Software
Houzz Logo Print
tantacatho

Should we paint the oak ceiling in our kitchen? Ceiling height is 8ft.

12 years ago
We renovated our kitchen 3 years ago. We need to replace the floor as it is vinyl now. We would like to put in a wood floor, but the ceiling in the kitchen is a natural color oak, wooden ceiling, installed 25 years ago. The ceiling height in the room is 8 feet. We have been told that we should paint the oak ceiling off white to match the new kitchen cabinets. Should we paint the ceiling? The vinyl floor has to go. Not sure what else to do with the floor. We do not want ceramic.
The new floor that we choose, will also run into the living room, dining room, laundry room and a small bathroom. All together about 1,000 square feet of new flooring.

Comments (49)

  • 12 years ago
    Yes, I would paint the ceiling or perhaps give it a light grey milk wash to tone it down a little.
    Since so many of your areas will be "wet" areas, consider the really good vinyl plank (Pergo is one brand) that they make now. No one will notice & the maint. is so much easier. I put in my guest baths 20 years ago & it's still going strong!
    tantacatho thanked felixgrantham
  • 12 years ago
    Painting that wood will completely change the feel of your home. You have wood on the ceiling, but not on the floor. Someone made a strange choice. I would paint/white wash it myself, but that is just me.

    Someone will surely come along and say that the wood ceiling is precious and good resale value, blah, blah, blah, but I would feel oppressed by that wood.

    Your house will modern and formal up if you paint it. It will have to be sanded which will be a paint. Many hours of pain in the neck, literally, work. But I think everything in your home will feel lighter and more open.
    tantacatho thanked Ramona
  • 12 years ago
    I like the architecture, of that period, its easily brought up to date, and lovely to live in again.
    One idea Instead of painting it, ( awful messy job as Ramona says) is to cover it with false ceiling and paint that.
    That way, you get to have new without spoiling the past.
    If that sounds too expensive, I would get a quote on both , you might be surprised how much someone would charge to properly prep and paint the ceiling....

    What is above your ceiling, is that a skylight?
    tantacatho thanked jessegee
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree, painting the ceiling would help a lot and create the impression of more light in the space.
    tantacatho thanked Coates Design Architecture + Interiors
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    While painting the ceiling white would allow it to feel like there's more light in the space, if you plan on doing the hardwood the same colour, I think it would be something special to keep the ceiling as is.

    The trick is just to keep furniture and everything in the room light enough that the ceiling isn't over-powering.
    tantacatho thanked Ashley Malowaniuk
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I like jessegee's point here, especially the prep work involved in painting this. Since the ceiling is oak the grain is much deeper than most woods and paint on oak never looks quite right. I think you can get that false ceiling in 1/2'' too so you wouldn't notice much of a height change. But if you do go paint talk to a few local pros get some bids and really consider the time and effort you would have to put in to painting it yourselves. The pro route on something like this might be the way to go!
    tantacatho thanked Circle Goods Reclaimed
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I guess I will go against the grain..no pun intended, and say I think the ceiling looks great and it looks to be in good condition. I also agree with someone above about not putting wood in the several wet areas you want to include. So..I suggest keep the ceiling as is and install a 12"x24" porcelain tile in a gray tone like the one to which I have attached a link.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/MS-International-Metro-Charcoal-12-in-x-24-in-Glazed-Porcelain-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-16-sq-ft-case-NMETCHA1224/203673203?N=5yc1vZb97mZ1z118bp
    tantacatho thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    HI --- I would lighten the ceiling wood with a white wash and then add some shallow beams ( 1x4 or 1x6 boards ) across painted like the white trim to breakup the sea of wood . Then put in an engineered wood floor or cork in a medium tone . Think about getting a bigger chandelier (show piece ) and even getting rid of the 3 drop lights and making those recessed L.E.D. pot lights . Too many things hanging down . That would also be a cleaner look for the ceiling. On the brick wall you could add a nice long shallow electric fireplace just under the TV for balance ,and it would also look nice .
    tantacatho thanked lefty47
  • 12 years ago
    Thank for all the comments regarding if we should paint the ceiling. We might just do that. Next problem is what type of floor to put in this area. Since there is a dishwasher, laundry room and bathroom to consider in the area for a new floor, I am afraid to put real wood flooring down, and am thinking about vinyl wood flooring. I Do Not want ceramic tile.
    What to do about the floor? We need 1000 sq feet of new flooring.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I wasn't going to comment on this but have had second thoughts after looking at your pictures more. I love natural wood in a house, and most always against painting what's there. I'm not a interior designer, but in this case it really doesn't look right. At first I thought the picture was upside down. The wood ceiling doesn't fit the kitchen. Cover it up and paint it. Don't just paint the wood.
  • 12 years ago
    Al has a point - goodness knows what's underneath (above?) that wood, so cover it up with drywall, and paint that.
  • 12 years ago
    In an ideal world, of course, you'd be able to peel the wood off the ceiling and use it as flooring....... :)
  • 12 years ago
    What is your reason for not wanting tile? That might help direct the answers. Cold? Hard? Memories of ugly square tiles? Unsteady subfloor that might crack tile?

