go, I have the table extended right now but doesn't have to stay that way. I have been thinking about getting rid of the blinds for white ones, poss curtains or other shade but am stuck with the rainbow windows?? Any and all ideas welcome! Thanks!

Comments (14)

  • 12 years ago
    Another view of dining room
  • 12 years ago
    Great room
  • 12 years ago
    maybe a big arrangement on the coffee table not to tall .. and some toss pillows with a little more color to bring out some warmth , maybe an area rug under the coffee table with colors to match the toss pillows and arrangement .... hope this helps ... a picture on the wall behind the lamp.
  • 12 years ago
    stadelco- we have very very similar set up. I too have the arched windows. Have you considered plantation shutters in white?
  • 12 years ago
    The coffee table seems a bit small,,,it might be the photo. You might want to consider a few colorful pillows since everything in the room is brown. It depends what colors you like,,you might want some yellow or orange..something to brighten it up a bit. The piece of furniture under the TV seems small and lonely. Can you fit there something longer?
    If you instal wood floor throughout the house, the entire space will look better instantly.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes there is room for something larger under the tv. I was thinking about a chair next to the media cabinet.
  • 12 years ago
    You could add something vertical next to it since the TV is not centered. I'm not very familiar with IKEA, but I believe they have units that can be combined so that fits the space you have. Someone here might be able to tell you exactly which ones work. I would have a longer piece under the TV instead of a chair.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I'm sure the dining table looks better when closed and centered under the light. Have you ever tried it extended but turned the other direction? Does it fit and stay centered? Your furniture in the LR appears to be "up against the walls!" I think I would have hung the TV on the wall between the stair railing and the window, left of the FP on a swing arm mount. That way the sofa and chairs could have floated in the middle. Do pull the chairs forward so they seem to be participating in the grouping. The entire arrangement could be linked with an area rug. A larger round coffee would break the matched "set" of coffee and end tables. The table lamp is too small and the tryptich needs to be lowered some. I'd like to see the sectional pulled away from the railing and the back of it aligned with the left window frame and the column. You'd should be able to use the sofa table behind it. That would allow for something visually more weighty, taller and more substantial in the foyer to counter balance the visual weight of the china cabinet and dining table. You could actually move the tryptich to the foyer for now and add a pair of lamps on the sofa table.
    Admiral's House · More Info
    San Francisco Pacific Heights Residence · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    I agree with deco. If the tv could go on the wall closer to the fireplace you could rearrange the furniture so that the fireplace becomes the focal point of that room. Most of your small tables are too small for that room. I would like to see the dark shade go too. I like white over windows unless the light coming in through the windows is just too much. A rug under the sectional (if you move it) would tie the seating together. Larger side tables, lamps and coffee table would "beef up" this large space and make it more intimate. Sofa pillows and throw colors could be taken from the rug you choose as well as the lamps shapes and shades. You have a great space to work with! Go for it!
  • 12 years ago
    I have all the dark wood blinds replaced with white, and have moved the furniture away from the walls. I am now looking for ideas for area rugs, what do I do since the dining and living are open to each other? Also, looking to replace the media cabinet as it is too small for the space, it was bought for our last house. Would love something more interesting, possibly a color?? Pillows and lamps will be replaced after the rugs are picked. Thanks for all the help I really want to get these rooms finished, floors getting installed in 2 weeks. I picked a dark oak( mannington homestead). I attached a picture of it. Thanks for the input!
  • 12 years ago
    New blinds
  • 12 years ago
    I agree with white to replace the wood blinds. Use custom 2 1/2" or 3"plantation shutters and have the oval top pieces made to fit. These would be beautiful and kick up the style of your pretty room while being a functional solution to privacy and light control. Maybe add a few brighter color pillows to your sectional, a green plant to the fireplace hearth and a few more dramatic statement pieces to the mantel. Love the wall paint colors!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would do a fabric window treatment. A Silhouette window shading would be a softer look than the wood blinds.