Software
Houzz Logo Print
sunnymer

To glaze or not to glaze?

12 years ago
We are in the process of building. We initially planned on glazing the white cabinets. Now, I'm considering leaving them. The island is stained gray. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Comments (53)

  • 12 years ago
    *We will have a dark hardwood stained floor.
  • 12 years ago
    I like the glaze on the white cabinets. Adds that richness.
  • 12 years ago
    I think you should glaze the white cabinets and the island to highlight all of the moldings that you used. It will add a depth that is missing now.
  • 12 years ago
    OK, el suelo oscuro también realza el mobiliario de la cocina blanca.
    Vuestra cocina es mas clásica que la fotos que os he enviado pero la función del color sería la misma
  • 12 years ago
    A silver glaze. It's to stark the way it is.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would leave it as is, they actually look cream against your backsplash. I am afraid glazing may make them look dirty with the dark hardwoods and the crispness of your moldings and adjacent rooms.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think you need to glaze, everything is too stark white right now. Just make sure whomever is doing it makes you some sample boards so you know what you're getting before you commit.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would soften and warm it up with a glaze.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Is anyone else having trouble reading 'decogara's comment? I'm seeing a Foreign language. Is it my computer?
  • 12 years ago
    Soy de España y la traducción del programa no es buena.
  • 12 years ago
    SIENTO NO PODER ENTENDERNOS BIEN
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    @ decorgara - I think you are saying that your program isn't good to translate?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    You may have a way on the computer to translate it to English. Ask a computer friend you know. I think I saw something that it is possible. Don't be sorry ... It's okay. But I don't speak Spanish. Just guessing here : ) I think you said you have good intentions?
  • 12 years ago
    hola LB interiors siento no poder comunicarnos por tener un programa malo de traducción
  • 12 years ago
    Es el programa de houzz lo mismo pasa al traducir su comentario, pero seguiré intentándolo, muchas gracias.Te invito a conocer mi blog decogara.wordpress.com creo que le gustara.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hi sunnymer -- I think that a light glaze will bring out the details in your cabinetry and decorative millwork, as well as help it to relate back to the tones in your countertops.

    Hola decogara -- Siempre tengo que practica mi Espanol! Fotos ayudamos a hablar sin lingua. Ver si esto funciona para usted, y comenzar un nuevo hilo: http://www.bing.com/translator/?ref=TThis&from=en-US&to=pt-BR
  • 12 years ago
    HI -- I like the pristine white . Glazing seems to make white cabinets look dirty . I think the moldings and details show just fine .And glazing is starting to fall out of favor now . Once you get the flooring in and the hardware on and add your accent décor it will look wonderful. It already looks wonderful to me and your not even finished yet !
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Glaze on the white cabinets will ad texture and richness to the cabinets. It is also much easier to clean the cabinets if the cabinets are glazed.
  • 12 years ago
    Is this something that can be done at a later date?
  • 12 years ago
    Hi All,

    Beautiful Kitchen, regardless of what you decide to do. I just wanted to translate what Decogara was trying to say.

    She is from Spain and I guess there is suppose to be a translation program with houzz, but its not working. Anyway, she wasn't really answering the main question of glazing, but she was just offering her design ideas. She said to keep all the cabinets white and add touches of color to the walls to brighten the kitchen up. By keeping the cabinets white/nuetral, you can paint the walls different colors whenever you want a change, without having to paint the cabinets or get new cabinets.

    Obviously in the USA, it is popular to color the island different than the cabinets. This trend probably hasn't caught on in Spain. Islands aren't common in Spain. Their kitchen design is totally different than the US, more modern and colorful in General (I used to live there). Anyway, looks beautiful, whatever you decide!

