Software
Houzz Logo Print
leia_r

Pantry Door Angst!

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
We're having a cookie-cutter type house built by a cookie-cutter type mega-builder and we had about four hours (total) with a "designer" to make all our design choices. I knew the angled pantry door in this floor plan would be a problem from the beginning. First off, the cabinets in the standard kitchen didn't align evenly to the pantry corner so, knowing that would bug me forever (this is an early retirement house) we upgraded to the so-called gourmet kitchen layout. We wanted white cabinets but the cookie-cutter design center offered just one color of Merillat white cabinets: Chiffon. I would have preferred Merillat's other white (Cotton) color but there are no deviations with this builder. If we wanted taupe/grayish walls we had just three choices. We chose Sherwin-Williams Anew Gray. Like an idiot, I didn't think to quiz the "designer" (I refuse to remove those quotation marks) about the trim color so here we are . . . back at the pantry door. I can't do anything about it until we close but I want to be ready to get this resolved within moments (ok, I'm exaggerating - but just a little) within closing. I've never liked corner pantries but everything else about this floor plan worked for us so we went with it. The Pure White (Sherwin Williams) trim along the baseboard of the island doesn't thrill me but I think I can live with it because changing it would mean repainting every piece of trim in the house.

I've downloaded hundreds of pantry door photos from the internet. Luckily, a pantry door seems to be one trim item where you can go off the reservation a bit so my first instinct is to have the current door removed and replaced with a shaker-style door and paint the trim and door the same color as the cabinets. I'm open to any and all ideas! The floor is an espresso-colored 6" wide plank tile and the backsplash will be DalTile Silver Screen (small subway tile). The granite is New Caledonia.

I'm also looking for suggestions on pendants (three) above the island. I'm thinking of something black. Our dining area table is a round Room and Board stainless steel base with glass top and we have six Mid-Century Modern black Bertoia chairs. The living area (not yet carpeted but will have a low shag) will have two sofas (Mid-Century modern look) with a black Noguchi coffee table and other modern pieces. Everything is very open. Thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions, corrections! I'm aggravated with myself for not thinking about the trim color when choosing the cabinets but we were very boxed in with our choices.

Comments (23)

