Software
Houzz Logo Print
tonkasmom

empty wall ideas

12 years ago
Our huge media center cabinet that took up most of this white brick wall is now gone with new TV, so I have a lot of blank wall (cathedral ceiling). This is a curved wall so I have chosen to hang 3-D art, but need help to rehang, or redo art. I love color but am finding these pieces dull now….I can paint the pieces or replace……I have lots of color elsewhere in room

Comments (12)

  • 12 years ago
    I would add a wood mantle and wood floating shelves to break up the white. Something linear would also help break up the display pieces. Or maybe some frames to break it up...
    Dede Ward thanked Emily Long
  • 12 years ago
    Nice new TV and stand. If you have light in the room I would replace those dead sticks with green live plants. I'm not a fan of any of the wall art that you have chosen but if you like it that's all that matters. Are those little shelves build in to the brick or did you put them there? . If I had to put something on them I would maybe have chosen flame less candles. You are missing a mantel and can consider adding one.

    They make decorative concrete that you could cover the brick with to update it. I've seen them use it on HGTV to update old fireplaces and it's looks amazing. I also think you need a contrast color between the ceiling and brick. I would not paint a bring stripe down the middle like the last comment suggested.
    Dede Ward thanked Dalittlewon Turtle
  • 12 years ago
    The problem with adding a mantle is that the brick is curved….so there would be a gap between the mantle and the brick. I have that issue right now with the top of the metal fireplace cover. I had to fill with strip insulation in the 3 inch gap between the cover and the brick.
  • 12 years ago
    D. Turtle - would you cover the whole wall with the decretive concrete or just the area around the fireplace from top to bottom?
  • 12 years ago
    I would love to do something like this that I found here on Houzz - a collection of some sort….
  • 12 years ago
    or even different letters plain and in color
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Less is more! Take everything down and put up a big mirror over the fireplace and large vases and foliage on either side of the firplace. You are on the right track with the vases, you just need to go bigger and colorful. If you find vases that are the right size that you like consider spray painting them in an accent color that you a using in the room. You can even spray paint foliage or buy large colorful silk flowers. Make sure that you get the display to end at least at the middle of the mirror.
    Dede Ward thanked S&K Interiors LLC
  • 12 years ago
    I like the idea, but am concerned about the curve in the fireplace (the deepest curve is in the center of the fireplace) and hanging a large mirror that won't fit flush against the brick.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would suggest making the wall monochromatic and let the architectural curve of the be its own accent. Whatever you decide to hang in the space, duplicate the color of the wall.
    Dede Ward thanked Chameleon Paintworks Inc.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    tonkasmom, you may want to consider TVCoverUps. Framed art(including your own) or mirror adds to the room's decor with the hidden TV and Entertainment Consoles beneath.
    See how EASY it really is :
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree with the less is more comment in that there is too much disparity in all of the things you have hanging on the wall, no unifying theme. Does the hearth stop the same distance from the firebox opening on the left as it does on the right? If so or even if it doesn't, I would apply a vertical board from the outside edge of the hearth from floor to ceiling. Paint them and the brick between them a contrast color. There isn't enough detail in your photo for me to suggest a color but if the coral red pillow in the chair is a reoccurring theme in the room, that might be a good option. Make a paper template of the curve of the fireplace wall and have a mantle shelf made from plywood by cutting it to the template and apply it over the fireplace box with brackets. The shelf would have a straight edged front on it. You would be able to apply a skirt trim board along the front of it. Shelf board should overhang the skirt board by 1-2". Make the shelf about 6" wider than the firebox opening on each side and the bottom of the shelf (this includes the trim board) about 3-4 bricks above the opening Then, you could hang a grouping over the shelf of anything, like the glass bowls, just as long as there is a unifying theme. I have done a grouping of ceramic leaf shaped plates before. You can vary the size or shape and keep the material the same and the color the same, etc. or do them all exactly alike.
    One other thing, which you didn't ask about. The cabinet the TV is setting on is lovely, but it is not the correct size for the width of the TV. It needs to be at least another 6-8" on each side of the TV wider. Also I would suggest something a little lower. That cabinet looks to be at least 30-36" high. Might be better considering the more contemporary look of your room to be 24-28" high.
    Good luck,
    Connie Long
    Dede Ward thanked User