Software
Houzz Logo Print
timuquana

Big Kitchen or Add a Mudroom and a Bathroom and Sacrifice Space

12 years ago
We recently purchased a house that has the potential to have a 20x30 foot kitchen. I would love a big island, big refrigerator, and lots of upper cabinets and counter space. However, the house has a pool and a great backyard and only one downstairs bathroom which is all the way in the front foyer of the house. I have 3 children who will have friends over and maybe I will not worry about them racing through the house to use the potty, but I am struggling with the thought of lots of wet feet through the house! By creating a mudroom and a bathroom in the kitchen coming out of the garage, I would solve this problem yet lose so much of my kitchen! My husband thinks it is weird and yucky to have a bathroom in the kitchen and I kind of agree. Awkward! So should I...A - deal with the wet feet and have them go to garage potty which is really gross and have a fabulous kitchen or B - add a bathroom and mudroom and lose lots of space. Help!!! Can't decide and contractors are waiting!

Attached is a floor plan that has been suggested. I just don't love it because I would like to keep the island for seating, sink under window…which would leave only one wall for fridge, cooktop, and double ovens…also leaving no space for upper cabinets. Ahhhh! Please advise. Any and all ideas welcome….

Comments (3)