Software
Houzz Logo Print
jacquelinegill

I have a quadrant flower garden with an hemlock tree edge around.

12 years ago
These trees are 20 years old and some of them are really getting thin and look pretty bad. I like to replace this edge with maybe another type of shrub/tree. I see you have Hick yews in the background in the informal garden in Winnetka, Illinois and it would seem that would better suited and less sucestible to insects. Am I correct and how tall can I get these shrubs? Thank you!
Traditional Landscape · More Info

Comment (1)

  • 12 years ago
    Jacqueline, yes you are correct that Hicks Yews were used as a background hedge in this garden. Hicks Yews are typically sold in the 24" - 42" sizes, but some nurseries sell ones as tall as 72". There are also taller Yew options such as Taxus cuspitata 'Fastigiata', Taxus cuspitata 'Adam's' or Taxus cuspitata 'Capitata Natural' that could be purchased as tall as 7'-8'. These will become trees and a possible alternative to Hemlocks. However, unlike Hemlocks, Yews are not deer resistant. Good luck.
Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio