Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christopher_jones

Is travertine tile really a good idea?

10 years ago
I am thinking about installing travertine tile floors in my home. Are they really worth the extra care? Are they as hard or tedious as I have read? Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    10 years ago
    Natural stone is a beautiful floor finish for the interior or the exterior of your home. It does however require a measure of care to maintain the travertine as the stone needs to be kept clean and sealed. http://www.icsmag.com/articles/stone-floor-maintenance-travertine
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    If concerned about the maintenance aspect there are porcelain tiles available which have a similar look to real travertine but without the inherent maintenance involved. Some porcelain tiles have the pigment all the way through so you see the colour on exposed edges rather than Barr porcelain.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    That was supposed to say "bare" porcelain ... iPhone spell check :-)
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I have polished Noche travertine 18x18 no grout lines in our entires first floor including the kitchen. I love it! 10 yrs old and still looks clean fresh and gorgeous! Twice a month I vacuum it and mop with water and a little simple green (No kids or pets)
  • 10 years ago
    I absolutely love the look of the travertine. To me its timeless beauty, that if done properly could out last me haha. I’m looking to get some that are a cream color 18 X 18 filled and honed, installed in a broken joint pattern set on the diagonal with no grout lines. (You follow me? Lol) I want to run this throughout the house with the exception of the bedrooms, taking it all the way to the shower walls and floors. That being said, I also have two dogs (miniature schnauzers, Abraham and Lincoln :) ) and we like to host dinner parties and entertain friends. Speaking to other owners of travertine floors I have heard that theirs developed a kind of “dirty” appearance in the high traffic areas. Can anyone shed some light on what might have been the cause of this? Are these floors ok for my life style so to speak or will I need a crew of men working nights with buffers to keep these things looking good lol? I’m an ultra clean person as it is sweeping and mopping floors twice a week at minimum. Can anyone attest to cleaning agents and products they are using on theirs? What sealers are the best on the market? How often are you sealing? Thank you for everyone’s help!
  • 10 years ago
    Travertine is beautiful.
  • 10 years ago
    You don't want to use travertine inside of a shower. You can not clean it, even professionally.
  • 8 years ago

No grout lines? That would be lovely!

Can you really lay travertine tiles successfully without grout lines?! I'd love the look of no grout, but isn't it necessary?

Also, curious to know: Did you leave any space at all, or place the tiles tightly together?)

Is this true of all natural stone... you can lay it without grouting?? If so, I would put all my tile floors down without grout. Please let me know your thoughts & experiences. Thanks.

• 6 years ago
    Thumb.mñk