Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marietreez

Bedroom Decor, Color scheme, window treatments

marietreez
10 years ago
Hello!

This week i am finishing the paint job and Next week I will buying the flooring (and doing prep work) for the bedroom I will be staying in. First, let me tell you that I am a (going back after the first go around) college student with a full time job. I don't make much, and I am by all means not an interior designer.
Second, I am unsure of my "style". I am looking for a space that is calming, and Indian style-ish? Not quite sure how to describe it. I like greens, Grays, Teals, Mixed with a little of warm red. ( do these colors even work together? haha )
Third, I'm looking for all around advice from color scheme to furniture, art, rugs, etc. (I lean towards black furniture)

The space is small (about 130 Sq feet, with a small walk in closet) and 1 window.

Any advice is welcome, just keep that college student budget in mind ;)

(hooked on the bedding pictured)

Comments (27)

• marietreez
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The flooring, and some decor I enjoy.
  • marietreez
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Too much green?
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    I love the entire Zen vibe all the way up to the red pillow. Don't think it has the right red to it and does not have your mmmmmm feel to it. If you have your yellow tone floors, perhaps you can move more toward the actual tones of your Jacobean floral print?
  • marietreez
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Absolutely! Would you have any recommendations? The pillow is mainly for the texture. Something about the bunched up balls caught my attention? Also, is the light gray/teal pillow too muted?
  • marietreez
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    curtains to match?
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    marie, love the draperies! Love diamond shaped pillow and the elephant with this also.
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    marietreez -- The bed/bedding and color of the room is both fun and dramatic! Great choices -- the colors are wonderful together, so my thoughts are to tie them together through the pillows and perhaps, a small area rug. A nightstand in black or a bright color to match the pillows would also bring all the pieces together. More ideas to have fun with! The black nightstand is $69 at Ikea -- perfect for the student budget. The green and red nightstands are from Pottery Barn.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • karelina
    10 years ago
    Love the colors! Use something natural on your floors - to go with the Indian flavor. Lovely rugs come from India in you color palette. Build the room around a rug. Check out eBay for inexpensive indian rugs.
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    Also had a small area rug in mind, so will post that too. Have fun creating a space that makes you feel happy and good luck in school!

• marietreez
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Christi- thank you for your advice, I see you comment on a lot of other posts and I appreciate the help! Do you know where I can find a rug like that?
  • marietreez
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    karelina- do you have any suggestions on floor coloring? Thank you for your input!
  • marietreez
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Also, does anyone have any idea where I can find a small desk?(3 or so feet in width)
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Do you have a style for the desk that you like. Try amazon, overstock, ikea.
  • marietreez
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am unsure about a style. I just know that it needs to be relatively small. At least under 4 feet in width. I recently gave all my furniture to my boyfriend whose house burnt down in the Texas fires a few years back. So ill slowly be gathering some furniture. I do have one dresser but it will be in the closet.
  • karelina
    10 years ago
    You asked, so . . . Wood goes with anything. If you have wood, I'd refinish it. If not, I'd get linoleum, a natural flooring. As for color, if not wood, lino comes in all kinds of interesting color combos. You could probably find a spatter pattern with your colors in it. Go for it!
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    Hi marietreez,

You're very welcome. And thank you. And...I sure do! You can find that rug at Thos. Baker! It's Dash & Albert's Aquinnah Rug. It comes in 7 different sizes and shipping is free (at least at the time of this post, it is.)

Just go to www.thosbaker.com. In fact, you might find another colorful Dash & Albert rug in the collection that you like even more. They also come in smaller sizes, which might work for your space and budget.

Am posting a few pics of small black desks. (you mentioned that you prefer black furniture) They're all budget-conscious picks, so hopefully, one of them will be a style and size that works for you. I think the little secretary desk (bottom right) would look great with your bed. Let us know! P.S. Am very sorry to hear of your boyfriend's misfortune, but he was also blessed by your generous spirit.

top left: Overstock.com
    top right: Ikea/ Leksvik Desk
    bottom left: Overstock.com
    bottom right: Walmart

• marietreez
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Just wanted to post some updated photos! Advice still welcomed
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    Hi Marie. Looks like you're making progress! The wall color is beautifully vibrant and looks great with the black doors and white trim! Are you still buying the teal bedding you posted for us at the top? Thought I'd explore wall art -- images you might find serene and calming. The feathers reflect an "Indian" style of art and the teal watercolor flower goes with the bedding you chose. I'm drawn to the top left for it's soothing qualities, but think the orange and complimentary shades of green in top right blend with the walls and provide a serene (albeit bright!) image,

• Holly Barnett
    10 years ago
    Hello! yes I am still thinking that I'll go with the teal beding, but I'm still debating on other choices. I love the suggested art!
  • PRO
    Design Elements
    10 years ago
    Yes you can definitely make those colors match. Since you are on a budget, check out Target! Believe it or not, they have some great stuff!
  • karelina
    10 years ago
    One suggestion. I would really paint the trim a contrasting color, like the teal and pick it up in pix and pillows. The white just doesn't do it!
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    Your room is small, so with the black door, deep green walls and the possibility that you may go with black furniture, I think you need the white trim to keep a pure and simple contrast against the other colors you're incorporating. The white trim also provides a smooth transition into the white blinds. I think white was the perfect choice for the trim. You could actually blend one or two small, inexpensive pieces of white furniture with black furniture to add a lightness of being in the midst of the other richer, darker or bolder colors you enjoy.

Posting photos of rooms that are a mix of green, black, blues and white and how the combinations work beautifully together. But, also how white enhances all of the other colors and gives the room needed light.

• karelina
    10 years ago
    Ah! I see where Thos. Baker is coming from. It's the yin & yang - I agree with him - more white.
  • Holly Barnett
    10 years ago
    I am so glad you said this. I was looking at white desks from ikea and was hesitant on picking one up due to the rest of the furniture being black. I did pick up an expedit shelving unit and added white draws and a white bin. I still need to go back for the teal drawers or storage door. The buddha painting is from ross and can be changed. I'm actually very upset that I didn't get the one in teal. I brought the painting home and was so disappointed. The teal table will either be moved, or painted, or I'll find a decal to cover the top. grabbed it at the last minute, brought it home, and realized if the bedding was teal this was not going to do it for me. Trial and error I guess :/
  • karelina
    10 years ago
    Looking good!
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    It's coming together! Why not paint the small teal table white!