Software
Houzz Logo Print
la13elle

can't stop our choice on wallpaper

12 years ago
Hi,

We want to decorate our dining room. We were planning to wallpaper one wall (the empty one the picture). There's a lot of light in the dining room.

I like a chic and contemporary style.

We are hesitating between two different wallpapers. Do you think it would fit? Are they too dark?

I join the picture of the adjacent room, the kitchen. The two other walls of the dining room will stay the color you see.

Thank you so much!

Comments (40)

  • 12 years ago
    The one on the right is nice
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The one on the left does not compete with the pattern in the window treatments.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I agree with Kass & my1gmail
  • 12 years ago
    Both elegant on their own but I agree with Karen, the second one is too similar to the drapes. Room already looks nice, hope you post more pictures with wallcovering installed!
  • 12 years ago
    Kass not Karen. Autocorrect...
  • 12 years ago
    I like the boldness of the stylized flower and the fact that it doesn't compete with the curtains
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I am afraid that first patern is very large ,mu vote goes for second one
    I have similar large one in one of the rooms in basement and we don't like it,i will post a picture soon
  • 12 years ago
    I like the one on the right much better than the floral ..
  • 12 years ago
    Left
  • 12 years ago
    The left one is my vote (the floral).
  • 12 years ago
    I vote for the one on the right. It's subtle and will only accent an already lovely room.
  • 12 years ago
    The one on the right. I like it for a couple of reasons. First, it is a classic pattern or design and will not become dated. Second, it echoes the pattern of your drapes, but in a reverse color pattern, if you will. I think it will be subtly stunning in your beautiful dining room.
  • 12 years ago
    The one on the right is safe...the one on the left has some style and design sense.
  • 12 years ago
    I think an area rug and pictures/mirror may work better than wallpaper. Styles change and wallpaper is difficult to remove. Add candles, flowers, and plates to the table.
  • 12 years ago
    You can play it safe with more gray (boring) wall paper or you can be daring with a fabulous color or two. If you don't want to do the whole wall try a large graphic print, wall art decals or just paint it an exciting color such as yellow, bright red, deep blue..... have some fun with it. And you won't be out that much money should you tire of it. Almost any strong color looks great with your gray.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    A sparkling Venetian glass mirror from Restoration Hardware would add pizzazz to that wall. Replace the other mirror with colorful art.


    http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/category/products.jsp?categoryId=cat2390400
  • 12 years ago
    They are both too similar. Go with a stripe or herringbone or this tree wallpaper.
  • 12 years ago
    Wallpaper is a pain. I like to see a plum color as an accent wall with some accessories and a nice rug.
  • 12 years ago
    I LOVE your dining room, but are you sure you want to use wallpaper? Have you ever had to remove the stuff when you grow tired of it? Ughhhhh. Have you thought of using a very LARGE piece of artwork? Okay, I have given my two cents worth (can you tell I have removed more wallpaper than a person should have to in one life time? HA) I am sure whichever one you choose will be gorgeous. But......if I have convinced you,,,,,,,how about a pic like below? :)

    Eclectic Dining Room · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    HI -- The left one for sure ! If you can afford it and you are brave -- do the whole dining room if the room is on it's own -- it would look wonderful ! OK - Chris Price and janeinfo -- sorry but you are behind the times about wallpaper -- the new papers today are not a pain and not hard to remove .
  • 12 years ago
    I really hope you are right. It's been five years since I've had to remove any and I am on a lifelong crusade to ban wallpaper! HA HA HA
  • 12 years ago
    Neither of these look as well w the wall colour as they might. I think you can get a more chic look by concentrating on a textured paper, which will reflect light without relying on shine, and on contrasting with the medium paint tone rather than blending into it.
    One example:
  • 12 years ago
    Prefer the one on the right.
  • 12 years ago
    Right. It's subtle and classic and nicely repeats (not competes IMO) the pattern on the drapes.
  • 12 years ago
    I think purchasing a large stencil would be just as effective, less expensive and easier to http://houzz.com/photos/2985223

    barnandbungalow.com
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I have been gazing at your lovely dining room and kitchen and I feel that wallpaper on this "feature" wall will not do it justice. You have some lovely curtains which are a feature. As others have suggested some paintings or one large painting could be more effective and add visual value to your room. Happy new year.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Thank you for all of your advices! I must admit that I really like the effect of wallpaper. And a rug is so beautiful, but I'm afraid it shows easily the dirt, especially in a dining room in which we eat every night.

    I thought about something else. Do you think that if we install a cyma at the half of the 3 walls (and we paint the lower part the same color than the ceiling), wallpaper would be easier to choose? Here's an example.
    (
    Ledbury Park Residence · More Info
    )


    We do not avec cyma anywhere in the house, but the dining room is mostly closed.

    Thank's again!
  • 12 years ago
    * I'm open to other patterns of wallpaper ;)
  • 12 years ago
    Here is the one we don't like in our spare room in the basement.
  • 12 years ago
    When everything is the same, everything blends together and nothing is special. Just add great art!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    How about covering that back wall in one of the 3D wall panel styles? Something like this or another syle like below
    3d wall panels FLOWS design · More Info


    2013 3D wall decor art panels and wall paper · More Info
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think wallpaper is a great idea here. However I feel both options you show compete with the scale and contrast of your draperies. How about a white-on-white, shiny on matte, paper? Let the bold and crisp pattern on the drapes take center stage and the wallpaper be more background, Also some bold artwork would look nice on the wallpapered wall and bring some color into the room.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The one on the right looks like you are trying, unsuccessfully, to match it to the drapes - just too close in design. Love the 3D shown above on that wall. Very chic.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Beautiful two rooms by the way
  • 12 years ago
    I love the idea of the wood detailing below! Instead of a patterned wallpaper on one wall I would do a textured solid wallpaper on all walls in the dining room and add the detailing below like you pictured in your last comment. However, I do like the pattern on the left. :) I plan to do something very similar in our dining room but have solid panels in ivory and will use a patterned wallpaper with the wood details below!
  • 12 years ago
    We finally found and love the result!
  • 12 years ago
    Sharon, when you are looking through dilemmas, you will note both a posting date and the # or responses given thus far. By #30, first impulse suggestions have generally all been made several times over by non-readers such as yourself, and by the 1 year mark, the dilemmas are rarely pertinent. This perusal will spare us all. Thanks.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    So sorry my comment may have been an inconvenience, it has been deleted. Do you think perhaps there may be others who may wish to have an answer to this similar problem, and need additional options?
  • 12 years ago
    If so, your suggestion harkens back to posts already made in Dec. 2013.
    Your helpfulness is far more likely to have impact in active dilemmas:This convo. does not show up under a search for dining, focal wall, or dark - the terms that your response might reference; as it was in opposition to the actual header. Ideabooks are a more accessable reference point for Houzzers who are looking for additional options, however, so perhaps you would like to leave your thoughts there:
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/single-design-moves-that-make-the-whole-dining-room-stsetivw-vs~27601796