    Pick the flooring before you pick any wall or ceiling colors. And I, who love natural wood, agree about covering up the ceiling.
  • 12 years ago
    I thought I was looking at an upside down picture! You've got so many rectangles going on. The ceiling looks like it's coated with a varnish or urethane which will limit the type of paint you can use on it.

    What are your fears concerning a wood floor? What is it about ceramic flooring that you dislike? Just trying to understand your preferences--not disagreeing with you.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hello, how about the washed driftwood look. Therefore, you will have your wood look and feel, but a softer and lighter texture. You will feel like your ceiling has been lifted three more feet. It will beautiful with the painted wall and your teal accents.
    Victoria
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    My suggestion would be install Fasade ceiling tiles (glue and nails) that look like patterned tin tiles. Several patterns and finishes available, including paintable. Gives whole new look, less hassle than drywall and can make it a color that fits your kitchen.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Several people have suggested a whitewash or graywash. That would be the direction I would take. Here's what it might look like.
    tantacatho thanked Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
  • 12 years ago
    Seeing the above pic, definitely paint.
  • 12 years ago
    A tile floor would be cold and I am afraid it would crack. We live in a cold climate. Thank you to Kevin for the pictures of the room with a white wash ceiling. That was an eye opener!
  • 12 years ago
    If you want a blah, no contrasting space, follow everyone's encouragement to white wash the wood. IMHO, it looks fantastic natural and rather life giving to the room. More white almost always reminds of me of a hospital ward.
  • 12 years ago
    How about covering ceiling with faux tin ceiling panels? They sell them in sheets in most big box stores! Floor? Go with real wood....
  • 12 years ago
    It looks like that ceiling is heavy and falling onto the floor. PAINT IT WHITE. Kitchen looks great.
  • 12 years ago
    I like natural wood too much; I couldn't see painting that. It adds warmth to the room. I don't like the darkness of the wall color. It makes everything feel blah. I'm not feeling the dark furniture color and window dressing either. Maybe if you paint the walls lighter and add some accent elements that match the color of the ceiling now, you could pull it together. Right now it seems hodge podged together. Everything doesn't have to match, but tie it together. I would still go with the tile floor with veins of the warmer color going through it.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It depends on your taste, yes you could paint it or you could pickle it to lighten/whiten it. Then it will have a much lighter stained look and would be very handsome.
  • 12 years ago
    Another vote for painting the ceiling white or whitewashing it. As everyone stated above, it will open up the space. I like your kitchen remodel and think you did a great job!
  • 12 years ago
    I am going to reiterate whitewashing it or opaque paint. There is no reason to pull it down or put up expensive metal tiles which won't go into living room anyway. You need to make sure that you pick your floor before you make final decisions on the ceiling.

