Software
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (73)

  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    There are a few things I would do in addition to the art. I would spray paint the brass surround on the fireplace black, move the little table out in between the chairs and remove the two black lamps. I would then move the two chairs but not sure where. I might even move the two lamps on the chest you have in the room but I would like to see another picture of the whole space.
    konthip loatman thanked tennisanyone
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    any input on the art?
  • 12 years ago
    I like the last painting you shared with the blocks of color. I think it blends well with the other colors that you already have in the room.
    konthip loatman thanked Melissa E
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I like this one you posted but in a frame color closer to your coffee table finish. What size are you thinking?
  • 12 years ago
    I like the art in the first picture (one on left) of your first post. The frame ties in the drapes nicely and the colors are more muted, letting the other accessories stand out.
    konthip loatman thanked mmilos
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    amy - thanks to you i am going horizontal and the size i was thinking is at least 40" long and max of 32" to make it not higher than the drapes.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    tennisanyone - am working on posting the pix of the rest of the room which is in constant flux.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    here we go.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    oh i forgot to post the most important part of the room which is my grandsons laptop cafe bar where they can watch their pbs kids stuff or use the computer.
  • 12 years ago
    What about editing your art and accessory collection down and lean some smaller art pieces against each other on the mantle?

    Menlo Park · More Info
    konthip loatman thanked mmilos
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    seems like there are three contenders -- the muted one, the same artist but not so muted and the block of colors. i am not good at making decisions. anymore input???
  • 12 years ago
    They are all great. Good job. Pick the one you liked when you first saw it.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    menlo park - always wanted to do that but not sure which pieces to use and also am afraid of the area being to cluttered. i have a hard time editing since i love everything and want to display them. i love contemporary/modern yet have a hard time being a minimalist. is there a compromise???
  • 12 years ago
    Wow, don't know why you need advice, you have lovely taste. One suggestion, angle the curio cabinet on the left instead of flat against the wall. You would have to remove a couple of prints.
    konthip loatman thanked Angel 18432
  • 12 years ago
    I can only hope that you purchased something that you just love, not just what you think looks good there. Too many people hang what they THINK that they should, without taking into account what they are going to be living with every day.
    konthip loatman thanked N Apple
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    i love them all. my dilemma is whether to go vibrant or subdued? thinking maybe subdued would last longer as far as getting tired of it or having it loose it's appeal over time.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I like art in links but, I think in such a big space that you can beef up scoop or mat and frame. A really good piece of art can stand alone OR handle good framing. I would not be limited by drapery rod height. ART + mantle + fireplace all a composition on wall. Strong art and framing is good and should be the place your eye goes to when entering space. I think your decorating is just fine and very lovely and inviting. it feels personal to me and I really appreciate that.
    konthip loatman thanked Siegler Design Services + INTERIORS
  • 12 years ago
    Art should be something that you love to look at. I know you didn't ask but have you ever tried the chest by the couch under the TV to add weight to that side of the room. I would also move the matching chair where you have the brown one just like that facing into the room.
    konthip loatman thanked tennisanyone
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    thanks for your input. wish i would have thought of that before if had the tv hung on the wall and all the components would show unless i drill a hole in the back which is finished not just backing. also, the tv is too low for the piece to be under it. i will try moving the chair but that is hubby's chair where he sits and watches tv so it may cause a divorce if i moved the other one which is not as comfortable.
  • 12 years ago
    No divorce over moving furniture especially if your husband likes it. and it faces the TV. Keep it the way it is.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    tennisanyone - he could sit on the couch that faces the tv but he won't! will switch anyway and take a pix so you can see what it looks like. if it looks good maybe he will have a change of heart. lol.
  • 12 years ago
    Men are all about comfort, and does it function. Women go for style. Since it's a TV room. And he has a chair he loves. Don't change it, just so you can make a room look more stylish. Let him have his chair. The whole idea of a home is to be comfortable, not a show case for a model home. It's all good.
    konthip loatman thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 12 years ago
    Too much orange in the room. I like the ones that Angelina posted--Denver Park canvases--that have some blue.
    konthip loatman thanked groveraxle
  • 12 years ago
    This wall needs a longer console to be balanced.
    konthip loatman thanked groveraxle
  • 12 years ago
    A little blue for balance:
    konthip loatman thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I really believe you need to go with the piece you love.

    I might be biased, but I think my pieces suggested offer more balance to your room than the other ones you have shown.

