Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbmarti2

Should I buy marble to top this chest?

Shawn
10 years ago
Hi All,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma regarding what to do with a blanket chest I'm currently using as a coffee table. I really like the piece, but it's a bit rough and will need some work regardless of which direction I choose. The biggest dilemma is if I should buy a marble slab for the top of it to match the end tables. I only mention this because I can buy a pre-cut slab for around 40 bucks that is a pretty close fit- it is the right width, although the length is two inches shorter than the chest (36 inches vs. 38).

The other option is that I could paint the chest (colour undetermined) as it would be easier than stripping or sanding. I could put marble on the top of it regardless of if I paint, but given that my end tables are stained it may look a bit off.

Thoughts?
Stain chest, but otherwise leave as is
Marble top only
Paint chest only
Marble top and paint

Comments (13)

• Shawn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are a few more pictures of the chest. I'll have to strip the veneer from the sides regardless as you can see the state of it.
  • Shawn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Also, if people recommend painting I'd be interested what colour they were thinking.
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    You have two pretty Eastlake side tables. I would just stain the chest as I feel it would look too match to top it with marble and off because the marble is too small.

Now that you added a photo and I can see the damaged side I think you should paint it. Your room looks pretty neutral I would pick a fun turquoise or red.
    Shawn thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    10 years ago
    I'd paint the chest - add new hardware, and if you want it larger, add mercury glass or thick cut glass. Marble doesn't really make sense to me. Especially next to a cream leather sofa. Good Luck!
    Shawn thanked Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
  • Shawn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Both are good points- I've mainly been considering the size difference, but matching them too closely may look like I'm trying too hard! I'm going for more of a casual kind of decorating
  • Shawn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I'm not hugely attached to it- I just kind of like it. I'm happy to move it elsewhere if I find something that is more suitable for the space, but I don't mind putting some work into it to make it look sharper than it currently does.

It looks like the general consensus is to paint it rather than stain it, and that does work out better for me in terms of my experience. Does anyone have any thoughts on what colour to use, or to paint it with two tones?

I'm going to add a lot of blue and green to this space when I get around to it, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that neutral colours probably make more sense!
  • PRO
    S&K Interiors LLC
    10 years ago
    Here's another vote for no marble and painting the chest. A beautiful blue or green would look great! Then add pillows and accessories in your paint color. Here are some painted chests.
  • PRO
    Carol Spong Interior Design
    10 years ago
    Agreed, forget the marble. If you want a bigger top on the chest, get a 3/4" thick piece of glass and have it overhang about 3" on all sides. Stain the chest beforehand. The 3/4"thick glass will be heavy and solid and look very rich.
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    I like that the chest is cedar lined. I would definitely try painting it. I would rethink the choice of another neutral color. This would be a great place to introduce an accent color.
  • Shawn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    OK, I like the idea of painting it something bold, I'm just tenative when it comes to making the jump. Below are the blue and green I'm going with- they would be extremely bold on that chest, but who knows?
  • lionnessone
    10 years ago
    No marble/glass.........Paint your piece.........If you place a slab of marble or glass on top you will have to remove it every time you need something within your chest.
  • Shawn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    OK, marble is out. I think I'll strip and stain the top a darker colour, and then do the rest in Aubusson blue chalk paint (or a similar Benjamin Moore colour as I don't need to drive a few hours to get it). The below is what I would aim for, although I doubt I'd be able to replicate it as it would take two different kinds of paint, the darker wax, and significantly more talent than I have at this.

[houzz=
    My Houzz: French Country Meets Southern Farmhouse Style in Georgia · More Info
    ]
Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County