Software
Houzz Logo Print
shakersables

Style my new kitchen

12 years ago
We did a kitchen renovation last spring and I still haven't hung window treatments or bought a rug. I haven't gotten any new accents for the kitchen. Only put the old stuff that we use regularly back in. I really need help styling my new kitchen! We have a 1927 colonial. Our taste is pretty casual. I like to stay true to the house though. Thank you for your help!

Comments (25)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Agreed with adding some colors with fabrics for the windows and perhaps an area rug.
  • 12 years ago
    Here are photos from the rest of my house so you can see our style.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Until I saw the photos of the rest of the house I was also thinking a teal or blue accent color - but with what you already have why not continue the red/green color scheme in the kitchen? In shades that work with the countertops - very pretty kitchen! Post what you decide on!
  • 12 years ago
    I like the pattern that indianpatti chose for the fabric because it echos the wine rack above the fridge, would recover the counter stools in a fabric that compliments the window treatment. Seems like a soft red would echo what you are doing in other rooms, especially looking into kitchen from dining room to window by microwave (do the laundry room door as well). Maybe a rustic red plank above the tv w/ your family name or a favorite phrase. Pull any red plates, pie dishes, crockery for shelves to ground the reds, possibly a large red basket/platter/bowl for beneath the tv. (Or paint that wall red, and accessorize it and counter with black?) Consider a red/gold/black piece of art for the wall to the right of the counter. The floors are gorgeous. If you feel a rug is necessary, consider a remnant wholesaler who will custom cut and finish the size in a high traffic fiber, the rug will probably have to be maintained often and maybe switched out over time, would not spend a lot of money on the rug. Pretty room, will be fun to cook in it!
  • 12 years ago
    Love your Labby btw :)
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you Maria! I'm feeling inspired now. The juices are flowing. I was just on Etsy and saw all kinds of wonderful red kitchen decor; linen tea towels, enamelware, distressed painted wood letters... I'm still not sure about the windows though. And should I replace the fruit bowl and canisters since they are blue?
  • 12 years ago
    Now that I see the red/orange/green ... how about something very colorful that includes all the colors. Once you find your shade, then you can decide if you canisters, etc. can stay.

    Would definitely get stools in a coordinating color.
  • 12 years ago
    See the reference pic for inspiration
    the colour on the walls in the inspiration is the same colour tone as the red in the adjoining room and would complement it quite well
    Roman shades at the window to pick up the colour from the wall/s would also look very nice
    and bring cohesion of colour to yr kitchen
    Bellevue House · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    The walls were professionally painted when we did the renovation so I think they will stay. The color is BM Revere Pewter. The bar stools are also new...black Cadence barstool from Arhaus. So those are staying too but I could add a cushion I think. The seats are woven sea grass.
  • 12 years ago
    What do you think of this fabric for the windows? It's Annie Sloan.
  • 12 years ago
    Your home is so gorgeous. Especially your kitchen. ESPECIALLY your dog. (I agree with others - keep the warm reds etc going).
  • 12 years ago
    match stick bamboo shades would look nice with your woven seagrass chairs and the natural colour in the granite top.
    You have a very nice kitchen you don't need to add much.
    Kitchen · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Flat Roman Shades in a semi large pattern print fabric.
  • 12 years ago
    Or the toile?
  • 12 years ago
    the cannisters can stay, easily, if you use a fabric like the floral pattern that's been posted.
    it'll have reds and blue/greens in it.
  • 12 years ago
    Love the plants in the example photographs too, brings an organic feel to the space....def hold off on buying accessories until you choose your fabric...look at what you have around the house too. Please do post more pics as you go!
  • 12 years ago
    I like your photo Ann Dee. I was thinking red accents with red fabric might be overkill. I also like the idea of bringing in warmth with the natural fibers. Maybe I could use one of the Annie Sloan fabrics for stool cushions?
  • 12 years ago
    simplicity is beautiful.
    You don't need a lot of stuff on the counter.
    It would be a distraction.
  • 12 years ago
    Ann Dee, do you have any recommendations for the floor? I agree about not cluttering up the countertops.
  • 12 years ago
    Add some fun curtains to the windows! Maybe even patterned ones like chevron or stripes. If not big into patterns, I would choose soft pale colors. Enjoy!
  • 12 years ago
    You have beautiful floors.
    Are you suggesting a scatter rug at the sink ?
  • 12 years ago
    Anne (sorry I've been spelling it Ann!) my husband feels we need something bigger because the dog is scratching up the floor. I was thinking of a flat weave or natural fiber like jute or sisal.
  • 12 years ago
    excellent idea.
    Also a flat weave rug would work with yr kitchen