Software
Houzz Logo Print
vashopper06

Almost done but need help!

12 years ago
I'd like to paint the island but what color? I'll remove the corbels underneath and then need to find barstools. But what kind? I'm not sure about the blue one in the picture or maybe it will look better once I bead board/paint the island. Also, need to change out chandelier. Recommendations? Lastly, should I add pendent lights over the island? I was thinking a mercury antique glass pendant to pull from the family room or seeded urns. Just can't decide on those 4 items: chandelier, island paint color, pendants and barstools. Help me finish up this project!

Comments (17)

  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    You have a lovely home. The stool is too high -- look for counter stools (not bar stools). Sorry, not sure what to suggest for paint/island or chandelier. Do you need more lighting over island?
  • 12 years ago
    Lower chandelier some. Paint island deep grey with brown in it to match appliances
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    What color are those little accent tiles in your backsplash? Black or dark blue? And your valances, are they in a blue or a black?

    I see a shade of blue working and contrasting nicely with your floor.
    Studio Stratton Inc. · More Info

    blue cabinetry · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    This space is lovely. I would paint the island a very dark navy blue. I would not add bead board, not sure it works in this space. The stool is too tall. I like the style but would probably go with something darker. (Brown or navy maybe). I agree the light fixture needs to come down a bit and not sure I care for the one there. I will look for something and post later.
  • 12 years ago
    White ceiling either side of skylight in dining room, repaint in the wall color. Island bench would look good painted double strenght color in a blue similar tone to other blue ascents that are in your home. Stool seems too high could trim the legs to suit island better, or you may find some stools with adjustable seat mechanism. Lovely home:)
  • 12 years ago
    You seem to like blue and that would go well with your cherry stained cabinets. Something like this:
    Kitchen Renovation, River Forest, IL · More Info


    Finding the right blue will be the trick. Likely, it will be gray-ish. Maybe like Benjamin Moore's Wedgewood Gray.

    Pottery Barn has excellent island stools. If you have the space, I think the lowest one of these in the lighter colors would look nice. However, given that your cooktop is close to the chairs you might dirty them from cooking. So, you could look at the lowest PB Tibetan stools which are much like the one you have but lower. http://www.potterybarn.com/products/hayes-tufted-upholstered-barstool2/?pkey=cbarstools&cm_src=barstools||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
  • 12 years ago
    Oh, and consider paneling your island to give it a more custom look. You can just buy door panels to match your existing sized for your island. They can come ready to paint. There are many options out there. Here is one: http://www.cabinetdoorsdepot.com/doorbuild.php
  • 12 years ago
    Make sure that the corbels you're planning in removing aren't supporting the countertop overhang before you remove them (you may have to replace them with something else for support)
  • 12 years ago
    Good call on the white ceiling on either side of the skylight. Funny how you never notice it! I do know that the stool is too high however I"m trying to get an idea on style/color. (It was going back before I even left the store!) LOL!!

    The curtain swatch is attached and the backsplash little tiles are bronze in color with a grape motif (previous owners had quite the Tuscan look going.)

    Agree that the bead board is not the style of the kitchen but the paneling the compliment my current cabinets would be a great idea. I don't HAVE to have pendants over the island but definitely want to replace the chandelier so any suggestions welcome.

    Lastly, the kitchen color is SW Camelback and the family room/foyer is SW Believable Buff. I'm not sold on it. Can I do some type of greige paint in these rooms or just leave it? The granite is Santa Cecilia.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Love your fabric, take this swatch to the paint store and paint your island this lovely blue shade. It is already your accent…go for it!
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, love that fabric.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    A contrasting color will add visual interest to your kitchen. Here are some ideas as inspiration:

    DUTCH kitchens: TRADITIONAL style · More Info

    DUTCH kitchens: TRADITIONAL style · More Info


    Best of luck! Feel free to ask us if you have any questions.
  • 12 years ago
    Beautiful kitchen! What type of cooktop do you have?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Painting the island an antique white would really make it pop! We would add two small pendant lights over the island. Even if you don't need the light, they would really add a beautiful finishing touch.
  • 12 years ago
    Before you move the corbels make sure you will have the support you need for your overhang. Very important with granite. Bar stools, probably 24 inch, with a back on them. Maybe a metal back. You could add molding to the island before you paint it. I like the antique white idea. The chandelier does not match. A round faux candle chandelier would like nice. There are some fabulous onyx styles. Make it about 30 inches from the table. The one you have is much too high.
  • 12 years ago
    What beautiful rooms! I love your drapery fabric, I think painting the island a dark muted blue/gray would be nice. Low barstools similar to your cherry cabinet color. I think a chandelier with cleaner lines would fit your aesthetic better. I also love your current wall color, but if you're not feeling it I think greige would be just as nice.
    Two nice lantern style pendants hung high would be great. Determine what metal finish you want for your lighting before you start the search. I like oil rubbed bronze for lighting but maybe would switch out your cabinet hardware and faucet for something in brushed stainless.