Software
Houzz Logo Print
trishdalish

Need to find a chandelier that ties traditional & modern

12 years ago
I need to find a chandelier to tie in these canvases of chandeliers with an actual chandelier that goes with the modern decor. What style should I go with? Would love a recommendation for a reasonably priced chandelier. Thanks so much! :)

Comments (81)

  • 12 years ago
    I think you are right about the rug, travisinteriors. Was on the fence with the size of it. Thanks because I still have time to return it!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Rule of thumb on a rug is that rug should extend about 36" beyond the table……or, that when you pull the chair out to sit in it, the chair remains on the rug.

    The problem is that if you achieve this, it looks like the rug will extend all the way to the wall on the window side? Which will look awkward. But, then you have to center the table under the chandelier. Challenging. Need more photos or measurement.

    Maybe a square rug would work better. Is that the West Elm rug? Chevron rugs are trending out of style. Not that you should be dictated by that. If you love the style, keep the style. Just letting you know.
    trishdalish thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    What about doing curtain panels with a pattern instead of a rug for this space?
    trishdalish thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    The design works. I love how you have combined modern with more formal art. Very nice. How big is rug? One size up should do it. Yes I would put panels on end of windows. A black satin will be interesting.
    trishdalish thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree with hstocke that no rug at all might be the best choice.
  • 12 years ago
    This chandelier from Pottery Barn has had my eye for a while now. Although, I really like Darzy's first example with the all-black-e'rything chandelier. It's the inverse of your paintings and similarly stylized. Very cool.

    Clarissa Glass Drop Rectangular Chandelier by Pottery Barn · More Info
    trishdalish thanked zemptron
  • 12 years ago
    Ikea has a perfect one that will go well with these but can't find the specific one. Here are some other nice ones from Houzz pages:

    Living room · More Info


    Bestumveien · More Info


    Jefferson 9 Light Chandelier · More Info


    St.Laurence 20-Light Chandelier · More Info
    trishdalish thanked Momof5x
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think Momof5x nailed your style with that first link.
  • 12 years ago
    I just both the ones above from Pottery Barn and I love them! They would looke good in your room also; modern with a twist of classic!
  • 12 years ago
    OK so I just have to say it, and I know you all will diagree, but I just don't like that first chandelier (don't hate me!). I don't know why, it's just not me. I'm loving all of the honest feedback and am SO appreciative of all of you helping me because there is so much to decorating that I need to learn!! OK, so I think I am narrowing this down to really liking a drum chandelier with crystals hanging or perhaps a rectangular one. I like your pics Momof5x, but I think I want the chandelier to look more modern than traditional. Just a touch of traditional. I also like zemprons light a lot too. I saw this chandelier at my hair salon today and would love to know what you all think (click to the next pic as well for another view), although I don't know what the cost would be. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=568182123258073&set=a.567808983295387.1073741827.567783836631235&type=1&theater There are crystals on the bottom that may tie in.
    I got the rug from West Elm, http://www.westelm.com/products/key-wool-dhurrie-horseradish-t580/?pkey=crugs-flooring&cm_src=rugs-flooring||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_- and from the angle I took the photo it does look like chevron, but it's actually not. It is 5 x 8 and the problem is that they don't make 6 x 8. I'm not sure that 6 x 8 would even be enough with pulling out the chairs. Great ideas on taking away the rug & adding panels with a pattern!
  • 12 years ago
    OK, my husband just nixed that chandelier from the FB page, so scratch that!
  • 12 years ago
    Mediterranean Dining Room · More Info
    trishdalish thanked inkwitch
  • 12 years ago
    Love that!
  • 12 years ago
    lol. You have to love it too! How about this one? Only $155
    Indoor 4-Light Chrome/Crystal/Metal Bubble Shade Chandelier · More Info
    trishdalish thanked Darzy
  • 12 years ago
    There are chandeliers that are easier to photoshop than others. I did some. I admit some are poorly done but you will get an idea. I am not liking all the ones I photoshop but since it is not about me but you, I thought I will photshop them so you can see. BTW, if you post another picture of your dining room without the table center and seeing some part of the ceiling, I could do a better job at photoshop.
    trishdalish thanked suzanne_m
  • 12 years ago
    Chandeliers 5 to 8:
    trishdalish thanked suzanne_m
  • 12 years ago
    Chandeliers 9 to 12:
    trishdalish thanked suzanne_m
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Suzanne! I'm loving the Holm Chandelier best now.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, it has a very different feel than what I thought it would. If find the table center has an influence on the style of the chandelier that works in the space.

    I can't rotate the chandelier 14 without changing its shape so I left it the same way has it was posted even though it looks like it is in the wrong direction.

    Chandeliers 13 and 14:
    trishdalish thanked suzanne_m
  • 12 years ago
    the Holm Chandelier works really nice with the room, I must say. A table runner or candle holders that have a touch of crystal might be a nice way to nod to the black and white chandelier pictures, without over doing the concept or distracting from your table settings.
    trishdalish thanked K Carlstrom
  • 12 years ago
    I like chandelier 16 ... not sure I like the price :(
    Dorton Chandelier · More Info


    Chandeliers 15 and 16:
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Thank you SO SO much Suzanne, this adds a whole new perspective and makes me want to rethink things!! And Darzy, I really love that last chandelier!! I will get some new pics up tomorrow of the room. I chopped off the ceiling in the pic because I really don't like our current chandelier, so just keep that in mind when you see it. Also, our ceiling is 8 feet & the table is 60". kcarlstrom- love that idea! I will show these pics to my husband & hopefully we can make a decision soon!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You asked what style you should choose.

    The art is very different and very dominant. To me, there is an expectation, when one views it, to see the art repeated in the chandelier. When it is not repeated, there is an awkward disconnect. That is how I see it.

    With the exception of the first 2 chandeliers that Darzy posted, I do not see any of the chandeliers making that connection. I do not see the ones that have some crystal in them, but are a different shape as making that connection.

    Thrishdalash, you do no like the black chandeliers, and that is, of course, of utmost importance.

    I am not trying to throw a monkey wrench in, but you may want to reconsider the art or place the art in another room? Just a thought….or maybe you will find that perfect chandelier the works for you.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    cdrdesign makes a good point about the relationship with the chandelier and art. The reason I like the Holm Pendant as my second choice is the "relationship" between the art and chandelier is the TOTAL opposite. Ying/Yang or juxtaposition aspect. The Holm pendant has the straight lines like the table, but the center is a round cylinder/curve which relates to the curve of the backs of the chairs. But the last one you like relates to both as well with black/crystals and curves.
    trishdalish thanked Darzy
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think the Dorton could work.
    trishdalish thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • 12 years ago
    How wide is your table?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Driftwood ball, a juxtaposition
    trishdalish thanked Marino Homebuilders
  • 12 years ago
    This is one example why I say that your current table center has an influence on the choice of chandelier. Like I would not recommend the one below if you were to keep the round shape ball you have on your table right now but I find this chandelier could work if you have something else.

    Chandelier 17:
  • 12 years ago
    What I like best about your pictures is that you will not have to clean the crystal chandeliers. Sincerely, your pictures add a quiet charm to the room. They are pretty while creating a nice focal point. The Holm Pendant is handsome and provides that certain je ne se qua. I think Darzy's comments are right on. If you don't already have a dimmer, you may want to think about installing one regardless of which fixture you choose.
    trishdalish thanked K Carlstrom
  • 12 years ago
    Chandelier 18:
    Currey & Company Fitzjames Lantern · More Info


    This is the link of chandelier 17 if you want to see it closer:
    Diamond Ceiling Lamp · More Info

    It is pricey but it gives you an idea in case you find something similar
    trishdalish thanked suzanne_m
  • 12 years ago
    I like this one but pricey for its simplicity. I like kcarlstrom's comment about not having to clean crystal chandeliers :)

    Chandelier 19:
    Currey & Company Saxon Chandelier · More Info
    trishdalish thanked suzanne_m
  • 12 years ago
    Here are some more pics of the room. The last pic is of the room that directly faces the dining room. All of this furniture will eventually go (especially the console table that is so out of place), & I haven't figure out what to put on the walls yet.
  • 12 years ago
    This was where I originally saw the canvases (at a model home) and I would eventually love to add the stacked stone (or perhaps a beautiful tile) behind the paintings and on the opposing wall as was done in this home. Hopefully that isn't violating any rules posting pics from a model home?
  • 12 years ago
    Suzanne, I really love the chandeliers you posted. I love that the are so dainty and delicate looking, just beautiful. The diamond ceiling light is AMAZING! Here is a link to the table http://www.westelm.com/products/parsons-dining-table-rectangle-white-h144/?pkey=e%7Cparsons%2Btable%7C16%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C5&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Featured%20Parsons-_- and the dimensions are 60"w x 36"d x 30"h.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks trishdalish. Can you take another picture of your dining room at about the same distance of the bottom left picture you just took but that we can see your arts at the same time?
  • 12 years ago
    Here is the angle.
  • 12 years ago
  • 12 years ago
    It is cute!

    Chandelier 20:
    trishdalish thanked suzanne_m
  • 12 years ago
    I read that a rule of thumb to determine the size of a chandelier is 1/2 the width of the table. But I also read that you can go up to 3/4. So I guess, you should be looking for a chandelier that is between 15 to 23 in. wide.

    I am glad you gave us the link of your table. With the lighting you had in your first picture, I thought it was made of birch. Now I see it is lacquer.
    trishdalish thanked suzanne_m
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I love #20!!!!!!

    It might be a little large, but I think it will work. It evokes the art, yet is simple. Suzanne, thanks for keeping count for us!
  • 12 years ago
    I like it very much too. I think because the chandelier is airy therefore not too imposing, trashdalish can bend the rule a little bit. It is certainly worth to try it in real.
  • 12 years ago
    Actually, I made a mistake in my maths! I calculated with the 30 in. measurement instead of 36 in. It means that the chandelier can be between 18 in. and 27 in.
    trishdalish thanked suzanne_m
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    What a great idea to photoshop! My fav is #20.
  • 12 years ago
    Woo hoo!! It's settled then, this will be the chandelier!!! Thank you so much everyone for putting up with my indecisiveness & holding my hand through this process! So glad about the advice to get rid of the rug, too! I'm going to wait for the chandelier to go on sale, and then I'll post pics when it's up!! :) You all are the best!!! :)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I love the 9-12 one especially #10
  • 12 years ago
    Have you found the chandelier #20 on sale? I hope you did. It would be perfect. If you did, please show us some pictures :)
  • 12 years ago
    I haven't! And thank you for asking! :) And since then, I've changed my mind! I'm leaning more towards #17 at this point. I got side tracked and started decorating my family room (image attached & disclaimer! there are stains on the tables which we are working to remove, don't have the right throw pillows and the list goes on). But because of the choices I made in this room, #17 is feeling like it might be the better fit. Once I have my mind made up for quite a while, I'll take the plunge! So glad I have all of your advice and I often come to this thread to help me figure it out! :)
  • 11 years ago

    I finally picked one out! :)

  • 11 years ago

    I love it! Did you change the table and chairs too?

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks! Yes, I switched the kitchen table with the white one.

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio