Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchendreamer2

Living room Something is not right Please help

Lynn Birrell
10 years ago
Have inherited some pieces from my mother that I have incorporated into my living room. Having tried a few different arrangements this seems to be the best, but something does not feel right, or comfortable. Any suggestions help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I cannot nor want to buy large furnishings.

Comments (23)

• leelee
    10 years ago
    The ottoman doesn't work. If you want to keep it have the chair and the ottoman recovered in the same fabric. Solid would be best but a stripe or pattern might work but not a floral.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    The white picture frames would look more dramatic if spray painted gold or even bronze.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Try placing the plant on the floor and get a large live Boston fern for the plant stand.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    The two mirror small mirrors on each side of the large one should be removed.
  • vkilpatrick
    10 years ago
    I think the couch would be best along that long wall with the two pictures. And too many competing florals. The rug and the ottoman don't play well together. Too many chairs, just one or two, I think.
    Looks like a cozy space, you are almost there. How wonderful you have kept items from your mother.
  • Robin
    10 years ago
    Try moving the two chairs on the bigger wall closer to the round end table. Move the chairs so there is about 3inches from the arms and the table. Move the cream stripe chair forward 10 to 12 inches. Move the little plant on the stand back towards the corner and move the ottoman under the mirror.
    I hope that will help.
  • Lynn Birrell
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    A couple more
  • Mary Grable
    10 years ago
    Is the foot stool fabric the same as the wing chair? If so, place it with the wing chair. It does not work with the darker chair. Try placing the cream chair where the dark chair is to quiet down the floral patterns. Also the pictures appear to be too low with the height of the chairs. I think the frame color is fine. Is there a couch in the room? I'm not liking the looks of 3 chairs all placed together. There seems to be no purpose for the 3rd chair. You have some very pretty pieces!
  • PRO
    First Impressions Home Staging & Redesign, LLC
    10 years ago
    The furnishings in the room are competing with the artwork and rug. I would suggest finding an inexpensive chair cover for the white chair that matches the red chair. If you want to keep the wingback chair in the room, I would suggest getting it reupholstered in a solid color (cream). I would move the cream colored chair to where the wingback chair is now and move the console table in your window to the wall under the mirror. The print on the ottoman should work better if you do the above suggestions for the chairs. If not, you can always cover it with a cream or green colored soft throw. Hope this helps.
  • Fati Grl
    10 years ago
    I think you should move the floral chair to where to white chair is and vice versa.
  • PRO
    Nesco Upholstery
    10 years ago
    I would reupholster the ottoman. The floral print is a little much, given the floral pattern chair and the flower on the rug.
  • PRO
    Warner Decor
    10 years ago
    Hi! have you considered a slip cover for the ottoman?

These both come in different colors:

http://deciture.com/shop/furniture/7/sophia-slipcovered-ottoman/

http://deciture.com/shop/furniture/7/mayfair-slipcovered-ottoman/
    Lynn Birrell thanked Warner Decor
  • Lynn Birrell
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you everyone for the comments. I (we...lol) will rearrange the furnishings this weekend. If I put the sofa table under the mirror do I just leave the window area open? Also the swivel chair seems to small to be placed on the big wall? If I do all cream in the wing back and ottoman do I have enough color in other areas? Thanks alot
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Lynn - Yes I would just leave the window area open. Let them speak for themselves. Right now, the table is competing with them. I would dress up the windows with some nice sheer curtains. I can't tell from your picture what you are currently using.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    You can add pops of color by using flowers on your console table and colored window sheers. Accessories are a great place to bring in color. Throw pillows, throws across the chairs, etc...
  • Allison Hanner
    10 years ago
    Have the ottoman and wing back chair covered in a solid fabric and paint the walls green to pick up color in your rug. Move the plant on the stand to the corner.
  • Allison Hanner
    10 years ago
    I would also move the sofa table under the mirror instead of having it in front of the window.
  • Laraine
    8 years ago
    A larger plant that drapes over the plant stand like a Boston fern might look better. The ottoman fabric matching the chair would look nice, not floral, plain colour.
  • rocketjcat
    8 years ago
    Old Post from 2014.
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago

I didn't notice a coffee table. I feel that you should recover the ottoman in a solid fabric and if you don't have a coffee table, use the ottoman

• User
    7 years ago

VERY OLD POST!

• PRO
    Nicholas Renn
    7 years ago

To your statement of "something doesn't feel right" first thing that strikes me is having 3 mismatch chairs, style and colors. If you want to keep the wing chair and ottoman, the rest of the furniture needs to be a solid color. The most cost effective would be to reupholster the two chairs in a matching fabric. To make the room feel comfortable I think that would be your best start. Hope this helps.