Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

Show us your favorite Christmas decor piece!

Jeannie Nguyen
10 years ago
Do you have a favorite ornament that's been in your family for years?

Post photos of your favorite Christmas decoration that you must have every year!

https://www.houzz.com/photos/2010-christmas-decor-rustic-family-room-philadelphia-phvw-vp~90019

Comments (24)

• User
    10 years ago
    My husband made a Santa Claus ornament out of felt when he was in kindergarten (about 50 years ago. lol). It has a rectangular hole in his tummy that is made to fit over a light switch. Santa had a poem glued to his back, but the printing was rubbed off years and years ago. He is so cute! I wrap him up carefully in tissue paper and make sure he is in a safe spot in the storage box for the next Christmas.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I gave my boyfriend ( now husband) a silver colored, glass, pine cone shaped ornament from my parent's tree when we were both very young. He has treasured that gift for many years and each Christmas we carefully unwrap it and together we hang it on the tree, but not until he thanks me with a little kiss. This special ornament has inspired our married children to follow suite.
  • armipeg
    10 years ago
    My favorite pieces are the stars that my sons carved out of wood, when they were very young.
  • joannpb
    10 years ago
    Years ago I had a room-mate with a somewhat twisted sense of humor - I also had a cat! Roomie was fond of threatening to hang Kittie, whenever K committed some characteristic cat atrocity (She would NEVER have actually harmed a hair on the beast.)

The evening we put up and decorated our Christmas tree, I noticed a small ball of black fur hanging prominently front and center. On closer inspection, it was found to have two bright yellow bead eyes embedded in the fur. "I told you I'd hang that cat," she chortled. I still give that "cat" a place of honor every year, more than 40 years later.
  • Patricia Kent
    10 years ago
    A favorite ornament of mine is a silver filigree cylinder. Inside is a green scroll upon which are the details of our daughter's first Christmas......who was there, what we ate, presents she got, the weather, etc. We reread it every year, she is now 31! Wish I could find one for her son who is not yet 1.
  • touchadream
    10 years ago
    I hang my kids first baby shoes, little pink nikes, and little bit bigger white ones, so I am sure to see them every year.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Ok, my tree is up, so I have some photos. Hands down, my all time favorites are all of the ones my son made in preschool/kindergarten. Credit goes to his amazing teachers back then. Also a favorite are our Santa ornaments: playing baseball, in the pool with a tire tube floater, and the irish santa.
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked User
  • PRO
    All 4 Show, LLC
    10 years ago
    These two little porcelain angels are my favorite! They originally belonged to my grandmother then my mother...with both of them being gone every time I see them I am reminded of their presence during the Christmas season! I have two angels in my living room just like I have two angels in the heavens.... :) They are quite old and a bit battered but I do cherish them the most!
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked All 4 Show, LLC
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    @All 4 Show, a childhood friend has one of those... brings back memories! They are sweet!
  • eightpondfarm
    10 years ago
    the swan with scrunchy tinsel is an old favorite of ours
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked eightpondfarm
  • User
    10 years ago
    I love a tree filled with collected and sentimental ornaments. My mother started giving my husband and me a dated ornament every Thanksgiving starting in 1976 when we got married. I have now started the tradition with my daughters. I have a set of authentic sleigh bells that I hang on my back door each year, I love the jingle every time the door is opened and closed. I gave each daughter a set of sleigh bells last year....jingle all the way!
  • joannpb
    10 years ago
    @Patricia Kent, This may sound a little creepy, but search memorial pendants, on line. You may find something you can use. Or perfume pendants - here's one - http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4833372746155812&pid=15.1
  • sharon1ha
    10 years ago
    Since we were married, for 36 years, my husband and I go out each year and buy an ornament together, we then have lunch, just the two of us. With all the hustle and bustle going on, this gives us a few minuets of alone time and time to remember what the holiday is really all about. So each of these ornaments are very special. I also cherish the ones our son made in kindergarten, he is now 42, a paper chain, something made from an egg carton, a star and a Christmas tree ( starting to crumble a little), these are especially loved. So to say I have one special ornament would be hard, I like to say our tree is full of many, many special and loved decorations. Happy holidays to everyone.
  • PRO
    Succulently Urban
    10 years ago
    Succulents and cactus planted in a white vessel dressed with white gravel make a winter desert scene- creation by SucculentlyUrban
  • edithsmom
    10 years ago
    Brenda: wow!
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    I'm almost finished decorating the tree I still need to add the topper ,either the Angel or the star I haven't decided yet , this year I used most of my oldest decorations ,the apples and poinsettias are just a couple years old ,the others go as far back as the 70s , here is one of them
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    9 years ago
    I love christmas and I love using unexpected colours for christmas - enjoy!
  • mukaddas
    9 years ago
    Winter always reminds me of magically snowcapped mountains of the Pamirs. And I love to light up the yurt of Murghob somewhere at home to remember the real and magical winters of that rarely visited place of the world. There are fur trees, snow, starry sky, biggest moon and even a Snowman-yeti they say around. Everything is in place by mother nature.
  • laskees
    9 years ago
    The celluloid Santa and the Santa candles were my Grandma's. I have collected the skinny Santas and the Nativity sets over the years. I love vintage and vintage looking Christmas decor!
  • nhbaskets
    9 years ago
    Mine is the popcorn I strung for our tree the first Christmas we were married. It's celebrating it's 32nd anniversary this year.
  • juudean
    9 years ago
    My favorite is Rudolph...each of my kids made one in elementary school...
  • Faye Dawkins
    8 years ago

• Beth Ann Wilson
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!