Software
Houzz Logo Print
hyle_robbins

Guest bathroom

12 years ago
Hi I have small guest bathroom that I have little space for towel rack Should I even put towel rack here or hang pics behind toliet

Comments (30)

  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would put a towel ring (takes up less space) on the wall in the second picture with guest towels on it. Then put a picture (large) or group smaller ones above the toilet.
  • 12 years ago
    I not sure I know what floating shelves are could u send me pics I
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree with yoboseiyo, floating shelves above the toilet will definitely give you the best use of space with the option to use them for many things. If it is a guest bath, I would suggest room for towels since many guest don't like to search for them, but there are plenty of small-space options other than your traditional towel bar, which can protrude up to 4" from the wall.

    You can use a wall wine rack to store rolled up towels, just make sure to find the right size.
    Traditional Bathroom · More Info


    You could find a thin ladder to hang towels. You could cut a vintage wood ladder down to the appropriate size, or you could make a towel rack like this on your own. It's great for a small bathroom with a rustic look.
    Houzz Tour: Industrial DIY Farmhouse in Ohio · More Info


    With the floating shelves, you can choose deeper or shallower shelves depending on what you need, or you can choose shelving according to your style. Here's some comtempory shelves floating over a bath.
    Mod Bath · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    I like a towel ring because it takes up less space. Put the towel ring on the wall with the outlets. Then you can use the area behind the toilet for the things yoboseiyo suggested :) I wash towels in our towel ring almost everyday because we use our downstairs bath as much as our upstairs baths. Towels in a ring can get stinky faster because they get bunched up in the ring. Enjoy your project! Post pics when you get it it done :)))
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Floating shelves just means that the hardware that holds the shelf up does not show. The more open appearance makes a small area feel roomier, which is why it's great for a small bathroom.

    Here are some more examples:
    Dunsany Road · More Info

    RENTAL ReSTYLE: Small Bath Makeover · More Info

    Anat Shmariahu · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    lol : We have sliding doors to our shower/tub, so our towel rack is the top of the sliding glass doors. Hang pictures if you want, but in my case, my other half has shelves and she stores whatever on them. I have yet determined her system of madness. lol
  • 12 years ago
    Or hange a decent cabinet. You can fit more in it & close the doors on things like extra TP that are not particularly decorative.
  • 12 years ago
    @keesee : love those floating shelves
  • 12 years ago
    Curt, my hubby does the same thing! Drives me nuts. I tell him one more towel in the wash won't make any difference. Maybe it's a "man" thing :D
  • 12 years ago
    @happyasaclam
    Ref: Chess: Check & mate i.e. your point takened and understood
  • 12 years ago
    Curt, LOL! No chiding or nagging intended :) It's just a "woman" thing :D
  • 12 years ago
    One thing I omitted on the other side of the toliet is a built in closet with doors I was mainly go put a towel rack behind toliet for looks rather than usefulness.....since I have linen closet already is it ok not to have towels hanging in bathroom.im recently divorced so I'm new to the decorating thing but I get really great ideas on here.....
  • 12 years ago
    I prefer some sort of towel rack or ring to put a towel on. I once stayed in a very nice hotel and there was no place to hang the towel. It was very inconvenient.
  • 12 years ago
    Put either a ring or bar near the sink. You don't need a towel above the toilet. :)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hello Hyle Robbins

    I agree, floating shelves are a great addition for artwork and rolled up hand towels for guests etc. You could also inset a small cabinet into the wall between the studs which acts as storage for some things you may not want on display, but still has an open shelf below for some knock knacks. You can see this in my portfolio of 'The Kodiak Spa' project at www.behance.net/HeritageCarpentry. You could add a rack below this for hanging towels if necessary.
    Good luck
    Cheers
    Andrew McL
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Knick knacks
  • 12 years ago
    I only have one bathroom so it has to serve guests. When I have company I take away the hand towel and put out a clear acrylic tray with decorative paper hand towels. When just me I have a chrome hook on the vanity door for a hand towel
  • 12 years ago
    condomary, love your ginko tray! :) My favorite tree.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree with condomary. I use the disposable hand towels for company. They come in all different designs and colors. Company won't have to share a towel. This will free up your space for art.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hyle Robbins, if you already have a linen closet, you don't need a towel rack. Why take up more space for things you already have storage for? Floating shelves can provide space for other things that you may want in the bathroom. You can put art on or above the shelves, a box of tissues, lotion is a nice touch, or you can add a plant (fake or real) or candle(s). If you're newly single and decorating isn't your thing, just go for simple stuff. Art or framed photos always look great and are an easy addition to shelves, tissues will take up good space, and a candle is always a good thing to have burning when you have guests over. If you still have empty space and you're not sure what to add, roll up some extra hand towels. They always look neat, clean, and welcoming - and it's perfect "decor" for a bathroom. (See "Rental ReStyle: Small Bath Makeover" in my previous post for ideas.)

    I'd also add some sort of towel holder (ring or tray) to the vanity area just to keep one towel handy.
  • 12 years ago
    My floating shelves lost their license because they kept crashing into my flying carpet.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Bonjour, We did a guest bathroom with little space and this was our solution.

    Appeasing suite · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hey Chook. LOL
  • 12 years ago
    I would put a colorful piece of art there
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Have you thought about a back-of-the-toilet shelving unit? I really like the look of them in a small bathroom, they give lots of storage space and still look very elegant and tasteful.
  • 12 years ago
    Shelving units like the one Oregon Re-Bath has posted sometimes have a ring attached. This particular unit is very nice. The doors do make it look very stylish and I like the option of having an extra electic outlet, although I can see instances where that might be a dangerous idea, especially with kids :)
  • 12 years ago
    I just found this pic how would small shelve look below the pic?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think a small shelf would look great below your picture. Since the frame has a dark border and you have a darker curtain rod, go with a dark stain or painted shelf.
  • 12 years ago
    Pics are great, Hyle. Then a shelf under it, and you're set to go!