  • 12 years ago
    Here's the backsplash tile. The appliances are KitchenAid stainless steel and the backsplash tile goes up to the cabinet line behind the range hood. I think the cabinets are taking on a more yellow tone due to the lighting coming in. The back wall (not seen) is about 90% glass facing due west. In the design showroom the Merillat Chiffon door definitely looked whiter.
  • 12 years ago
    Since you have some black in your furniture and want pendants with some black, you might consider painting the pantry door black. The rest of your space is light enough to handle it, but it will draw your eye right to it. A friend painted some of her interior doors black and loved the result. She also has white trim throughout her home.
    leia_r thanked njschaefer78
  • 12 years ago
    I suggest two things. The first is to use a different door entirely. The second is to put the fridge there and a standard pantry where the fridge is slated.
    leia_r thanked lucidos
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You can order exact same door from the kitchen manufacturer as you have on the rest of your kitchen and replace your pantry door. If you like you can add few additional doors fake or operable on top of the pantry to break up that space or perhaps a nice decorative piece. You can also get corner molding from your kitchen manufacturer, order a few 4x8 panels( depends on the size of the front area and for above on both sides with one or two pieces of crown molding and wrap that whole pantry to give the same cabinet finish. It is very easy to do and it can be done in a few hours and your will have a flawless cabinet design.
    Here to give you an idea (please disregard the wall colors, etc)
    leia_r thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • leia_r thanked lucidos
  • 12 years ago
    How about an entirely different pantry door style? One with some black in it.
    Kitchen · More Info
    leia_r thanked pcmom1
  • 12 years ago
    Just a suggestion from a non designer houzzer. Check out Reliabilt French Doors at Lowes. You can get just one door, can be pre hung but you really only need the door. Anyway, try one with decorative glass, they have many different glass styles, even one with "pantry" in etched glass, but I prefer the magnolia or rain which are patterns in glass rather than just etched. Cost about $250-275 for ore hung, cheaper for just the slab.
    leia_r thanked valtex
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    My stepson and his wife had same shaped corner pantry and it worked well. But yours is in an awkward position between fridge and wall oven. Doubt seriously if a fridge would fit in pantry location, mainly because of depth.
    leia_r thanked Hal Braswell Consulting
  • 12 years ago
    Here is the "Rain" I used on my bathroom door.
    leia_r thanked valtex
  • 12 years ago
    Here is the "Rain" I used on my bathroom door.
    leia_r thanked valtex
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    What do you think of a magnetic recessed panel chalkboard door (single or double panel) to hang a calendar and post notes or menus on? For a more formal effect, you might consider hanging artwork mounted into the upper recessed panel or featuring an interesting translucent inset door panel. 3 form http://www.3-form.com/materials/varia_ecoresin/ makes interesting contemporary ones. Hope this helps.
    leia_r thanked SoYoung Mack Design, Assoc. AIA
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    forgot this photo
    leia_r thanked SoYoung Mack Design, Assoc. AIA
  • 12 years ago
    If you paint the door the same color as the cabinets it won't be so noticeable. If you're not happy about the trim color, you should let them know the "designers" failure to communicate. That's what you're paying for in a sense. They will just want to close the deal so you may have some bargaining power. Suggest you stay away from any glass in the door as you can still see in it if it's privacy glass.
    leia_r thanked laurakdesigns
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I like the idea of a door with the rain glass insert. There is no reason you can't do the island differently from the rest of the kitchen. Painting the base trim a different color wouldn't require you to repaint the other trim. Personally, I think this kitchen needs some pizazz and the easy way to do it is to dress up that island. Take a vibe from your Noguchi table or find a pair of exquisite bar stools in a lively mid century color. You might consider vintage stainless or enamel hanging lights - the ones that look like rockets for a mid century look; there are a lot of vintage stores focusing on mid century modern at this time.
    leia_r thanked Green Designs
  • 12 years ago
    This is a nice combination. Paint same color as cabinets and frosted glass.
    leia_r thanked Beverly Ward
  • 12 years ago
    I like the idea of a glass panel door like valtex shows except with frosted glass. The blackboard is a cool idea but personally I would probably keep it erased all the time after the novelty wore off.
    leia_r thanked User
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I had a similar dilema, I would paint it the same color as the walls,then get a large metal print to cover the panels....
    leia_r thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • 9 years ago

    Hi there! I know this is from a very long time ago, but I'm having a similar issue and would love to know what you ended up doing here.

  • 9 years ago

    Hi! We ended up taking one of the smallest drawers to the paint store and had them match the color of the cabinets. I'm satisfied with how it turned out; however, I probably should have chosen a different paint type because the area around the door handle sometimes gets dirty and the paint rubs away. A couple of weeks ago I sanded all around that area and then ended up repainting the entire door (my husband gets out of the way when I do any paint touchups because he knows it's never just a touch up and he jokes that one of these days I'll put a coat of paint on him). I just took a photo and although it doesn't look like an exact match in the photo (perhaps because of the way the light reflects off the surface of the somewhat textured door versus the smoother cabinets) it's close enough for me and has calmed my OCD dislike of the door vs. cabinet problem.

  • 9 years ago
    Your kitchen turned out beautifully and I love your pendants too. I was aghast when I saw your older posts with the new floors unprotected. I hope they were cleaned well before your closing. That is a pet peeve with me that workmen do not properly cover floors in brand new home.
  • 9 years ago
    That looks great!! Thank you!
  • 8 years ago

    I just came across your dilemma thread. I am purchasing a new construction house and I would like to make changes to the floor plan to end up with a similar kitchen design. Do you mind sharing your kitchen plans? I am mainly interested in the dimensions. I don't mind sharing my layout with you as well. I can send you my email address if you'd prefer. Thank you.