Software
Houzz Logo Print
marietta_ashcraft

Please help with my color dilemma in my living room.

12 years ago
Can I put dark brown leather sofas to replace the white ones in my living room? I'm so afraid there will just be way too much dark brown.

Comments (19)

  • 12 years ago
    I'm sure a big off white rug would help, but it's scarey spending almost $4G for a sofa without really knowing how it's going to look. Unfortunately, the sofa I have fallen in love with does not come in off white leather. Does anyone know of a website where I can use my own photo and tweek the furniture colors?
  • 12 years ago
    Overloads of blah brown are a constant dilemma at Houzz. There are other, less $$$ things you can do while retaining the sofas. Accessories are easily changed and won't cost you $4G.
    Black + White Office · More Info
    Modern Bermuda · More Info
    Marblehead Residence · More Info
    Earlmont House · More Info
    Marietta Ashcraft thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 12 years ago
    decoenthusiaste: My sofas are 14 years old and need to be replaced. Are you suggesting I just get them recovered and keep them off white?
  • 12 years ago
    You could slipcover them in off white and get a few more years of use, but whatever you do, steer clear of a heavy overload of brown.
    Marietta Ashcraft thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 12 years ago
    Are you planning on painting, keeping the rug??
    Marietta Ashcraft thanked armygirl1987
  • 12 years ago
    I would suggest beige or taupe even. Either color is neutral enough that you could easily swap the throw pillows with each season. If the furniture has a nice solid frame, consider having it recovered.
    Marietta Ashcraft thanked mjbme4
  • 12 years ago
    I think dark brown could be just too much. Perhaps if you had lots of pale light cushions and an off white rug as someone suggested. It looks really nice as it is though.
    Marietta Ashcraft thanked Freda Valentine
  • 12 years ago
    mjbme4: : Actually, the new sofa I love comes in Taupe but it seems to have too much grey in it. My wall colors are very warm. The sofas are solid frames, but all the cushions are down and they are now poking through and matted down.
  • 12 years ago
    For a quick idea of how the brown will look go to a discount store and buy two king size sheets in a dark color preferably brown but black would work in a pinch. Just be sure they are the same intensity as the new sofa. throw them over the current sofas and you will see what you are dealing with. The reason I suggest this is that I wonder if your room is really as dark as it came out in the photo.
    Marietta Ashcraft thanked mfwolfe
  • 12 years ago
    Marietta
    I have just been looking to see if there are any software programmes for home design. The one I found which is $79 is Homedesigners .software.com a Chief Architect software. In it you can change colours of furniture etc. . It sounds really good and I shall look into purchasing this myself.
    Hope this is helpful for you.
    Best Regards
    Freda
    Marietta Ashcraft thanked Freda Valentine
  • 12 years ago
    my brother has the same wall color and his sofa's are a butter color leather. it looks beautiful next to the orange and dark floors. He pulled in other colors in an area rug.
    Marietta Ashcraft thanked iagirl
  • 12 years ago
    I think it will look great ! Just accent with lighter colors and rug. I love my chocolate leather sofas!
    Marietta Ashcraft thanked Tara D
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Dark leather sofas would just disappear into the floor. To solve that a large rectangular rug would solve the problem. I would recommend one with a pattern since everything else in the room is solid.
    Marietta Ashcraft thanked Ku Interior Design
  • 12 years ago
    Get groverAxle to help you ,he or she has the software and is very good at design advice ,give a shot out someone
    Marietta Ashcraft thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • 12 years ago
    Where is Grover Axle located?
  • 12 years ago
    Addison Design: I already have two patterned rugs in the same area. I think I need some local professional design help to come in and assess what I have.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I saw the round rug. It looks good with the colors in the room but, I don't think it's large enough for the space especially if you get the dark brown sofas.
    Marietta Ashcraft thanked Ku Interior Design
  • 12 years ago
    Addison: You're right, I would need a much larger rug. Thanks lots for the help.