    Would you consider a laminate floor which supposedly withstands water really well and is cost effective? Research them.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes paint the ceiling,and for gods sakes ,please don't install klick flooring like some of these experts" are suggesting.
  • 12 years ago
    Not sure how we would go about whitewashing the ceiling, or who would do it.
    The floor is laminate now.
  • 12 years ago
    You would need to do research. I have seen this done on hgtv, so know it is possible. It is not a small job. It almost certainly needs sanding first. I would consult a professional.

    I thought the floor was linoleum? What sort of laminate has a pattern like that?
  • 12 years ago
    sorry, the floor is vinyl roll and the pattern is maple leaves. The only reason we are removing this floor is that we have throw rugs over where the old kitchen cabinets use to be. I know vinyl is not "Cool" to have in your house, but it has been a very good floor.
    No worries like a tile floor that is cold, cracking, hard on the back and unforgiving to anything that falls on it. No worries like a hardwood floor that scratches, warps when wet, or is picky abut the humidity, and shows every bit of dirt and dust.
    I guess that is why the wood was put on the ceiling in the first place. After 26 years the wood ceiling is still in perfect shape.
  • 12 years ago
    Vinyl floors?,WOW,,is that even available anymore?
  • 12 years ago
    I hope you keep the ceiling as is. please investigate engineered wood floors.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    If you want to preserve the ceiling as it is but change the look of the room for now, you could have stretch ceiling installed. It sits less than an inch below the existing ceiling and has acoustic and thermal insulating properties. We have over 280 colours and several finishes available, and it can be removed later without any effect on the existing ceiling. Please check out our website for more pictures and information: http://www.laqfoil.com/
  • 12 years ago
    Three weeks ago we painted the wood ceiling in our kitchen. It looks very nice and makes the room look brighter and the ceiling seems higher.
  • 12 years ago
    It looks great!
  • 12 years ago
    This wood ceiling needed two coats of primer paint, and two coats of Benjamin Moore Regal Select, Ulti-Matte Finish paint.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    What a difference. The original photos of your post made me feel like the photo was upside down. The painted out ceiling really opens up this space. It adds a modern feel to the home that wasn't there with the exposed oak.
  • 12 years ago
    now we need to pick out a new floor.
  • 12 years ago
    Bleach that oak and fill pores with pumice.
  • 10 years ago

    I love the white-painted wood ceiling. Would you consider a white-painted wood floor or laminate topped with a colorful area rug? The white ceiling makes all the neutral colors "pop," and you still can add some bold colors in accessories.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I'd say absolutely no to paint and yes to stain. As Nicole Curtis would say on Rehab Addict, if the original was painted, paint it. If it was stained, then stain it. Refinish the ceiling in a light stain to preserve the wood character. It's oak, not crap - any crap can be painted but quality hardwood should be treated accordingly.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I think painting the ceiling is a great idea, it will also open up your room making it feel even bigger than it already is.

  • 10 years ago
    She already painted the ceiling white which looks sooo much better!! nicely done. It sounds like you want a forgiving floor but like the look of tile. Armstrong makes a vinyl tile that is groutable. It is softer than tile of course but extremely durable and can be installed with or without grout. When I saw it for the first time I thought it was tile. Here is a link http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/diy-alterna-tile.html.
  • 10 years ago


    Yes we painted the ceiling two years ago and I am very happy we did. We just finished putting a medium brown Preverco Ash hardwood floor in and everything looks great!

  • 10 years ago
    You could install underfloor heating if you are concerned with cold floor tiles. My sister put it in her bathroom and it is so nice!
  • 10 years ago
    Just saw that original post was from 2014 lol
  • 10 years ago

    yup, this has been a very long project, but that is to be expected when you do all the work yourself.

  • 10 years ago

    Wow! You nailed it. the shade of the wood floors is perfect. The space look sap much brighter, yet warmer at the same time! Good job.