Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1806966

Should we change the slate backsplash and put a lighter backsplash?

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
We redid our kitchen and changed the island to a breakfast bar. We decided to go with a different stone on the island/breakfast bar than on the perimeter. The stone on the island/breakfast bar is sea pearl quartzite and the stone on the perimeter is verde butterfly. I think they work well together but need to change the backsplash to lighten the area up. The slate seems too dark, now. Here are before and after pictures. Please help me choose a backsplash or tell if you think I should leave the slate.
After painting and changing the countertop
Before painting the kitchen
close up the the new sea pearl quartzite countertop
new breakfast bar with sea pearl quartzite countertop

Comments (18)

  • 12 years ago
    I really like what you have right now. I think the contrast looks great! If you go too light it might look cold. The color you have warms it up.
    User thanked pammareid
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks! It's just such a big change from all the dark. Maybe I just need time to get used to the contrast..
  • 12 years ago
    I think that your new kitchen looks beautiful! I have to admit that I'm a little on the fence about the current splashback also, but maybe you should live with it for a few weeks and see if it still "bugs" you... If it does there are warm pale tones which could work. Looking at the color of your walls, especially in the last photo, I don't think that it would make the kitchen look too cold if you replaced the current splashback with something along those lines. Best of luck with whatever you decide. :)
    User thanked ppbean
  • 12 years ago
    My heart belongs to subway tile;) But your picture looks nice as is.
    User thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    If you change the backsplash tile, I would choose something very simple in the tones of your quartzite countertop. That would both lighten the kitchen and create a coherent effect.
    User thanked feeny
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Thanks for your helpful comments. Yes, I think I would choose a grayish-blue subway ceramic or glass tile and keep it very simple. I think this would carry the colors found in the sea pearl quartzite on the island to the backsplash... similar to the backsplash in the picture below.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I think that would be lighter and prettier than what you have, but there is nothing wrong with the slate. It just creates a strikingly dark effect against the newly painted white cabinetry.
    User thanked feeny
  • 12 years ago
    We finally changed out the slate and installed a simple glass subway tile in gray. We left the verde butterfly granite around the perimeter, and we have the sea pearl quartzite counter on the island. At this point we have contrasting countertops, but I'm not sure if it works. Should we invest in another slab of sea pearl to finish out the kitchen or does this work?
  • 12 years ago
    Finally done! I think.......
  • 12 years ago
    I agree ... Keep what you have now.
    User thanked Kathy Murray
  • 12 years ago
    The new backsplash looks lovely!
    User thanked Eileen
  • 9 years ago

    Keep as is in my opinion. Looks beautiful!

    User thanked Lorraine Ortiz
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks so much, rainieortiz.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I'm a big fan of bright kitchens, but agree with ppbean. Try living with it for a bit to see if you get used to it, you can always update to white subway tile in a month.

    User thanked Gerety Building and Restoration
  • 9 years ago

    This is an old thread. Since that time, the backsplash has been changed. Thanks for your feedback, though.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You did right! It looks very nice now!

    User thanked KT tile
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks, KT tile!