Software
Houzz Logo Print
glendagc11

what's wrong with this room?

this is a small family room that needs some visual appeal. mirrors too high? too small? need something else?

Comments (16)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Except for the toys on the floor, there seems to be a definite lack of color in the room, and therein perhaps lies the problem. Granted, the photo seems to have been taken with insufficient light, and that can for sure throw off the whole look of a room! So is the problem a bad photo or lack of color in the room?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would add another lamp or two and change the mirrors to colorful art. I like the mirrors but would place the elsewhere and with less space between them.

    The addition of colorful pillows would also cheer things up.
  • 12 years ago
    The sofa isn't centered on the wall for one thing, so that makes the mirrors "off" too. They aren't doubling anything you probably want to see two of, so I'd go for one large piece of colorful art hung 5" above the center of the sofa. Lose the side table and put a pair of matching floor lamps either side of the sofa. Add pillows and CA-KD suggested. Without seeing the rest of your space I can't make better suggestions. If you have a dark corner or hallway, the mirrors might be fun stacked vertically to draw light into that space.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    the sofa is actually a sectional and the corner is backed up against 2 walls.
  • 12 years ago
    Add all the above suggestions & a floor lamp next to fp.
  • 12 years ago
    Drapes!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Can you please show us a better photo?
  • 12 years ago
    I like the mirrors. Two problems IMO - the rug should coordinate with the wall and sectional color. It does not appear to tie these two colors together. I don't think I like the end table. Not enough space for it. Something smaller and more contemporary would be better.
  • 12 years ago
    I also agree that the lack of a window covering is a problem.
  • 12 years ago
    I like the mirrors as well but it does not create the illusion that the rooms is bigger. The purpose of mirrors is to help create the illusion that t the room is larger as well as being decorative. Could you move the mirrors to the left wall? Also, this photo does not do justice to the room. Currently the picture makes the room look small. If it is, the couch maybe to large for the room. is there a fireplace in the room? If so, then that should be the main focal point. If that is the case, then remove any furniture that does not belong there or the furniture that makes the room cluttered.
  • 12 years ago
    I would move the mirrors closer together to create one cohesive unit with just a small space between them and center the group of mirrors on the wall. This will help to elongate that side of the room.and give the impression of one long window. Can you post any other pics of the other side of the room? Is that a fireplace to the right?
  • 12 years ago
    My thoughts-everything is once but nothing "speaks" to another. It seems that there needs some liveliness added. Maybe a carpet that incorporates the two main colors, which I think are blue and tan? And/or pillows or a throw that incorporate both colors. Maybe a bit more personality pieces-family photos collaged on the wall where you have the mirror?
  • 12 years ago
    Is that a fireplace that I see on the right edge? I'd like to see some photos of the rest of the space. A basket w/a lid for toys somewhere.

    Actually, the problem I see is so much blue. Maybe it's just the photo quality, but it lacks umph without some contrast. Draperies, definitely floor lamps, a coffee table. See suggestions above. Love the rug. Don't care for the mirrors. Art would be better.

    Point to remember: there is nothing wrong with empty space. Not every corner has to be filled with furniture, and not every wall has to be covered with art. Avoid jamming the furniture against the walls. It does not make the room look bigger. In fact, it makes it appear, psychologically, as if you don't have enough room. Funny how that works.

    Scale is important. That is a lot of sofa for such a small space. You don't need much else. The table in the corner is too small (and pushed too far back to be useful). Don't match stuff - no matching tables, pillows, lamps. Maybe 2 pillows that are alike, but that's all.

    2nd Point to Remember: the idea is to create an intimate seating arrangement that projects a sense of coziness. Imagine you're a guest; what would make you feel welcome? Trust yourself. You know more than you think. Take your time. It doesn't have to happen all at once.
  • 12 years ago
    This room lacks contrast. Everything is the same value. I would have to paint.
  • 12 years ago
    Definitely paint. I'd love to see bright white on the walls, with brightly coloured drapes and cushions like some other readers suggested. The downcast greyish blue is killing me!
Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio