Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houzzerpolls

POLL: Favorite couch color?

Houzz Polls
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
What couch color/look do you like best?

Vote for your choice! To win a pair of Houzz slippers, post a comment telling us what color your couch is now, (photos welcomed too) and you will automatically be entered into the drawing.

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 2/5/2014. One winner will be drawn at random.
Other - Tell us below!

Comments (307)

• marypar
    10 years ago
    I have two friends who have canvas duck slipcovers and they love them. I'n considering this as well. One has dark green and one has several sets, cream, blue, beige with red plaid cording. She changes her decor easily.
  • lp117
    10 years ago
    We have two darker green couches in a fairly plain fabric. THey have held up well with four grandsons growing up close by!! I would like to have a lighter color now that they are older!!
  • Nancy Ferro
    10 years ago
    White
  • Molly Carothers
    10 years ago
    Brown leather
  • oceanfl
    10 years ago
    Neutral colors
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    We have a cream colored leather in our lower level, a brown leather in our family room, and a muted cloth in the living room. It all works for the room it is in and the use it gets. Makes decorating lots of fun, too.
  • PRO
    Realstone Systems
    10 years ago
    I currently have a cream couch, but I've been obsessing about the gray couch & minimalist living room feel I've been seeing in ideabooks lately!
    A perfectly pale interior with Nordic influences · More Info

Scandinavian style on a budget in a small city apartment · More Info

My Houzz: Amy and Kerri · More Info

Madison Square Apartment · More Info
  • lkm1996
    10 years ago
    gold tapestry...
  • marathonmom
    10 years ago
    We currently have a teal-colored sofa, which it would love to replace with something more neutral. On the plus side, the dark color was great when our kids were younger.
  • PRO
    Eades Wallpaper and Fabric
    10 years ago
    Currently we are using a dark brown sofa. It gives the room a warm inviting casual feeling in the home. Its a great background for bold decorative pillows that offer a splash of color.
  • melodireyes
    10 years ago
    This has been a really informative exchange. I hadn't thought about it but my red/large/floral patterned sofa in my family room is really wearing out. It's about 20 years old and I love it but there are little tears in the cushions and thin places all over. Everyone's comments have provided lots of useful suggestions. Thanks.
  • jvawter
    10 years ago
    I actually liked the green peeking out of the bottom of the 3rd photo but it was not a choice for the poll. I like the green because it is different and rather versatile for many color pallets and decorating styles. The other choices look "been there done that" although I did pick the leather for both the color and the texture. It can be a versatile piece too and would look striking as a focal point (like it is here; offset by the other bold prints in the room).
  • honeypoppet
    10 years ago
    GREY GREY GREY! Matches with anything....so easy to base a room on grey and white...then change accessories as you get bored of them....
  • PRO
    Baltimore Design Group
    10 years ago
    Gray is a fabulous color for a sofa/couch. Not only is it forgiving of showing wear and tear, but it also provides stunning contrast for throw pillows, area rugs, wall and window treatments in most colors, ranging from pastels to bright or dark.
  • cbailie
    10 years ago
    Red! It goes with my crazy wing back chair and beautiful rug. In our Florida place I have a soft creamy yellow.
  • PRO
    SuisseSwiss
    10 years ago
    Now it's dark pink !
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    10 years ago
    CONGRATULATIONS to Studio M Interior Design for winning her very own pair of Houzz slippers! If you missed out on this one, you still have some time left to get your comments into our Kitchen Update poll!
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/how-would-you-update-your-kitchen-dsvw-vd~830826
  • PRO
    Beckony Kitchens & Baths
    10 years ago
    It's hard to top a buttery soft worn leather couch in a rustic cabin, a tufted leather Chesterfield in a gentleman's library, or sleek leather couch with metal supports and accents in a modern loft. Leather is so timeless, always invokes quality, and is so versatile in so many different design styles.
  • sharkmmsyellow2013
    9 years ago
    yuck. i hate leather couches
  • pnrh
    9 years ago
    i do not have a couch I'm using my basement couch as I'm having a problem finding
    a living room couch. Its a big deal as we just moved and retired. trying to budget and
    find a good couch, not easy to do.
  • halchatko
    9 years ago
    Antique or thrifts like salvation army or goodwill have great deals or try moving and yard sales you'll find nice couches for under $100.
  • jvawter
    9 years ago
    Seal Gray is my fave couch color right now! Gray goes with anything and gives a background for unusual colors or colors you want to pop. It looks fabulous. I love gray and orange. Those colors were hot last year but I am not ready to move on yet.
  • User
    9 years ago
    A comfy couch in a natural-looking fiber - linen, grainsack or hessian. But then again, in a different house/galaxy, a Louis XVI cream silk settee....
  • cmendlow
    9 years ago
    I have dark brown leather. Most practical for household with little kids. I wish I could get a light colored fabric couch but that will have to wait for a different stage of life. As many posters have said, it's easy to add a throw and colored cushions to change up the look every so often.
  • PRO
    FurreverYours
    9 years ago
    With kids, gray is a good neutral color. Without kids, I would love to have a cream color couch. #BeSeenBeSafe
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    Its funny how creme is the pick...but hardly anyone I have worked with selects creme...I guess they are too sensible...but I do love the creme idea.
  • Mark
    9 years ago
    We always had dark sofas when I lived at home which were practical for my Mom (rest in peace) but I grew so tired of dark upholstery that the first sofa I ever purchased was off white. I have cream color sofas in my home now and I love them.
  • PRO
    Baltimore Design Group
    9 years ago
    Sofa's should be a color less likely to show dirt. I love chenille and velvety textures in darker colors against which I use strong pops of contrast colors for the throws and pillows.
  • PRO
    Eskandari Stone
    9 years ago
    I like grey, cream and red color couch.
  • clr23
    9 years ago
    Cognac brown leather
  • horselover222
    9 years ago
    Love the muted colors!
  • Beanie Woods
    9 years ago
    I love the cream color. I have tried most of the other options but now my kids are grown and I am ready for cream.
  • shivece
    9 years ago
    Our couch has been recovered in a color I fondly refer to as "dog dirt" -
  • feeny
    9 years ago
    Pale mushroom.
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago
    2 leather couches in a saddle leather and a couch in blue-green velvet
  • Kendrah
    9 years ago
    How is black not included on this list? So handsome I am having a second one upholstered.
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    Brown or gray....or other.
  • downsouth
    9 years ago
    yikes, here's my hideous couch! It's 20 years old! I'm waiting fire my oldest son to graduate from college this year and he'll get it for his apartment along with a slip cover! never again will I get a pattern couch, but it was pretty for many years. i can't wait to get a new couch and chairs in a neutral color!
  • PRO
    Jacklynn Little Interiors
    9 years ago
    Grey is my new SOFA Colour, check out my picture and Houzz profile.
  • Joan
    8 years ago

