Software
Houzz Logo Print
n3wyawk

What needs to go?

12 years ago
I feel like my design isn't coming together so well. I'm pretty sure something needs to go! The carpet? Curtains? The stools?

Comments (40)

  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I like the rug and I like it with the table and chairs. I am not sure it works with the curtain/drapes, though. Do you have more of that color in adjoining rooms?
  • 12 years ago
    All the adjoining rooms are the same paint color...I'm glad you said the curtains because I just dropped $250 for that rug this afternoon!
  • 12 years ago
    This is the living room which is right next to dining room
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    The rug is fine-drapes do not blend with the colors. Suggest some tabs drapes with grommets. Choose drapes with texture, or similar design or color as rug. Maybe a large mirror on the wall..you could add a sconce on each side of the mirror...The mirror will give the illusion of a larger space.
  • 12 years ago
    So replace the metal art piece with a mirror and sconces?
  • 12 years ago
    Can you move the sheer curtains from the living room into the dining area to see how they would look there?
  • 12 years ago
    Get curtains that are tan
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, I think it's the curtains that should go. I really like the rug...
  • 12 years ago
    also, maybe a table runner and a more substantial centerpiece ..
  • 12 years ago
    Venetian blinds which you can tilt accordingly for light, instead of the dark drapes Preferably in white. Or same curtains as living room curtains .The light is too low over the table. I agree with above idea of a mirror in place of the metallic wall feature as a mirror will give the feeling of space in the dining room.
  • 12 years ago
    Agree with earlier suggestion of a mirror flanked by metalwork candle sconces. Some thoughts:
    Round Capiz Seashell Sunray Wall Mirror, Gold · More Info

    Tuscan 21" Sconce Set · More Info

    Uttermost 20987 Privas Metal Wall Sconces, Set of 2 · More Info

    Limestone Candle Sconce · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    GREAT choice with the rug! It is the perfect size and the color goes well right there.

    I am not a fan of mirrors in a dining room.......this one would not reflect anything special as it would be the opposite room and not a view and many do not like to sit and watch themselves eat or look at the back of heads.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Love the rug! Great price as well. I think if you could soften the curtain color and add a table runner to soften the table and the mirror would be great the setting feels more eclectic i would do hanging candle holders on the side if your not wanting to enlarge the space or you could also do an arrangement of frames depends on the look and feel you gunning for
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    FOR FUN, just to see what something else would look like, will you hang the art that is in the adjoining area on the wall where the scroll work is?
  • 12 years ago
    Is it a deck door behind the curtains in the dining area?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The reason the room isn't working is because its flat, and has no pop. There's also alot of wood going on. The head chairs should be upholstered, not wood. They should be covered in a color that has some vibrancy to it, not dull. The art piece should have some depth and dimension, not flat on the wall. Can't comment on the draperies, color is not the best thing on a computer, but they should start just below the ceiling. I like the grommet suggestion. Chandelier should be 30-32 over table. Is there room for a skinny console under the art? If so, go for it. Will give the room some weight. Good luck!
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, the curtains are covering a sliding glass door that leads to our back patio. Neighbors can see right in, so we bought these on a whim when we first moved in...
  • 12 years ago
    This is a taller table, right? Not sure different chairs will work with this style of table and I also worry that a console will look dwarfed next to it.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Is this a pub table? Looks dining height in the shot.
  • 12 years ago
    Guess I think it is the pub style, as stools were mentioned in the dilemma.
  • 12 years ago
    They're pub height I believe. I think Asian inspired when I look at the stools but my husband says I'm crazy. I'm wondering if I can get slipcovers?
  • 12 years ago
    The drapes aren't the color I would have chosen and right now they just "stand out" and not in a good way! But, I think that if you bring in some accessories in that same color it will help tie things together.
  • 12 years ago
    Saw this 3 panel canvas situation at target today...would it look ok behind the table instead of the metal piece or a mirror?
  • 12 years ago
    Examples of draperies of a similar color tie in to these rooms through accessories. Don't give up yet!
  • 12 years ago
    I like these
  • 12 years ago
    I would change out the metal for a great colorful piece of art. I like chemayne's idea of something textural to blend with your wall color for the curtains. I would like to see some texture in the room. Great rug, good choice.
  • 12 years ago
    Marc Russell Interiors is spot on!!
    To add interest to the room the head chairs should be contrasting to others (preference is upholstered), this is an opportunity to add texture, colour or pattern into the space. I feel maybe the dining table is a little small for the space, but maybe this is the angle of the photo? Don't be scared to use big pieces in a room, they really can make a room more substantial.
    To add a sense of drama to any room, bringing curtains up to the ceiling adds height and grandeur to a space. I noticed that the adjoining sitting room also has curtains. My suggestion is to have the same curtains in both spaces, I like to run ceiling tracks with S track curtains (no pleats), simple and elegant.

    A huge artwork to tie in the curtain and chair fabric on head chairs would unite the space. Find a pattern or colour you like, and repeat this in a subtle way with fabric choices, nothing too matchy-matchy though.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think wall art instead of the metal mirror. Attached below is one that I thought would look good with the color of the carpet. This is available at our store and we offer free shipping. Come check us out.

    Sue
    www.essentialsinside,com


    www.essentialsinside.com · More Info

    Mini Floral Glow Wall Art Set of 4 by Uttermost.

    Available at the essentials inside, www.essentialsinside.com

    This hand painted artwork on canvas features a high gloss finish on the flowers. The canvas has been stretched and framed in a shadow box style frame finished in champagne silver leaf. Due to the handcrafted nature of this artwork, each piece may have subtle differences.

    Fine Points:
    Designer: Grace Feyock
    Dimensions: 22 W X 22 H X 2 D (in)
    Weight: 25 lbs
    Ships UPS or Freight: UPS

    Shipping & Returns:
    FREE ground shipping (continental U.S. only).
    Faster Shipping also available.
    Returns are easy - 30 days, any reason.
  • 12 years ago
    The others have given you great ideas. If it were my room I would change the curtains and the metal art to something more colorful.
  • 12 years ago
    I've updated the room still...here's a pic :)
  • 12 years ago
    *Some not still
  • 12 years ago
    I almost like it. I think it need a bigger wider pendant.
  • 12 years ago
    Looks wonderful! How about a fiddleleaf fig tree in the corner in a colorful pot.
  • 12 years ago
    The light has to go...need more movement (think something with shades for texture), and by all means put it on a dimmer. Ax the iron wall hanging and replace with a big wood-framed mirror to make room look larger. Whatever is sitting in the middle of the table replace it with a bigger item or set of sturdy candlesticks perhaps.
  • 12 years ago
    just saw the updated pic! Well done...still would suggest a bolder pendant if budget allows
  • 12 years ago
    Yea, the "chandelier" came with the lighting package when we built the house last year. We have a much larger one that we took down from the dining room. I'll have hubby change it out soon. I think the plant is a great idea!
  • 12 years ago
    I would recover your seats with a fun fabric that brings color into the room. :) Easy to do.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think something on the table with a nice runner. I attached a suggestion from my store.

    Sue

    www.essentialsinside.com: old world hydrangeas · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Very nice and very smart changes.....I like it! AND I agree that a plant in the corner would be an awesome finishing touch.