    What really matters is what YOU think about it. =)
    konthip loatman thanked Angelina Vick
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    angelina you are probably right as far as the color and balance. my problem is that i am more of an abstract/impressionistic art person and somehow even though the the pieces you suggested are beautiful i lean towards the abstract and impressionistic sorts of art. just a preference. dthe piece you suggested seemed too real for me even though they are beautiful.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I understand exactly what you mean. =)

    The style of that work I showed from Denver Park is more impressionistic than realistic, but there are still identifiable shapes.

    Do you like art where there are not really objects? More like...loose shapes?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    tennisanyone - i switched the chairs as you suggested and love it! who knew just a switch could make such a difference! the remarkable thing is he likes sitting in it to watch tv as he did with the other chair! go figure. here's a picture. now if have to find the strength to move the secretary in an angle as someone else suggested. it's very heavy!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    sorry i don't know ho i have duplicate pix. maybe too much wine and seeing double???
  • 12 years ago
    Blue.
    konthip loatman thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The chair swap works.

    Blue does look good.

    LOL, don't move it if you are drinking wine.

    Working on something for you restonite.
    konthip loatman thanked Angelina Vick
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    A looser rendition of the trees.
    konthip loatman thanked Angelina Vick
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I'm making one even more abstract.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    This has more of a surreal abstraction.
  • 12 years ago
    I think this room needs to pair down on all the chairs. I like the flip of the chairs but I would remove the brown chair. I count 7 chairs plus seating with the couch. I would also remove the two black lamps and the table in between so you can see the lovely fire. I am a collector of a particular artist and no matter what I buy, I love it so I know that you will find something that you love. It is hard to pick art for someone as only your eye will tell you what you like.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Looking through my work...a few more ideas.
    konthip loatman thanked Angelina Vick
  • 12 years ago
    I'm glad he likes sitting in the new position. WHEW!!! No divorce over this. I love your room and sometimes I can't help myself but I would like to see some more changes made with everything you have just in a better position. When you move the secretary, take down the prints and open the secretary up and display some of the accessories you have in orange, like the two picture frames. The color needs to be spread around the room. I would also take the two black lamps and put them on the brown chest and move the standing lamp next to your husbands new chair. I think the lamp has a table attached but not sure from the picture. It doesn't cost a thing to move some stuff around and if you don't like it, you can always move it back.
    konthip loatman thanked tennisanyone
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    tennisanyone - i am just like you and love to move things around constantly. it drives him crazy but seems to have adjusted. will try all suggestions. this is my third hubby and they say the 3rd one is charm???
  • 12 years ago
    OK restonite, post again with the changes. We can always move things back. Glad your husband doesn't mind, keeps us happy when they play along.
  • 12 years ago
    I think you need to pare down the orange accents. Less is more... I like the Eiffel Tower print--it tones down all the bright.
    konthip loatman thanked Nancy Walton
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You have made great choices so far, I'm sure you will find the right final details and it will all come together. =)
    konthip loatman thanked Angelina Vick
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    i really appreciate each and everyone's comments. will be thinking about how and where to incorporate some blue. i totally agree that it needs another color like blue. what do they say about color schemes -- 60/30/10 ???
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I don't think there are hard and fast rules, it depends on the look you want.
    I have seen absolutely gorgeous rooms...black and white. Or black and white with just one color added to it.

    Balance...is the trick.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    So...what are you thinking resonite?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    was going to purchase either one of the first two you liked but missed the sale so thinking of repurposing two i already have in another room. which one do you like best. please ignore the accessorizing. the one on the mantle i can lop up the top a bit so it is not quite so tall. the second one taking one suggestion i could create a collage by adding two smaller pictures and lean them against the larger one.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    btw if i decide on the larger one i think i would frame it after i lopped off some of the top.
  • 12 years ago
    The one on the mantel is blah. Can the one on the floor be turned sideways?

    BTW, lopping off the top of a canvas completely changes the art. It was painted that size with certain proportions in mind, was made to balance at that aspect ratio. That's not to say that lopping it off wouldn't be an improvement (though in this case, I don't think it would), just that it's a bit like a skirt hem or cut flowers: there is an optimum length.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    It doesn't have enough color in it. Try the one leaning on the screen again with just two accessorizes.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I agree...it's too muted, it does nothing for the room.

    Restonite, if you love any of the pieces I showed you...I could work with you on price.
    No pressure, I just wanted to mention it.

    The site I have is not my only source for printing, and I have some flexibility in prices with other companies.

    I would hate price to be the reason you choose art. I know it's a factor, and budget is important, but if you don't love the art...I wonder if you will happy with it on your mantel?

    The right piece will have the chance of helping you love this room.