Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ddelan

Bathroom disaster

ddelan
10 years ago
To me, this is a discombobulated mess. (Glass shower doors still need to be installed. Any ideas to fix all my bad selections before I soak up my losses and start over? Your honest unbiased input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Comments (57)

• PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    10 years ago
    Are the accent tiles in shower stainless?
  • PRO
    CORINNE GAIL INTERIOR DESIGN LLC
    10 years ago
    The materials work well together! Definitely change the wall color to a more neutral tone. You can add pops of color with accessories; bath mats, towels, window treatment, vanity lighting, etc. I agree that the 1/2 wall next to the vanity is too much for the space. I think once you remove that (if possible) you will enjoy the space more.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Not a mess at all. Just the wrong paint color. A warm paint will tie it all together.
  • ddelan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Madden - No, dark brown. My original choice was more a taupe brown but mistake was made in ordering. My contractor said, "let's just put up and will deal with it later". Lesson learned: stand your ground.
  • Jennifer
    10 years ago
    I guess I'll be the voice of dissent. I agree with losing the small wall separating the toilet from the vanity. But I'd go with a darker charcoal or slate grey on the walls. I went with an almost black color in my windowless laundry room and it looks incredible. The key to making it work is to ensure that you use very good lighting. You can get those Cree brand LED bulbs at Home Depot for ~$10 each and they have made a huge difference in the lighting in my house, not to mention the energy savings and length of time they last. Bring home more than one kind of mirror and see what looks best in the space. I used a very inexpensive frameless mirror from Lowe's that has a curved and beveled edge in my closet and I get tons compliments on the look of that mirror. It was around $10.
  • PRO
    Fiorano Tile Showrooms
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Since you asked: 1) Remove that knee wall by vanity, that is truly the MAIN problem as I see it. 2) Continue same tile, chairrail height around the room. 3) Keep other knee wall by shower, and of course add glass panel, then glass doors. 4) Mirror entire wall above vanity towards ceiling, but first add a 6" (+/-) band of plain tile on the wall hitting the ceiling area so mirror hits that band. 5) Then accessorize with towels, etc It will really do wonders! Best of luck- John Tudisco / Fiorano Tile Showrooms.
  • ddelan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am so thankful for your ideas and comments. Definitely will change paint color and will talk with contractor about side wall(s).
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    ddelan: you can have the contractor rip out the dark brown band of tile and replace it with more of the same beige field tile, cut to fit. It will look less contemporary than a contrasting stripe. Or order the taupe tile you really wanted in the first place. It will cost you some money to redo, but if it really will bug you every single day, then change it now.
  • PRO
    Fiorano Tile Showrooms
    10 years ago
    Paint Color: Just pick a shade that exists in the marble.
  • litehearted
    10 years ago
    It's fine, don't panic - you just chose the wrong paint colour! Try Benjamin Moore Classic Grey -- it's a warm colour that will work well. The tile that is most throwing things off is the band that you chose for the shower -- it is a cooler tone than the rest of the stone and ceramic that you chose. Once you have the glass installed, it may not be as noticeable. If it is, and it still bothers you, then you can get a quote to either replace the tile band, or have the glass etched so that it is frosted rather than clear. Also, things will look different once you have your mirror installed, towels, etc. Finishing touches really make a room come together. Good luck. :)
  • PRO
    Fiorano Tile Showrooms
    10 years ago
    I agree with the Classic Grey paint suggestions. ALSO, don't panic on the tile border, it looks fine and it will all come together with some strategic changes as suggested by some here on this thread. It is NOT a disaster. Best wishes.
  • PRO
    Ladd Suydam Contracting, LLC
    10 years ago
    There is a definitely a point during any remodel called "builder 's fatigue." You've chosen some classic elements. I think the band of tile in your shower still lends itself to classic since it is subway tile. I agree, your easiest fix right now is to pick a warmer more neutral wall color. Once it's all finished you might have a better idea if you need a different wall color or covering. As you add your finishing touches like lights, mirror, etc, I think you'll see your choices come together. You have nice transitional elements. You can play up more modern or traditional depending on what you choose. Think restoration hardware. The beautiful thing about your scheme is that you can bring in warm organic materials like a beautiful wooden bowl with an orchid and it will stand out. Hang in there. Let it all come together and then decide.
  • laurakdesigns
    10 years ago
    I agree with most everyone else...your paint color is throwing you off. Just a couple ideas for you
    1. Paint will transform it all-- this is Revere Pewter a great neutral
    http://houzz.com/photos/1291372
    2. An easy fix is I think you have too much marble on the horizontal surfaces. At least consider replacing those on the half wall next to the vanity with trim painted in the white.
    3. If your contractor pressured you into something you weren't 100% on, and you're still unhappy, now is the time to speak up! I would let him know--- sorry it's not what I wanted, you tried to talk me into it and it's not working so fix it!
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    10 years ago
    i was just gong to say all you need to do is get rid of that pony wall on the vanity side. Groveraxle got it!
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    10 years ago
    now let me see your light choices lol!
  • pbgidge
    10 years ago
    I would finish the half wall between the vanity and the toilet to the ceiling and hide a pocket door in that wall as well. The host economic fix I can think of.
  • Robert Brennan
    10 years ago
    I think if you take down the small partition wall between the toilet and the vanity sink unit and then tile the front of the 2nd partition wall (painted blue) between the toilet and shower with the same tiles you have in the shower it will improve it a lot. Then nice big mirror over sink. Doesn't cost much to get a mirror cut to size with beveled edges. You could make it any size you want.
  • ddelan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Excellent comments and ideas being made. My husband is questioning - "if wall between toilet and vanity is removed then the toilet is not centered between that area - what do you do then? Trying to post pic of lighting fixture but camera not working right now. Sincere thanks everyone.
  • ddelan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Grover - the visual helps!
  • kcshenk
    10 years ago
    My husband and I recently built a house and there are things I would have done differently. I suggest painting the walls, putting up an interesting mirror, perhaps some art that you love, and see if you aren't happier with the space. It is not as bad as you think. r
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    I disagree about tearing down the knee wall. I understand why you put it in; taking it out takes your bathroom back 3 decades. But, instead, I'd look for options to create two zones in the room: grouping the toilet with the shower.
    So I would actually increase the separation in this room, but probably not with a 4" stud wall, as you are short on space. I would use a tinted or patterned glass panel between the toilet and sink, taking it to the ceiling, and going out about 3 feet.
    Then, I'd consider converting this area to a wet room, rather than using a glass door.
  • bgfuqua
    10 years ago
    I agree with ivory walls and removal of half wall between vanity and toilet. find mirrors you love and light fixtures on the sides. then bring in towels, art, and rug in a colorful shade.
  • makaloco
    10 years ago
    I vote in favor of groveraxle's suggestion but would also remove the counter backsplash (sidesplash?) on that end. One solution to the toilet no longer being centered might be to add something at the end of the vanity to balance the space, either built-in or free standing. And I'm with Lefty47 and others on the wall paint. Your counter and tile selections are lovely, but the light blue works against them.

