Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser603

Help with this floor!

Besides destroying this floor, what would you suggest??
Thinking of painting the surrounding walls charcoal colour.
House is 48 years old, supposedly that's multi-colour slate...
Help.

Comments (58)

• bbkieffer
    10 years ago
    The busy pattern makes me want to see blocks of solid color. I think a large charcoal or yellow rug would be nice. A lighter gray on the walls. Charcoal sounds too dark for the walls...
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    Margo - if Christian Lacroix can do it it is possible! Depends on your flair and your daring!
  • User
    10 years ago
    IF the floor must stay, I would paint neutral, get a solid color rug, and find a great light fixture so the eyes look UP.
  • User
    10 years ago
    OH MY!!! I am docile;)))
  • traceytrix
    10 years ago
    Sorry - but get rid of that floor!
  • PRO
    LM Interior Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    If you plan to keep that amazing & unique floor, I would pick up on an existing color in the pattern that you find most pleasing & compliment this floor with a corresponding wall color.
    A warm gray or buttery yellow jumps to my mind when I look at the existing color mix.
    Best of luck!
    ~LM
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Like many are suggesting, I envision calming solids along with your choice of art that would make sense of the colors. (ASV is that wallpaper or tile?)
    https://www.etsy.com/search/handmade/art?q=gray+ochre&order=most_relevant&ship_to=US
    Cursor over picture for wide view.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    Sorry guys, I am going against the grain on this one I know. But sometimes some daring - particularly in an entrance can be fun for a wow factor. And I like to offer something different (that I also believe would work) even though I realize it may be a long shot! @Barnhart - this is a tile but it is easy enough to print a wallpaper out of it! ;-)
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    10 years ago
    Pick a gray cream or brown out of the flooring and paint the walls that color. Replace the multicolor rug with something that doesn't fight with the flooring (perhaps gray).
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Well I love the idea, ASV; when a floor feature is that dynamic, I think equally strong surroundings can help absorb it, and allow the focus to be higher, again. If not pattern,then consider dark walls - notice just above how much more exaggerated the floor is against lighter walls. A stronger wall can be had with tone-on tone stenciling, or venetian plaster (both are being shown in the photo).
    [houzz=
    Modern Masters | The Alternative to Ordinary · More Info
    ]
  • User
    10 years ago
    The door must be changed to plain if the floor stays. The whole area should be modern. Otherwise change the floor.
  • bgfuqua
    10 years ago
    the floor is great! pick a color from it for the solid color walls - but not too dark. rug also needs to be solid. perhaps a wood box or flat basket for items that seem to get dumped there.
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Suggest Pratt & Lambert Armory or BM Hearthstone
  • rredpenn
    10 years ago
    A wider shot might help. How much of your floor is this crazy quilt pattern? A few more photos would help the photoshoppers and decorators here help you get a fix. I kind of like it btw! :)
  • PRO
    Accent Lighting, Inc.
    10 years ago
    The floor is great! Working around things like this can be a fun and satisfying challenge. A charcoal gray would look great on the walls along with some artwork and a solid reddish color rug on the floor, but Margo is right. Get a great light fixture to draw the eyes upward. There are many fixtures available that would provide the right amount of WOW for that space. Good luck designing!
  • Janie Burton
    10 years ago
    Your walls appear almost pink in the photo. I would repaint the walls a black bean - Sherwin Williams has a shade that is a rich deep brown that would be a nice backdrop for the colorful slate floor. Don't be afraid of creating drama in your decor! I feel that the pattern on the floor calls for vibrancy. I don't think you can really play it down with muted walls, so play it up! Or you could have it removed, if you just can't live with it.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    It's FANTASTIC!!! Is that a type of mosaic tile or Terrazzo? What part of the country do you live and how old is the house? Terrazzo costs a fortune these days, particularly seeing a come back in mid century modern and Florida. I like the ochre paint colour. Deep brick red accents.
  • jagn
    10 years ago
    I too love the floor, it's like a piece on art.

There is only one color I would paint the walls - WHITE. You want to play up that floor, and the contrast that white walls brings would do that.

Change your ceiling mount light fixture (I am guessing you have one) to one with a black or deep bronze finish (no curliques, no venetian or faux Italian looking lights, something clean and transitional like Troy Morgan http://www.troy-lighting.com/contents/viewItem.asp?idProduct=697&idCategory=56. I happen to have this in my foyer, it's a great light fixture) to balance out the black in the floor. Get rid of the soft window panels on the sidelights. If you need/want something there for privacy, go with something more modern to echo the art gallery look the white walls give you, like frosted window film or wide slat wood blinds - though I prefer window film since it's a small space.

Good luck, and don't get rid of that floor :)
  • victorianbungalowranch
    10 years ago
    I agree the floor is a keeper and should be the dominant element in the entry. Treat it like a rug/work of art for your floor! Unfortunately, the existing front door and wall color doesn't enhance it. Please post more pictures of the entry, including the door and light fixture, and the front of the house, for better design feedback.

It does bring to mind the abstract expressionists (Jackson Poillock, etc) of the 1950-60s, and being from 1966, you are getting into the experimental/modernist era with really wild sculptural furniture, ethnic influences, funky geometrics, chrome accents, and the last of the classic mid-century modern. Not all at once of course. But this space could look very striking with simple lines and a few striking accent pieces, like a cool bench or light fixture, or a piece of art.

The colors are very earthy and also bring to mind Native American traditional art of the Southwest.

River Respite · More Info

Mid-century style entry · More Info

Los Altos Mid Century Modern Home · More Info

Leschi Remodel · More Info

Garage Apartment Renovation · More Info

Room of the Day: World's Most Flexible Foyer · More Info
  • PRO
    VIVIR Design!
    10 years ago
    Lisa, I feel your pain. My home had a tile floor similar and I did something REALLY drastic! I PAINTED IT!
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    Premier, WHO is the cutie in the FP?
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    How much of the floor is like this? Is it limited to entryway? What other flooring abuts it?
  • PRO
    Luminoso Design
    10 years ago
    I agree with painting the walls a warm grey or other neutral color picked from the floor, cover part of it with a plain no pattern rug, and for Lighting to draw the eye upwards, check out our site www.luminosodesign.com. We drop ship worldwide.
  • PRO
    Luminoso Design
    10 years ago
    or you could paint it out as per Premier's suggestion above.
  • PRO
    VIVIR Design!
    10 years ago
    The Cutie is my dog Navarre haha. The tile is in the entry way and it butts up to hard wood. I did this project in my own home 4 years ago and we haven't had to touch up or anything. It's very important to kill the tile and grout, then prime with Cement primer and paint with cement paint. We took our time and it came out beautifully and it cost a lot less than replacing the tile.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    I adore, ADORE, I TELL YOU, painted floors

BUT NOT THIS ONE!!!!!
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 years ago
    I would place a large entry rug in the space, large enough to make the existing tile subordinate to the dominant rug. Select a rug that the tile will compliment.
  • Marie-Josée
    10 years ago
    I would go with victorian's suggestion towards mid century-ish (the first picture). I think that more pattern would make it way worse and look more like something out of the 80's. I would also paint the front door or change it.
  • kathleen MK
    10 years ago
    Some of those interlocking carpet squares cut to be "wall to Wall"
  • PRO
    LJS Design Inc
    10 years ago
    I love it Paint the walls grey and the front door Yellow .... super cool!
  • jessegee
    10 years ago
    I'm in a similar dillema, but I say Work with it, it would look gorgeous with the grey colours and yellow etc, like Barnhart and laura suggest.
    A great light, dark metal chandy or lantern.
    Don't clutter it, let it sing.
    You can always cover it next year!