Green velveteen. Soft, comfy and it's the first one the cats don't want to claw to bits. Yay!

• clh582001
    8 years ago
    Gray herringbone - not too light and not too dark with button tufting on the back. They have to last a long time, so I didn't want a pattern or color that I would grow tired of. With a change of pillows and throws, they look completely different, so I should not get bored anytime soon.
  • denisenj13
    8 years ago

does anyone have any experience with pottery barns washed linen fabric or the brushed canvas? Can't decide. I have 3 kids and a dog and need it to be durable. I plan on getting the PB comfort roll arm slipcovered but can't decide on a fabric. I love that either fabric I can wash but nervous about wrinkles after people sit on it.

• PRO
    Fletcher Cameron Kitchens
    8 years ago

I love leather except that when it gets old, it tends to crack. The smell of leather is not my favorite either. Either way, modern couches are the way to go!

• PRO
    K&N Appliance Gallery
    8 years ago

Cream for the win!

• PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    8 years ago

Studio NOO Design's portfolio · More Info

White or bold colors....
    Crystal's Penthouse · More Info

• Tina Smith
    8 years ago
    love my brown leather couch
  • PRO
    Comfort Works Custom Slipcovers
    8 years ago

I'd have to go with bright bold vivid stuff, with contrast. Although everything else is so pretty!

Custom Manstad Slipcover in Nomad Red with contrast white piping · More Info

Custom Kivik Slipcovers with Contrast Piping · More Info

Chris@Comfort Works

• jackoz1976
    7 years ago

Our couch now is chocolate brown. I wanted a patchwork, but that was voted down.......mostly because of the price!

• printesa
    7 years ago

was the patchwork by Ligne Roset? it is pricey, but beautiful

• Nancy Ferro
    7 years ago

Cream, formal or informal.