Software
Houzz Logo Print
n3wyawk

It needs something...

12 years ago
Snagged this hand painted entry way piece today at a local consignment shop. Love it. It needs something though...a lamp maybe? Thanks!!

Comments (30)

  • 12 years ago
    the collection of pictures are too small, Get one piece of art about 1/4 smaller than the width of the piece, Get a showy lamp, not too tall, hang the art work about 4"-6" from the top of the new chest and add a shiny bowl or something round next to the lamp. Pretty new chest transformed.
  • 12 years ago
    maybe if you painted the top a darker color to match the frames, it would tie them all together. Yes a lamp would help and a place to throw keys.
  • 12 years ago
    You know, I thought about putting a mirror there! I could always move the picture gallery onto the other way (up the hallway). Guess I'm mirror shopping tomorrow! Round? Rectangle? Sunburst?
  • 12 years ago
    Buy a mirror that is taller than wider. It can be a "shaped" one if you find. Add a lamp as well. Nothing too small. Oh...mirror not wider than your chest. GREAT FIND on the chest!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    If you want to keep your frames on the wall as is, I would get a table lamp - and get some of your favorite books around the house to put on top...a key bowl always helps too!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    stuff on top of console
  • 12 years ago
    B oot tray on floor at door for wet, dirty shoes. I like them filled with rock or pretty glass rock.
  • 12 years ago
    I really like your photos on the wall. Maybe add a couple more and then put a lamp on that beautiful table with some flowers.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes a lamp and rearrange to pictures
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Yes a lamp but before that rearrange the picture on the wall to fit the width of the cabinet or if you can move them else where and get a mirror for there instead.
    Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · More Info


    Trellis Hearts Giclee Glow Black Bronze Table Lamp · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    I just remembered I have a nice vintage wooden mirror that is 35" wide. Rectangular. The table is 38"...that should work right? We are going to see what it looks like in the morning...
  • 12 years ago
    Mirror
  • 12 years ago
    That should work! Mirrors usually are the best options
  • 12 years ago
    I think the pictures you have could work, but there is too much space between the bottom of the pictures and top of the chest. You need something on the chest. A fun project for you.
  • 12 years ago
    Just got this mirror at hobby lobby...should I hang it vertically or horizontally. Table is 38" wide and mirror is 25".
  • 12 years ago
    Wow, I like that mirror! Nice find. Have you tried leaning it against wall?
  • 12 years ago
    No. I wouldn't trust it with two kids running around. I'd rather hang it. Not sure in which direction though...
  • 12 years ago
    No , I'm sorry, I meant to see which way you like it best.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi n3wyawk,

    Really love the chest. I love finding unique pieces like that.

    I would hang it so that it is vertical. Then I would add a lamp or candle holders with a vase.

    Here were some of my ideas:
    http://www.build.com/favorites/unique-buffet-table-ideas-3243?source=fav_hzz_3243

    Happy Decorating!

    Erica
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Great find. I love the piece. The pattern of your pictures is taking away from the piece and over powering it a bit. I would find a mirror with a scale that would be just smaller across than the width of your piece and have nice height. Add a lamp, maybe a bowl or plate for keys… and you will love it.

    Imagine the piece below in a photo I found on house, without the mirror. Nice piece but it would not have the umph it has with the mirror.
    San Francisco Pacific Heights Residence · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    I moved the pictures and added a mirror! Thoughts? Thanks for such great advice!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Looks nice now add a nice lamp on the left and place the brass bowl/tray under the mirror as a place to catch keys. The flowers are a bit tall in front of the mirror, so trade them with the bowl for now. Definitely needs a lamp. Must say the chest was a great find.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It looks great!!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would prefer to see an interesting mirror, a little narrower than the chest and taller, than all of the artwork. I would then install a lamp, some greenery and a small dish or bowl for keys.
  • 12 years ago
    I added an updated photo above..
  • 12 years ago
    Just an observation....love the chest. The mirror..is it centered with the chest? Should be. Also it is a pretty mirror but the wrong color.....IMHO it should be gold, or the brown color in your chest. Then when the mirror is centered, put the bowl in front of it. On the left side put a lamp. On the right side put a photo, box, statue, or my favorite, a plant.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree with erinsean, the mirror although pretty, is the wrong color for the chest. Also, I prefer mirrors that are squared at the bottom, vertical in height with an interesting pediment at the top. Also, I would include a lamp to the side, some greenery and a small bowl or dish directly below the mirror.
  • 12 years ago
    I like mirror, too, but small for that table.