Software
Houzz Logo Print
denisekehler

what backsplash should I get?

12 years ago
Need help with backsplash and light ideas. Thanks

Comments (23)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Can you send a couple more pics of the kitchen , mostly where the light is supposed to go and also a description of granite colors
  • 12 years ago
    If you want a seamless look you should get tile and grout that closely match the upper cabinet colour. Or go with something that extends the color palette of the counter (see photo)

    Alternatively you can add color and visual interest with a bold backsplash, but only if you want that to be the focal point
    Denise K thanked shantelwatkin
  • 12 years ago
    The base cabinets are a chocolate color. It is Oxford on cherry from Wood_Mode
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Yes, please post photo for location of lighting. The lighting should tie in with the cabinet hardware (i.e rubbed bronze, vintage rust, etc.)
  • 12 years ago
    The granite is Santa Cecilia
  • 12 years ago
    Oil rubbed bronze hardware and fault. The light will be positioned over the island.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    So it is a single outlet yes? Are there any other light fixtures in the vicinity? Not that they need to be matchy-matchy but should share similar elements.
  • 12 years ago
    No we did recessed lighting
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Okay - to get an idea of taste - here are a few options - each fixture can create a different ambiance for the kitchen. The drum and chandelier will blend ambient and task light whereas the hooded fixtures are more task oriented. Also, since there is only one fixture - scale is important.
    HGTV Veronica Semi-Flush / Pendant · More Info
    HGTV Veronica Chandelier · More Info
    Chadwick Restoration Pendant · More Info
    Farmhouse Adjustable Pendant · More Info
    Denise K thanked Whispar Design
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you Wispar Design. I know I should have at least 24" for the light diameter. We have a Tiffany style light in the dining room and I didn't know if that would be a good choice.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Quite welcome. Are you able to post a photo of the Tiffany fixture?
    Denise K thanked Whispar Design
  • 12 years ago
    I think I need my grandchildren here to post a pic of my light. I am having trouble lol
  • 12 years ago
    I would do a silver backslash. Would look fabulous!
    Denise K thanked Jessica LA
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I think a lantern style light would look great;) rest arrow on pic to enlarge
    Otrada LLC · More Info
    Denise K thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    I am also looking for a backsplash for blue flower counters. I don't want to introduce too much pattern in the backsplash so I'm thinking about a large grey glass tile with white grout. But still looking.
    Denise K thanked Paula Patterson
  • 12 years ago
    Very nice ideas thanks everyone.
  • 12 years ago
    Denise, are you picking a colour from the granite for your walls? Or what are you planning?
  • 12 years ago
    Yes the walls will be ivory. We thought about gray but ivory is better suited to our earth tone taste.
  • 12 years ago
    Hmm. Since our cabinets are all a warm white, we are going to have to go with a colour.
    Denise K thanked Paula Patterson
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Bliss Spa Stone and Glass Linear Mosaic Tile, 4" X 6" Sample · More Info
    Something subtle with a fresh color. This would help to play up the granite and add interest to the space. If you want more warmth and light play try something like
    "Johnson" Kitchen Granite & Backsplash · More Info
    With natural stones and pearl it would combo with your granite well. This light fixture is warm and natural and would add some interest to the kitchen and draw the eye up.
    Basiliano 1-Light Pendant · More Info
    You might even be able to use Edison style bulbs with that pendant. This next light here is fun and fresh. It has clean lines and neutral colors and would soften the space as well will keeping it simplewhile but being fun.
    Deco Deluxe Pendant Lamp, Circles · More Info
    Denise K thanked Mandie Click
  • 12 years ago
    I think a stone tile like in the picture would look great with the cabinets
    Denise K thanked alexpetersen06
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Thanks for posting the photos of the other lamp. Although it is a Tiffany style - it is not necessary to have a matching Tiffany unless you really like the look - which is perfectly okay! It's hard to tell from the photo what the colors are but something like these would work with the space:

    I also like the idea of a lantern-style posted by others above. The kitchen has a cottage feel to is and as long as the finish is the same as the other fixture - it could look really nice in the space, especially if on a dimmer.
    14" Yorkville Pendant · More Info
    Denise K thanked Whispar Design