jesse x
  • J Petempich
    10 years ago
    This kind of thing is done in Mexico quite often because nothing is wasted, not even broken tiles. I really like the look but the room needs to be painted with a color in the tile. I agree grey would look best. I think anything rustic would look good with this.
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 years ago
    "let it sing"

Now THAT is good advice.
  • iso13
    10 years ago
    Sorry. It's got to go. Hardwood floors make for better resale and comfort.
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    I like a gray wall, too. The gray Kevin S. mocked up or either of dc's suggestions are nice. Take a color out of the tile and get a solid rug. DON'T PAINT THAT FLOOR! I'm in love with it! :)
  • grobby
    10 years ago
    I would remove the floor. If you love it, save a piece for memories. It's too busy, and I can see your guests never making it past the entrance because this tile will stop them "dead" in their tracts and the conversation will never move past the foyer.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Oh come on! That's a bit...uncalled for..harsh.
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    bsellers is right! That is harsh and uncalled for. And, there's no need to worry about resale value now! Wait until you get ready to sell before you change it. Who's to say what will be buyer's first choice in flooring then?
  • Monica Herdrich
    10 years ago
    Keep that floor, it is awesome! If you hate it, get rid of it. But try to paint the walls first or use a throw rug etc. very unique.
  • Lisa Goldstein-Savelson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone, great ideas that I can work with.
    The floor is staying, as hubby loves it.
    Can't post more photos, as I only get possession of the home in a few weeks.

Leaning toward white or grey walls...
    I'll post after photos soon!!
  • rredpenn
    10 years ago
    Where is the OP? I want to see what she will do with it! :)
  • rredpenn
    10 years ago
    HAHA sorry Lisa. Maybe we are on some cosmic wavelength! GOOD that you will update. I am rooting for the paint on walls/door to compliment it. Good luck with the moving! :)
  • houssaon
    10 years ago
    I would go with supper dark gray for the walls. If this is in the entry, it must be a very interesting home. I love it!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Make it a 'rug'. Depending on the surrounding floor height changes, perhaps some carpet runners around the perimeter to make this tile area smaller, and less obtuse, yet still a feature. Please consider letting everyone know your decision. Best of luck.
  • wallizgrl
    10 years ago
    I LOVE it!! I would go with a cream wall or grey. and a solid rug. What about grey walls and a yellowish rug?
  • hulagal4god
    10 years ago
    If you're on a tight budget; paint the walls a in gray or tan (light and neutral color) that matches the hue of the tiles and the crown molding on the floor white, a white door and no rug to make the floor an entryway statement and install a beautiful chandelier or the appropriate period the home was built so people look up to the beautiful light fixture instead of the floor. If you hate the floor install a wood floor over it and find someone to help you do it.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    If you ever do feel daring - here is a link for some great artisanal tiles that I came across today... https://www.houzz.com/discussions/need-help-for-yuour-kitchen-dsvw-vd~936856
  • Eliza Osenbaugh-Stewart
    10 years ago
    I would consider tile paint. If you want to keep as is then a large solid color rug in one of the existing colos could help, and do repeat one of the stronger colors on the walls to tie in - the yellow or the red.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    I would cover 80% of it with a solid rug. Get a great light fixture.
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    Am I seeing stairs on the left side of your picture? If so I think you need to consider how close the rug can be to the riser. You don't want anyone tripping on the edge of the rug. Also you don't want it curling up if everyone catches the edge as they step off of the tread onto the floor, and you have the floor vent to consider too. I LOVE Barnhart's mock-up of the calming solids. Use a "greige" wall color, the darker warm beige rug and lighter warm beige paint for the door. Pull the colors from the tile. It will look wonderful. Do Not Paint Or Tear Out That Tile! If you want to change out the ceiling light, keep it simple. A flush or semi-flush drum shade. Get some newspaper and make a template or use a sheet and fold it until the size looks balanced for the rug. It's going to look great! :)