Software
Houzz Logo Print
kessie_poole

raised breakfast bar or level?

12 years ago
I am building a home in Adelaide Australia and wondering which to choose. photo of the raised option is attached. interested in style and practicality :) thank you
raised breakfast bar
level breakfast bar

Comments (10)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    This is one of those topics which you will find strong opinions on both styles.

    I love flat single level counters. It is easier to keep clean and allows you to have an open smooth work area.
  • 12 years ago
    When we renovated our kitchen we had a raised breakfast bar on our island - after living with it for a year, we removed it and replaced with a flat extended surface. It opended up the space and was more inviting. Plus I like having the extra space when cooking or baking.
  • 12 years ago
    The flat one looks sharp and more modern . My only issue with it would be onion peels flying to adjoining room. :-p
  • 12 years ago
    I am having a flat one in my new home. This comes up often here. As Lampert Dias Architects says opinions are about half and half.

    One consideration - what are you going to be doing on the counter? If you have a sink there you might want raised to help prevent water splashing the diners, or hiding the dirty dishes. Or if your cooktop is there, you don't want grease to splatter.

    I think the flat is a cleaner look overall.
  • 12 years ago
    We have a flat surface and I like it. It's easier to clean and it looks better. If you don't have the space for a larger counter, then you could do the raised one. I think the raised one is just for lack of space like in the small homes of California or in apartments.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    IMO a single island / bar tends to be more contemporary.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Bar height is starting to be phased out in my opinion, unless it's specifically a "bar area". For a kitchen space with room for eating, I'd prefer to keep it level :)
  • 10 years ago
    I think the one level counter had been around for five years at least and the trend will soon go the other way. The bar height is great for computer work, keeping kids away from hot burners, hiding the miscellaneous tools of the kitchen, actually looks more streamlined than open cluttered flat counter. I like a little more variation in height as I look back toward my kitchen from family room rather than counter height barely above my sofa height.
    If you your kitchen and surrounding space is VERY roomy and you have a lot of kitchen storage to hide all of the stuff that might otherwise be on the counter, I think the one big surface works well too.
  • 3 years ago

    The two level counter is only useful to hide the lower counter from seeing it from another room. Usually it ends up a catch all for stuu that should be put away. One level counter is much more useful.