Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shanareed4

tell me what you think?

shanareed4
10 years ago
does the new kitchen look ok or do I need something else?

Comments (144)

• Laila Campbell
    9 years ago
    Looks great,add 5 cobalt blue flower pots with bright deep red geraniums for color and repeat that in cookie jars or small appliances or plates.Enjoy !
  • Laila Campbell
    9 years ago
    The geraniums would go on the windowsill.
  • pm2014
    9 years ago
    Nice bright & simple upgrade :)!! Great bones, now accessorize & make it your OWN!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Great new look. Bright and clean!
  • traceyh1958
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't put a microwave above a hotplate.....just a safety thing........otherwise it looks good...
  • Lucaci Loredana
    9 years ago
    Love it! Great job!
  • Kurt Bledsoe
    9 years ago
    It may just be me, but that kitchen is screaming for an island. Maybe the perspective is off, and I cannot see the room size. Looks much better though.
  • suejones
    9 years ago
    Beautiful!
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Fantastic transformation! A couple of words of advice since you asked. I would change some of the knobs - there are too many of the same. Can some of them be changed for one hole pulls instead? Please also consider replacing the microwave - the white is bringing the whole wall down. I see that your stove top is white but even a black microwave would look better against the cabinets (and change the stove top too if possible). And of course, a window treatment to finish the room. Good luck from Montreal!
  • Cheryl Lunetta
    9 years ago
    Luv the cabinet colors, looks like the glazed biscoti I have been eyeing up. I would change out the appliances to stanless steel. The white & the cream seem a little off otherwise it's a beautiful job!!!
  • Robin
    9 years ago
    looks really great! Only suggestion for functionality and form would be plumb in gas and get a stainless range and replace the microwave with a nice stainless hood. With out seeing the rest of the layout of your kitchen, i'm not sure where a microwave can go, but I suspect there is a spot. Switch to stainless on the microwave as well. Also paint your window trim the same shade as the wall or a complimentary color. Those curtains..... eeeesh :( Maybe just do a simple cornice in the same color as the walls. Is the crown molding the same color as the cabinets or lighter? Might be hard to paint to match because of the weathered look on the cabinets, may just want to go the same shade as the painted wall for the crown too. An oil rubbed bronze switch plate cover would tie in nicely with your hardware.
  • Peggianne
    9 years ago
    Really nice. Personally, I would have updated the appliances to stainless. Also a splash of bold colour like cranberry is needed maybe in a valance over the window and in a mat. I too agree that a peninsula or something would fit nicely.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Looks nice, but now you need to add a pop of color, either red, yellow, orange or turquoise. One color to carry through and into adjoining rooms.
  • dreaw80
    9 years ago
    Beautiful, I love white kitchens with glass tile ;)
  • Janis Kennedy
    9 years ago
    Great job! Very impressive DIY --- I would also go with a nice natural roman shade
    So as not to detract from the backsplash and counters. Question: did you hire someone
    To take down original cabinets, backsplash etc and if so how expensive was this?
  • Susan Little
    9 years ago
    Love it, and being short too, I understand the microwave dilemma; my husband is in a wheelchair, and we removed the microwave and had a counter top model; in place is a chimney style fan; an option would be to have a exhaust fan, hidden by the same style cabinetry. My only other suggestion would be to copy the crown molding on top of the cabinets.
  • soto01
    9 years ago
    You did an amazing job! Great eye for decorating!! If you want to add just some finishing touches, I agree with the crown moulding around the top of the cabinetry.....and a nice roman shade and sisal runner on the floor. While I love the pattern you selected on the rug you have now, it just doesn't seem to go with the new decor of the kitchen. Pattern seems more traditional acanthus, while decor seems more transitional/modern. But you did an amazing job of updating that kitchen!! kudos to you!!
  • Linda Canham
    9 years ago
    Beautiful job, looks great!
  • Julie Morrell
    9 years ago
    It's cleaner than the old one, but it's still UGLY. It's so boring!!!
  • watts1943
    9 years ago
    It's really nice except it needs window treatments.
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    9 years ago
    Roman shade can help with light control (if needed), they can also add a bit of softness. Your kitchen looks wonderful, don't let negative people make you second guess your choices!
    I would look into wood surrounds that might work with the brick fireplace (if you want to keep the brick). I would not paint the wood doors or trim in your living room, but it is your home and you are the ones living there!
  • PRO
    Altra Home Decor
    9 years ago
    I think it looks great, but would be a little concerned having cabinets on the counter top right next to the cook top. Seems like a fire hazard and tough to keep clean.
  • fredm51
    9 years ago
    This is a great site for getting ideas. But your backsplash has the color of the counter top and the cabinets matched perfectly. It looks too matchy matchy. Most great kitchens have four areas. the floor, the cabinets, the counter top and the backsplash. They change colors, textures, shades. I just think the backsplash is not right.
    Photo 3 · More Info
  • fredm51
    9 years ago
    One other thing. The crown molding corners are not right. I know it makes doing crown molding easy to do but it makes it look like a DIY project. Also don't put a pattern window cover that is really too much.
  • shars55
    9 years ago
    Wow, Julie.......could you be more rude? It's NOT ugly at all.
  • fredm51
    9 years ago
    This is a great site for ideas, the homeowner went from the 80's to 2014 with this kitchen. Her comment was "does the new kitchen look ok or do I need something else?". She is saying that it is not right yet. This reminds me of a woman with a new hairdo. People will tell her it is great but think it is too long or short or the wrong color. The kitchen is at 95% help her get to 110%.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    fredm51 is right. If simplicity is the goal, then you are fine with the way it isl. I would introduce another color unlike those in the kitchen with a fabric valance at the window to soften. Add a few accessories in colors from the fabric.
    Classic Informality · More Info

