Software
Houzz Logo Print
mariettaflood

Master Bedroom Paint/Tray Ceiling

12 years ago
Full makeover of my master. I want a soothing retreat space for me and hubby. I'm close to settling on a gray for walls, neither are shown in this pic (Benj Moore Stonington Gray, Baltic Gray are two contenders). I'm ok with a slight blue undertone. Trim will be Benj Moore Super White. My question is what to do with the ceiling including the double tray? Same white as trim, same gray as walls, interior of tray gray but rest white, or perhaps a totally different color? Help please!!! Oh, and new carpet going in tomorrow that is Mohawk Flint Rock color (darker gray than walls will be)

Comments (11)

  • 12 years ago
    3 different treatments to ceiling trays to mull over.
    Ness · More Info

    SO/DA Inc. · More Info

    Lake Cliff · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you so much Chemayne. I love these pictures. What I'd really like to do is choose a different color than the walls for the ceiling but I don't know what it would be. Carpet went in today and with my lighting it looks more greige than gray. Still would like gray on the walls and super white for trim but may need to move more towards a greige. Any thoughts on a different ceiling color? Especially since furniture is brown...
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    i would prefer white for ceiling,
  • 12 years ago
    Hi there...

    What do you think silver? I like the grey/silver combination.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Here's one with a gradual colour play from light to dark from wall to ceiling. Darkening any part of the ceiling draws your eyes to it instantly. Personally I like the Lake Cliff example because of its classy play of paint and ceiling trim.
    Bed Rooms · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    I like gray for walls. Use one of the blues you show for ceiling doing dark on top and a metallic silver look on tray.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I have a few more questions. The carpet went in - love it. The pic where it looks darker is more true to life vs the lighter one. It's a little grayer in person but still has a browner feel than I had thought it would. Family and a friend are saying I should pick more of a greige wall color to better match the carpet, but I really had my heart set on a true gray. The two I like most so far are SW Mindful Gray and BM Baltic Gray. Is this ok to put a gray with this grayish (more brown) carpet? Also notice in the bathroom pic, I have travertine tile but had planned to extend the bedroom color into the bath. I'm so nervous about making this paint color decision! Though it may not show here, my style is somewhere between transitional and rustic :-) I love neutrals and nothing modern or contemporary.

    Thank you all in advance - I am new to Houzz and it is so fun hearing opinions! (Especially since so far my hubby doesn't seem to have one!)
  • 12 years ago
    Oh, and I will be changing the bedding, drapes, and recovering a club chair. It's a good size room and I have never fully utilized the space by the French doors that open to a balcony. Any color suggestions are much appreciated. I'm going for a very soothing, comfortable space.
  • 12 years ago
    I am in the same process and have chosen the Benjamin Moore grey pain for walls though am wondering about vaulted ceiling as well as rug color ...also versus wood

    I did though change curtains and bedding....to burgundy!

    May not sound restful but I am thoroughly enjoying the change...balances grey and silver

    I have many windows and the ceiling to floor sheer burgundy curtains, just at edges, opens the room and just gives a great feeling

    There is an alcove by bay windows and I have two tapestry rockers with colors complimentary to the color scheme. A nice round table is between the rockers and we often have tea in the morning with sun coming in window or something extra at night

    I may replace headboard with a very large painting which soothes yet compliments

    So gray, burgundy, silver are my main colors. I replaced furniture hardware with some lovely antique looking yet sleek, if that idea goes together, and what a difference

    The ceiling fan has a great crystal light added which can be dimmed as needed

    I have found the burgundy not to be too powerful when balanced
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I am not a lover of gray. With that being said I just painted my master bedroom and sitting room. The walls in the master are bennington gray. The ceiling is tray so the first ceiling is painted elephant tusk and the sloped part and main ceiling are painted galveston gray. The sitting room is just one shade lighter ozark shadows.

    If you really want your ceiling to stand out you should definitely chose a different color than the wall and not white. It is amazing how much bigger the bedroom feels now that the ceiling is painted the dark gray color. It's almost like you didn't really notice the fancy tray ceiling until it was painted.

    Also I would chose a different color for the bathroom. I think with the carpet and the walls in the bedroom it would be too much of the same to continue it in there. There are so many paint colors I think you will easily be able to find something to suit your needs.

    I know it is exhausting picking paint colors. We just had the whole house painted and it was horrible picking all the colors out.