Software
Houzz Logo Print
rbthat

14 years ago
I broke down and bought front loaders and hate the smell my towels have and I only use HE detergent. I'm ready to get the old ones back my towels never smelled before. Any suggestions??
Supon Phornirunlit/ Naked Decor · More Info

Comments (9)

  • 14 years ago
    Try SA8 detergent and softener. It's the best! If you are not happy with it, you can send it back for a full refund... you can get it here:
    http://shop.eliavww.com I hope that helps!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Front loader have a pump drain which sometimes get stinky. There are cleaning tablets on the market, but running dishwasher detergent or simply bleach can help clean out the drain.
  • 14 years ago
    Don't leave the door closed on your machine when it's not in use.
    Don't leave your towels in the washer when it's done washing.
    You don't need HE detergent - a regular detergent will do, simply use much less. I take the cup that comes with regular detergent, dispense about 1/4"-3/8" worth and throw the cup into the wash rather than trying to pour it out.
  • 14 years ago
    I completely agree that leaving the washer door open and promptly removing wet items when the load is finished running. But, you may also need to leave the detergent dispenser open. Mildew will grow around the dispenser and you won't see it unless you remove it completely from time to time. So, even if the washtub smells fine, detergent run through a mildewy dispenser will make the entire load smell bad. I suggest giving the detergent dispenser a good cleaning before you ditch your washer.
  • 14 years ago
    I thought the same thing about my towels as well. Thanks for all the great advice.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I was told if you dont use HE detergent on a front loader the machine can break.
  • 13 years ago
    Run bleach through a complete cycle empty. If you still smell mold run another cycle with bleach, that should do the trick. Keep the door open fully. You will never have this problem again. Yes buy the cleaning tabs from Home Depot to clean your washer once a month. Remember mold clings with
    spores and embeds itself..so keep your door fully open at all times.
  • 13 years ago
    And take the detergent dispenser out between loads and let it dry. Also, use an old towel to dry out the gasket around the door. Sounds like a hassle, but takes seconds and prevents odor!