Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taraanne203

8' or 9' foot ceilings in new house?

taraanne203
10 years ago
My husband and I are building a new house, should be complete in about 5 months. We were all set to take the standard 8' since other options weren't really discussed and that is what we have in our current smaller house and we're used to it.

Then last week our family room ceiling collapsed (always fun when your house is on the market!) and after the repair I got the tape measure out and realized our ceilings are actually 8'5".

Now I'm thinking 8' will feel so much smaller and we should pay the extra $3500 for 9' on the first floor. I'm trying to keep our upgrades under control however. Our builder thinks we done need it since or family room is 16' that it will really "open up" the rest of the first floor anyway.

I don't ever want to move again, we're really trying to build a forever house, so resale isn't an issue, I just don't want to regret it later if it would have felt much better in the long run.

I appreciate any advice! I've attached the layout of our first floor for reference.

Comments (31)

• Sigrid
    10 years ago
    I have high ceilings, I don't know how high, probably 10 feet. I can't wash windows, fix curtains or change light bulbs without getting a big, bulky, heavy 6 foot ladder out. Its a huge pain getting it up the stairs without hitting something.

I'm not a fan of high ceilings.
  • PRO
    Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Go with 9' ceilings!
  • PRO
    Hart STUDIO LLC
    10 years ago
    I don't think there are any hard and fast rules for this. Make sure you keep proportion in mind; larger rooms want higher ceilings and smaller rooms want lower ceilings. Think about the feeling you want for the room, some rooms you want more intimate, some you want more grand. Higher ceilings might also require higher window and door heads as well as larger scaled trim. Higher ceilings will also require additional steps to get to the second floor, (it looks like you have room for this, check furniture arrangement in your family room). I love high ceilings, but high ceilings for the sake of it can feel uncomfortable.
  • housewife1950s
    10 years ago
    We built recently and are so so so soooooo happy we chose 9' ceilings. We spent quite a while humming and hawing. It just makes the place look fantastic and almost...more expensive (if that makes sense) If you can afford it, I'd go for it.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Since this is your forever house go with 10 foot ceilings. The difference will amaze you. Get kitchen cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling. If you can afford another option it would be doors that are taller than standard 6'8". Go for 8' doors.
  • PRO
    Ruebl Builders LLC
    10 years ago
    Go with the 9' the cost difference in studs, labor, insulation and drywall is minimal from 8' also energy calcs will be very similar
  • PRO
    Ruebl Builders LLC
    10 years ago
    Also if you go to 10' cost will increase alot each stud has to be cut on site!!!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    When we built we went with 9' ceilings and 6'-8" doors on the first floor, worked great. Also in the Kitchen we ran the upper cabinets up to the 9' clg. Cool! No drop soffit and no dust shelf on top of the uppers!! I agree with the post above, comes down to proportion, door/window height etc. We like to go with 8' doors when we have 10' or higher ceilings. It's all good! Enjoy...
  • User
    10 years ago
    I agree with 9', you'll love them coming from lower ceilings and that's one thing you can't go back and change.
  • PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    10 years ago
    It's worth the extra cost now for the 9' ceilings forever..........You might consider 8' doors on the first floor too. We do whatever we can, even on remodels to get ceilings higher then 8'.

Another interesting fact is that people really are getting taller and a 6'-8" door or an 8 ceiling is uncomfortable for the young people who are now 6-8" tall, and there are a lot of them around these days.
  • PRO
    Hayes Cabinets Inc
    10 years ago
    9 foot ceilings definitely but don't feel obligated to run the cabinets all the way up. you get a very nice look with 2 cabinet heights neither of which is to the ceiling. I suggest all the 12" deep uppers go to 7'6", all the deeper cabs go to 8'. Tell your builder that 9' ceilings should have been automatic!
  • Starbella
    10 years ago
    I had 9 foot ceilings in my condo and now have 8 in my new "old house". I prefer the look and feel of the 9. If I could have the 9 in this house I would! Go for it
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    As most have mentioned, you won't regret having a 9 foot ceiling.
  • PRO
    Design Details
    10 years ago
    8' ceilings will turn any layout into a cookie cutter house and will limit the scale of your decorating choices. If you have 8'-5" now you will hate 96" unless you are a Hobbit. It's very difficult to go back to low ceilings.
  • Tara Abatemarco Piotrowski
    10 years ago
    Wow so it looks like there really is a consensus here! Thank you all for your opinions. Very persuasive, I think I'll go with the 9'. Like it was mentioned I can't go back and upgrade that later.
  • mfwolfe
    10 years ago
    My husband and I are of an average height and when we found we had 9 foot ceilings in most of the new house we were a little shocked because we were expecting 8 ft. Then a friend who is 6ft 3 or 4 came to visit. He said he never realized how wonderful tall ceilings were. He said he felt so much more comfortable. How tall are the people in your family? That said, after a year we love the higher ceilings and do feel a little cramped when we are in houses with 8 ft ceilings.
  • elhagew
    10 years ago
    9 or 10 all the way. If this will be your home for a long time, a high ceiling is definitely worth every dollar you put in it.
  • PRO
    Terhaar Builders LLC
    10 years ago
    Definately go for the nine. When you sell your house you will get at least triple back. It is just the way new homes are done.
  • Gina
    10 years ago
    I'd go 9'. it makes a big difference when picking lighing/pendents, chandeliers and openness. We had wanted 9' but it brought the ridge line up so we had to reduce, now I'm struggling with chandeliers in bedrooms!
  • PRO
    Custom Home Planning Center
    10 years ago
    9' is a min. - so what did you do?
  • taraanne203
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I went with 9 and it looks great :)
  • larkspurproject
    10 years ago
    Spend the money on the 9' ceiling! You can't change your mind down the road and the added height will be appreciated. 8' ceilings limit ceiling fans and light fixtures should anyone in your family be taller than 5'4"....just a thought. The process can be stressful but I genuinely hope you have fun! Good luck!
  • Jolene
    10 years ago
    Without a doubt 9!
  • pegjustpeg
    10 years ago
    Too late! House is built!
  • seadays
    8 years ago

How many square feet is the home,and did you change the window height ,did you end up paying the extra to do it,or is the comment saying too late refer to you going with 8 feet

• PRO
    NO
    7 years ago

Anyone have an open concept that they can show me 9' ceilings. It's hard to find things on houzz. Thx

• PRO
    6 years ago
    Yes, I agree with your Builder. 9' ceilings are nice and still work with 6'-8" standard door & window heights. You might add a 8' drop soffit around the Kitchen if your upper cabinets are standard to 8' heights. Looks better than having a shelf above the uppers! Of course, taking the upper cabinets to 9' is worth it too! That's what I did in my Kitchen and Laundry Rooms gives additional storage using a step ladder to access!
  • PRO
    Belinda Kelly Interior Design
    6 years ago

9' tall ceiling no question. It will add value and you will have a great deal more volume in your home.

• sunshine home
    6 years ago

I would not go less then 9 ft. New developments here are actually doing 10 ft now

• PRO
    MacKinnon Design
    5 years ago

8ft is totally fine if you get the design right. It's all in the detail.