    Decogara, gracias por sus comentarios. Los otros no te entendieron, pero yo intente a explicar para ti ok. Aqui en EE UU es muy popular a pintar la isla otro color que los cabinets, especialment gris. Yo tambien, vivi en Espana hace cuatro anos y me encanta los estilos de banos y cocinas, son muy muy muy distinta que EE UU. Mucho mas moderno y colorido. Hay un websitio como Houzz que tiene fotos de cocinas y banos en Espana, sigo buscando un sitio asi, sin exito, puedes ayudarme? Gracias!
  • 12 years ago
    No one can ever tell if glazed cabinets are clean or not...
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree with @gypsyrose17 I wouldnt glaze them
  • 12 years ago
    Ditto - glaze always makes the finish look dirty to me as well. Would rather know if the stuff in the detail is dirt or not & be able to tell when they're clean.
  • 12 years ago
    Do not glaze. I tend to be a neat freak and if glaze makes them look dirty then I wouldn't do it. I prefer the crisp white color with a contrast in the wall color. The stained wooden floors will be a nice contrast and warm up the space.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would not glaze your beautiful cabinets but for reasons other than those listed above. I believe glazing has done it's time. Crisp, clean cabinetry and finishes is much more current (not trendy) in the design world. The quality and details are lovely and do not need to be enhanced.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Glaze - it will add depth and interest.
  • 12 years ago
    I think there is some confusion that all glaze has to be a nutty brown color -- ie the color of dirt. There are a ton of glaze colors that will just highlight the mill work and not look heavy or dirty or antiqued, for instance a silver glaze as noted above. Glaze is a must to bring out the details of your kitchen. It is very well designed and once you add a subtle glaze it will sing.
  • 12 years ago
    Unless your plans are to use a glaze that does not have a yellow undertone (e.g. blue), I vote no glaze. If you're just wanting to add sheen, I think there may be some type of wax that you could use to do that which, in turn, would add a few shadows in interesting places. I agree that what you have now is so pristine that I wouldn't want to risk changing that. Once the hardware is in and everything else is completed and once you add some tidbits of color on the counters, I think you'll be glad you didn't glaze them.
  • 12 years ago
    At this point, I wouldn't add a glaze. Install your flooring as well as the pulls and knobs before you do anything else. You can always add the glaze later if you feel you need it...its a lot harder to re-paint or remove the glaze if you want to go back to just white. Beautiful kitchen!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I love the white cabinets. Not stark at all. I love a white kitchen though and agree with some of the comments that glazing can make it look dirty at times. I would consider adding some layers of glaze to that hood if its painted. To add dimension like in the picture shown below. These kitchens I've attached have similar looks to your kitchen and I absolutely love them. Please post a picture of your finished project!
  • 12 years ago
    I'm not a fan of glazing. I'd keep them as they are.
  • 12 years ago
    Love your countertops. IWhat color granite please???
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I'm just confused as to why you wouldn't have ordered them glazed before they were installed.. If that was your consideration before. Especially a kitchen of that size and stature, to glaze them after install is a little too late of an after thought. The glazing process is a professional application that is then sealed and in new cabinetry that's done as they are built. Not after they are installed.
    If this was a renovation and you were saving existing cabinets but changing the style than sure glaze them. But this kitchen is way past that thought and too expensive to chance with the results.
    To lessen the starkness, if that's the hang-up, consider changing out the reflective white backsplash.
    I personally love it, the colors, the design, the space. Great job. Don't touch it.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Glazing was a fad, and is now out of style. But for the cabinets you have, it is probably a reasonable thing to do, to accent the millwork, etc.
  • 12 years ago
    Gazing goes with your style cabinets. Either repaint softer white/cream or use very light glaze. Glaze can be made in many hues and colors...don't go dark.
  • 12 years ago
    You chose not to glaze when you ordered the cabinets. Was there a reason then? If so, think back to that decision and give yourself permission to stick by it. As many have said, move forward with what you have now and see how it looks when you finish. Your adjoining rooms and island have the mid-tone grey and act as a wonderful foil to the pristine white. Embrace that. It's always easier to add than to take away.
  • 12 years ago
    Your island looks like it is painted, not stained....if the same folks are going to do your glazing...DON"T LET THEM!
  • 12 years ago
    Your kitchen is absolutely GORGEOUS as is! I would never glaze them. I do understand what the majority is saying. I like glazes too -- but this kitchen does NOT need the glazing. It is LOVELY just as it is. It is not always necessary to glaze cabinets just because they are white. Enjoy the simple beauty of these clean white beautiful cabinets. That is my vote anyway.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you for all of the feedback. We have not made a final decision yet. The cabinets were all installed raw, and finished (painted/stained) on site. The island is stained, not painted. It is a stain grade wood, and a custom stain was mixed. The lighting in the picture may not show the grain of the wood, but its definitely there and a gorgeous color. The granite is Sohanna Cream. Thanks for all of the opinions.
  • 12 years ago
    Please post the after and let us know what your final decision was. I for one would love to see it.
  • 12 years ago
    By the way, who crafted the metal hood -- it is magnificent!?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    My vote is not to glaze..... It's a bit passé these days. The white however is quiet elegant and timeless. You can add more pizazz with hardware, lighting, flooring and textured glass in the cabinets.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I like the plain white, but I think glazing, in this case, would be a good idea. The kitchen looks more old-world style and the glaze will help highlight the mouldings and also tie in the copper apron sink and beige of the granite.

    You were originally planning on glazed cabinets and I think your choices so far lead to glazed cabinets.
  • 12 years ago
    I have been looking for those tiles on your backsplash forever. Where are they from. The kitchen is beautiful.
  • 12 years ago
    Lots of good input on glazing. Does anyone have a good idea for a quartz countertop that matches the Van Dyke glaze that's often used? I want a color just like Van Dyke on my counters....Thank you!
  • 12 years ago
    I think the Van Dyke glaze makes everything look dirty rather than aged...too brown. If you're going to glaze use a more cream/vanilla over white, as white white tends to yellow over time, not turn brown...brown is dirt.
  • 7 years ago

    I would not glaze the cabinetry it looks fabulous the way it is

  • 7 years ago

    5 year old thread

  • 7 years ago

    Yes it is 5 years old, and not one of the contibutors is rude or self centered. Shocking.....