Software
Houzz Logo Print
rachaelchavez

Wall color and bedding advice

12 years ago
Clearly, the spotlight in this room is the exposed brick. Behind my mustard yellow headboard (it was from my previous space that I have yet to repurpose), you can see the Coca Cola logo and above reads the end of "Delicious and Refreshing".

The painted brick wall is absolutely stunning. The other walls in the room are vaulted, white and bare. I can't decide on a color that would compliment and enhance the brick wall. Same goes for the bedding. The other walls are a blank canvas—have fun with you ideas. Thanks!

Comments (11)

  • 12 years ago
    Where is the door in the room? Most secure restful sleep is obtained when the bed is placed opposite the entry door, so you approach the foot of the bed when you enter the room. If that requires moving the bed, I'd do so. Right now, your bed is covering up the main focal feature of your room. Can you post a pic taken from the corner left of the bed looking back at the other two walls so we know the entire layout? Just comment here and use the Attach Images button to upload more pix.
  • 12 years ago
    @decoenthusiaste
    My loft is considered a studio, because there is no door to the bedroom. An 8' hallway is what divides the front space and the bedroom, closet and bathroom. The first photos I took are from that entryway.

    (Excuse my messy bedroom and lack of storage.) The first photo attached to this comment is taken from where you suggested. The door on the right is to the utility closet. The middle door goes to my walk-in closet. To the left of that is the hallway I mentioned earlier, and the door furthest from the right is my bathroom door.

    The second photo was taken in front of the utility closet door and pictures the right corner of the brick wall (and my boyfriend's shoes..)
  • 12 years ago
    Move the bed to the white wall and let the brick wall shine,it is awesome
  • 12 years ago
    This might be a fun way to relax in your room. Comes in colors too. Once you move the bed, we'll see what kind of space you have for this or some other style of chair/lounge.
    Donut Chair - White · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    I'll definitely make time to move my bed back to the white wall, where I placed it when I originally moved in.

    I love the storage idea! Unfortunately, my budget is pretty limited. I do have storage under the bed, and I've also utilized the space above the bathroom ceiling. Your ideas have sparked one of my own—install a wardrobe where I can store those bulky items that I regularly use but don't want to leave out, like the vacuum.

    Living in a studio loft creates a lot of problems for storage, but for this room I'm also looking for a light, subtle wall color that would accent the brick wall. What are your thoughts of a tint of the blue-green toward the top or the retro-sagey green stripe? Gray or ivory?

    Also, any bedding color/texture suggestions?
  • 12 years ago
    I am feeling for blue (real royal blue, not light blue) walls, which I think would complement the wall giving the studio an industrial/pop look. But this would be a very corageous choice and you'd need to balance the rest of the room providings lots of artificial light. The bedding could be a light grey with red and blue accents, and I'd pick up straight simpler valances, since the ones that you have feel too traditional and feminine for the space, in my opinion. I think since the brick wall impact is strong you should keep it simple in terms of patterns, both the bedding and the walls should be a solid color. Sagey green does not resonate with me in the room, as I think it would go "against" the wall style (sagey green=transitional/radical chic in my imagery, I guess), while I'd like to play with the brick wall if I were you. Also, I'd repaint the dresser/tv holder and maybe the desk in white, to contrast the darkness. A less bold choice for wall color would be a light grey. You really found a cool place!!
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks! I agree with what you're saying. A really bold blue would be fun—but yes, extra light would be crucial. And I agree with my pillow choice—they're a mix hand-me-downs from my mom, and that's where they ended up. I really appreciate your suggestions!

    Can't wait to take all of these and make it a reality.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi! I think I would play up the red on the wall by getting an area rug that was red and seeing what you thought then, Here are a few suggestions:

    http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/7/port-area-rug/

    http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/12/ariana-rug-redivory/
  • 12 years ago
    The brick wall is so cool ! It's quite a focal point of your room. I think if you paint the one wall a color then it also becomes an accent wall and something that you do not need in this fabulous space. I think that if you paint that wall then I would paint the rest of the walls so the brick wall remains the unique feature in your home. I would rather see you have fun with color in the way of wall art, accessories, area rugs etc. Whatever you decide it's a very fun space and enjoy living in it.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The brick is great! I suggest painting the walls a darker color that will blend better with the logo. Right now, it appears the logo/brick is one element and the walls another. I think the task at hand would be to make them work together. Darker colored walls