Software
Houzz Logo Print
1mrhansen

Who likes their wastebasket in a pull out cabinet?

12 years ago
Deciding wether I should get a pull-out waste basket or the regular under the sink. Do you like yours?

Comments (29)

  • 12 years ago
    So necessary in kitchen and bathroom...I don't like looking at trash.
    1mrhansen thanked dclostboy
  • 12 years ago
    Had it for 15 years, loooove it! Preferably where you are preparing for cooking...
    1mrhansen thanked myownstyle13
  • 12 years ago
    Do it! We love ours! Convenient, but hidden, and daughter's dog can't knock it over!
    1mrhansen thanked rredpenn
  • 12 years ago
    Love mine under the sink. So funny, everyone who visits and tries to find trash can has to ask, " where do you keep the trash?"
    1mrhansen thanked User
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Under the sink garbage usually has smaller container but it doesn't take up room in other parts of the kitchen.
    1mrhansen thanked Dytecture
  • 12 years ago
    Love mine. Debated since I would lose a cabinet but so glad I did.
    1mrhansen thanked figosmom
  • 12 years ago
    Love ours, both trash and recycling are out of sight.
    1mrhansen thanked User
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Love it - and yes dual trash and recycling
    1mrhansen thanked David Frosch
  • 12 years ago
    If you mean in the kitchen, we have one in our island which we really like...never had one before. It's garbage pullout is close to the sink but the island is where I have all my baking supplies and equipment in large drawers.
    1mrhansen thanked edithsmom
  • 12 years ago
    Love it, I have trash and recycling pull-outs in my island.
    1mrhansen thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Love mine.
    1mrhansen thanked Deb Agrey
  • 12 years ago
    For a while I did, but then I tried a motion sensor lid garbage can and now I really like that for in the kitchen because you can throw things away with messy hands without making everything else dirty. If I was going to put a pull out garbage can in again, I'd want to put some kind of foot opening mechanism so you could get access without using mucky hands on the door.

    In bathrooms it depends on available space - in the powder room/guest access room I tend to go with a cute lidded small can because then it's right there for anyone who needs it and no one has to feel bad about 'snooping' to look for the trash. (But as I've mentioned before, my in-laws were Very Very British about feeling like they were intruding or snooping so hated having to open cabinets to find things, so I'm used to catering to them a little.)
    1mrhansen thanked KD
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    wow, thank you everyone. I have a sink in the island (prep area) and a main sink for dishes, I also hesitate because of using up cabinet space, but sounds overwhelmingly yes, should I put one at both? Never thought about the bathroom, great idea.
  • 12 years ago
    I had one for recycling and one for trash in island with 4 drawers on the other end. Really miss it!
    1mrhansen thanked bobbi55
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think you will be very happy with a pull out in a cabinet but with a foot pedal so that you are hands free. Many times when cooking your hands are contaminated when throwing out trash and using a foot pedal becomes a sanitary necessity.
    1mrhansen thanked All About Interiors LLC
  • 12 years ago
    @All About Interiors LLC - So that's definitely something that exists?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Absolutely! trash and recycling in pullout cabinets next to the sink or prep area. Looks better, saves floor space and works great if you have a big dog that won't stay out of exposed trash bins (like ours)
    1mrhansen thanked Daniel DeSantis Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    I don't have room under kit or bath sink for pull outs. I have RackSack attached on the inside of a door.
    1mrhansen thanked condomary
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    did you decide to go with a pull out trash cabinet MRHansen?
  • 12 years ago
    Brenda, Yes I decided to sacrifice storage and put it next to both the prep and main sink. The kitchen is pretty large so I think it will be great. I appreciate the input.
  • 12 years ago
    best of luck with the renovation. hope you'll post photos when it is complete.
    1mrhansen thanked Brenda
  • 12 years ago
    Love them. If you're concerned about cleaning handles after using them with dirty hands, some manufacturers now have foot pedal activated ones.
    1mrhansen thanked annmarie2
  • 12 years ago
    Off the subject but does anyone have ideas about paper towel holders? My cabinet guy doesn't do the open paper towel dispenser under the counter. I don't want to do what I have now by having the dispenser under the upper cabinets.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It is a must in the kitchen! Do both bins trash and recycling in the pull-out cabinet. You will love it!
    1mrhansen thanked DC Interiors & Renovations
  • 12 years ago
    I just purchased new kitchen cabinets and included a pull out trash cabinet with a drawer over the top (separate). But then I started to wonder, even though the contents of the drawer doesn't touch the trash, is it unsanitary to use a drawer above a trash cabinet for silverware?
  • 12 years ago
    It would be great if you don't have kids. They constantly miss the can and the you have garbage getting all gross in your cabinets and it is a lot harder to clean. You can't take the cabinet out and hose it down.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    To avoid the problem with the kids missing the can, get the wastebasket that fits the size and the shape of the cabinet. Also I have attached a picture with a good example of using a wastebasket in a pull-out cabinet.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    That picture did not show up well. Here you go a different one.