Software
Houzz Logo Print
trnorman

Foyer help

12 years ago
My foyer is so blah... Any ideas? It's really small. The room that you see is my living room and all the doors are my garage, guest bathroom and closet.
Thanks

Comments (44)

  • 12 years ago
    Have you thought about a small round mirror and floating shelf under it? Or perhaps some pictures that will add some color to the space.
  • 12 years ago
    Where would I put the mirror and shelves?
  • 12 years ago
    The wider wall that is the furthest from the door.
  • 12 years ago
    sorry, the FRONT door!
  • 12 years ago
    It may help to paint these bits of walls white so they include the doors more and stop them being a feature x love the flooring.
  • 12 years ago
    I wonder if you change up the doors some if it will help. Think about painting those two small doors that are opposite the front doors in glossy black. What doors are they?

    The one that faces the stairs, is it to the garage? Maybe change that to a rain glass door.
  • 12 years ago
    Maybe add mirrors with grids to the door opposite the front door to mimic french doors:
    Gothic in Toronto, Canada · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Make those two doors look like one:
    Sliding Barn Doors with Rain Glass · More Info

    Front Entry with Black Doors · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Not sure if I would like the door black, maybe too black. Yes the door off to the side is the garage door. The two opposite the front door are the closet and restroom.
  • 12 years ago
    PC mom I don't think that would work one is the restroom and the other is a messy closet. I don't want them to be see through.
  • 12 years ago
    Understand.

    I see a wall with wide stripes. Wonder if you could paint those three doors and walls in entry with similar stripes.

    What is your light fixture like?
  • 12 years ago
    Change the doors out for raised panel doors like the entrance door.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes we thought about panel doors. That maybe our only option. Any other ideas?
  • 12 years ago
    The tile floor is pretty but you could add interest by using a larger rug with a pattern.
  • 12 years ago
    Ok I like that a rug and panel doors, that should make a big difference. Anything else? Any suggestions on rugs?
  • 12 years ago
    a round rug to break up all of the straight lines from the doors. Also, try a bold color.
  • 12 years ago
    You might also try just painting the front door black so there is more contrast to the other doors.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Bonnie I will head out tomorrow after work to look for a rug. I'm hoping that will add some sort of wow.
  • 12 years ago
    I think updating the doorknobs would add some character and perhaps some shabby chic or french signs hanging from each door indicating what it is. Try Etsy!
  • 12 years ago
    Your very welcome! How do you feel about Red?
  • 12 years ago
    Get some trim and do panels inside the doors for interest and then paint them the same colour as the walls. Put a bench and mirror beside the stair add a low pile carpet with texture and colour
  • 12 years ago
    I don't know how to add pictures :) but you know like one from PB with a neutral trellis pattern or pick up a color from the other room. My only other thoughts are perhaps a small bit of chair rail? What color is the door exterior? Would it work to use that color on the interior of the door as well. Like I'm picturing black. But just that door and not the frame or side lights.
  • 12 years ago
    Chance there is not enough space for a bench and I don't want it to look too crowded by the stairs. I do like the idea of the panels painted.
  • 12 years ago
    The exterior is a tan same as the outside of the house.
  • 12 years ago
    What do you have for a light fixture in the hallway? Could you hang an interesting pendant or chandelier?
  • 12 years ago
    This looks darker in the picture, just paint it all out , there's to much doors, a nice exspresso for your front door in high gloss.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes just make sure it not to small, make it your focal point
  • 12 years ago
    Ok with all the ideas I think I will add a round rug, panel doors, a new light fixture and new door knobs. I don't think I like the idea of a black door. I will be sure to show updates when I'm done. Thanks everyone for all the ideas
  • 12 years ago
    Brown door or a colour , blue shade very big this year
  • 12 years ago
    Sounds like a good plan, just a tip... With all those doors in a small space measure carefully for the light fixture for the ones that swing in!
  • 12 years ago
    I think painting the front door something other than white could be nice, and make it feel special. I like the idea of sign, but I would put them on the door, not hanging from the doorknob. I have an oddly placed bathroom with a small sign that says "The Loo" in fancy script I got at a craft show. WC is another option, or if you are really into the shabby chic thing, a slate or blackboard.

    I just checked and toilet is toilet in most languages! Could be interesting to decopage them with the words Garage, Toilet and Closet translated in different languages on each door, or handwrite if you are talented--can use the sewing transfer paper to trace the more difficult languages. They are just cheapie slab doors, and that could be really cool, and inexpensive.
  • 12 years ago
    yes, the signs should hang from the door and NOT the knob. Salle de bain is french for bathroom. A nice oval enameled frame with a chalkboard painted inside area to write what you want.
  • 12 years ago
    Unless there is a bathtub or shower in there, salle de bain isn't the right term in French. WC (short for Water Closet, but nobody says that anymore, not even the English) or toilet is. Americans don't like the word "toilet" but that is what it is called just about everywhere else, not a powder room or bathroom or anything else, and Europeans aren't embarrassed to call it that. I guess washroom is the Canadian term.
  • 12 years ago
    It's about the decorating so we should not get caught up in the terminology. The signs would help people walk into the bathroom, not the garage or closet.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Ladies, I don't care for the sign idea, (:
  • 12 years ago
    You could have a picture on it or paint it a different color or something so you can tell people which door goes to the powder room. If the front door was a different color, you could tell people to use the middle white door, but it would be easier for kids and such to say go to the red door or the door with a flower on it, or whatever. Maybe a removable decal would work.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    my product works great as a foyer pieces, simple, and elegant. Perhaps a 2 foot by 8 foot with cascading LEDs. This photo is a little larger, but you get the idea.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Maybe a plant or some type of art work?
  • 12 years ago
    360 Desing, are you looking at the pictures above???? What you are selling will NOT work. K&N thanks for the reply, I don't think the space is large enough for artwork.
  • 12 years ago
    I think based on your photos that you have good taste and you will find just the right accessories!
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Bonnie2727, Sally never thought of that thanks. the doors being gray may look really nice.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    i agree with Sally paint the doors a nice luxurious eggshell finish that matches the walls perfectly to make them disappear , i can see some railings and what looks like beige/cream carpet , I would either get the same carpet for the floor (the tile is to dark) this will brighten and extend the room , or you could try same shade in a different texture , you could also try changing the white trim to the same shade as the carpet this will give the room a very sophisticated modern look which would compliment the look of the room with the dinning chairs we can see. Door handles and light fixtures would complete it. you can get the perfect match on colour shades using our app mopacha best of luck post pics :)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I love your color choices..I would recommend the same color family you used much half tone...so same family but much lighter...I would also paint your doors the same color..I see no need to have your doors stand out. Leave only front door and side lights the white..