Traditional Living Room · More Info
  • Elizabeth Brown
    9 years ago
    Awesome
  • PRO
    Custom Design & Construction
    9 years ago
    Good job!!!
  • PRO
    Cast Glass Images Inc.
    9 years ago
    Great job on this and I like the neutral tones. My only suggestion like many above would be to re-visit the microwave. Otherwise, looks great!
  • PRO
    Talianko Design Group, LLC
    8 years ago

A much-needed change. Fantastic job!

• alwaysdesigning
    8 years ago

Very nice

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

its lovely, I would have mixed the door pulls and draw knobs, for less dots everywhere. other than that. *clapping

• Julie Church
    8 years ago
    It looks great! Bring the yellow in with a vase/ceramic or some lemons and exchange the yellow rug for a brown one. Maybe a cornice board with a brown/beige fabric trimmed in a yellow similar to your living room.
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    8 years ago
    Looks great !
  • Barbara Brown
    8 years ago
    VERY PRETTY.
  • Elizabeth Brown
    8 years ago
    It is gorgeous!
  • Jessica Nelson
    8 years ago
    I didn't read all of the comments to see if this was suggested yet, but I think all of the dark circle shaped knobs is a bit distracting, perhaps consider some different pills or handles for some drawers or cabinets, just to break up the monotony.
  • PRO
    VRA Interiors, LLC
    8 years ago

Nice!

• Trisha Hagen
    8 years ago

I like it! My only suggestion would be a new window that was not white or a shade would do. The window kind of looks out of place just cause of the stark white.

• User
    8 years ago
    Agree, those cabinets sitting on the counter next to the stove are very close. Did this design pass code and inspections?
  • Bryan Lip
    8 years ago
    I'd be inclined to put shutters on the window - http://houzz.com/photos/1375931
  • User
    8 years ago
    This is a year old post.
    Did you do any of the above suggestions?
    The little circle knobs could be changed out for something of a better scale. There are way too many of them to break up the monotony. Try mixing them up, something different for the lowers.
  • PRO
    Design Directives, LLC
    8 years ago

Good job! Your new kitchen is really nice! Love the back splash tile. You could find a light colored fabric for a roman shade that would pull a color from the back splash tile. A roman shade sort of makes its own valance.

• PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    8 years ago

looks great!

• PRO
    By Design Kitchen and Bath Solutions
    8 years ago

Looks great! Crown moulding would finish off the top of your cabinets nicely.

• henrylexi
    8 years ago

Love

• syd01
    8 years ago
    I would definitely recommend stainless steel appliances, the white ones clash with the off white cabinetry.
  • syd01
    8 years ago
    I would also recommend some light colored curtains and pops of color throughout the kitchen
  • PRO
    Limitless Walls
    8 years ago

What a change!