Software
Houzz Logo Print
twinmum11

Living room needs a POP!

12 years ago
I feel like my living room is so plain and boring. I want to give it some life as well as make the back wall more cohesive. I have really enjoyed our wall of frames that we have put together over the years and now I want the adjacent wall to feel finished.

I know that the curtains need to be raised to the ceiling but I want to get new curtains altogether. Should I go with a geometric pattern or something with a horizontal pattern (chevron or stripe)?

Comments (12)

  • 12 years ago
    Paint the walls white so you have some contrast to all the brown. Some patterned drapes and more colorful sofa pillows would perk it up.
  • 12 years ago
    Maybe a nice piece of art over the armoire. Perhaps reign in the gallery wall so it's not drifting across the room. Put some of the photos on the other wall in some form of alignment. I would search on Houzz for ideas on making a gallery art/ picture wall arrangement. Best wishes!
  • 12 years ago
    I'd suggest removing the art from the other walls altogether, it's distracting from your gallery wall and just making the room feel busy. That's also why I'd go with solid curtains instead of pattern, but color would help you in there. Maybe a gray blue?

    And then add in some throw pillows that go well with the curtains and tie in the color?

    Also, a larger ottoman would help ground the room, as would turning the chair to face the sofa instead of the TV.
    Decor by Denise · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I agree to let the gallery wall be the art wall only so there is no other competition......the only exception would be the piece by the armoire.....take it off the wall and prop it on the armoire, as was suggested already. Remove the items from the corner there, too and try the cute little white table and chairs there instead of at the end of the couch. Then slide the bookshelf down to that area.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Maybe the two pieces by the window could go on the doorway wall by the tv??? If you still want them in the room? The clock might look nice over the armoire, too.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would add a colorful rug, even though you have carpet. It doesn't look like that light colored carpet is your friend anyways (maybe that's just the lighting of the pic).
  • 12 years ago
    Paint the walls pure white, add solid colored curtains that are a medium color, take away all the art on the one wall leaving a FEW medium-large ones to fill in space, and a sleek or contemporary piece of furniture; replacing couch most likely.
  • 12 years ago
    Group your family photos (larger ones) and hang either vertically or horizontally to give the wall more of an impact.
  • 12 years ago
    Just adding to the other good ideas. Could you move the armoire down just a little so that it is centered on the wall? Maybe the things in that corner can find another "home".
  • 12 years ago
    Even though you have an overhead light, have you considered a couple funky lamps with basic shades?
  • 12 years ago
    Agree to reign in the gallery wall and picture over armoire. Add on the solid curtains...something that cheers you and is welcoming (greens?) and carry it through with the pillows you select.


    Tons of great shots on houzz for that sectional and adding some color. Have fun! Should be a nice updo!