Software
Houzz Logo Print
makaloco

Kitchen window pain ;-)

12 years ago
I'm moving my kitchen to a room that was designed (badly) to be a bedroom. For plumbing and drainage reasons, the sink and stove must be on the front wall, most of which is taken up by an old iron casement window with built-in security bars. The wall is about 11-1/2 feet, and the window is about 6'7" wide by 4'2" tall, leaving 30" or so on each side (I'm translating from metric, so please excuse imprecision). It has sun-filter glass and an interior retractable screen, both of which were costly. The bottom is about 33-1/2" off the floor. Counter tops will be about 37".

Possibilities:

1. Replace the window. I really can't afford it. Ready-made either isn't available in a workable size or would clash with the other windows on the front side of the house. And yes, I really need security bars.

2. Run the counter across the window and ignore that it's nearly 4" higher. I've seen photos on Houzz that do that and look fine. Exterior view doesn't matter much because my car is nearly always blocking the lower part of the window. But I don't know how to make it work with the retractable screen, which I need because the window will be open 99% of the time. I've found no other screen configuration compatible with the casement windows. Also, there seems to be no visually appealing way to put a backsplash in front of the window, so I envision water (or worse) dripping down behind the cabinets and creating a luxury cockroach and termite resort. Shudder.

3. Remove the top section of the window (with the vents), move the remaining part to the top of the opening, and brick in the lower part. That would make the bottom of the window 35 cm higher (about 14") and about 10" above the counter, allowing for a backsplash. I'd still have the bars and screen.

I'm pretty much decided on #3, but does anyone have a suggestion I haven't thought of? Blocking the window off entirely is NOT an option. Note that these are old construction photos, not what the room looks like now. The room with the pile of sand will be the new kitchen. The other is the master bedroom window from outside, but it's identical to the one in question.