The shower area is more difficult. I agree with you that it seems disjointed, and won't glass doors make it look even more modern/contemporary? Assuming that the fixtures will be at the end with the window, I'd probably forego the glass and instead build the wall forward and up on that end (possibly in stages to the window sill), making it an "open shower". If fixtures will be somewhere else, it would have to be done differently. I like the strip around the top of the shower, but the color needs to be picked up somewhere else, even if it's with accessories.
  • ddelan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My husband and I are used to our privacy while showering (hard to teach an old dog new tricks) and the thought of another door in the master area (i e pocket door) was not to my liking therefore I thought the knee walls would help in some way as some of you have gathered.

Something else I am questioning now ... I wanted a more textured glass for the shower area but contractor said, "if you are spending money on tiled shower why would you want to hide it".
  • ddelan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Shower fixtures are on wall opposite the bench/window wall.
  • snobunyz24
    10 years ago
    I agree, get rid of contrasting tile I shower, in 3 years that fad will be over. Fill w tile from rest of the shower. Change Bathroom wall between vanity and sink and paint color. Rest of the materials look fabulous!,
  • makaloco
    10 years ago
    I probably should have said "semi-open shower", sorry! Walls could be as high and wide as you wish, but with no door or shower curtain. A variation on these:
    http://www.celebrategreatermound.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Bathroom-Designs-Open-Shower-Bathroom-Design-With-Elegant-Hand-.jpg
    http://edublogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/open-shower-and-tub-bathroom-design.jpg
  • User
    10 years ago
    I don't think that the toilet alcove is even to code unless those wing walls are removed. Were permits actually pulled and an actual licensed contractor used here? There doesn't appear to be enough room between the toilet and shower or toilet and vanity. While taking down the wall between the toilet and vanity will help that one side, nothing but building the shower smaller will help with the shower side.
  • PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    10 years ago
    It's hard to tell from a picture how much room is between the two half-walls. 30" should be the minimum - 15" on the toilet center-line to each side. A picture can be so deceiving. I agree with others on going with the clear glass - it will make the room look larger, brighter. and more modern. I hear you on the "modesty" issue. When I design a bathroom, I always have to determine the intimacy level of the client. Some would have no problem just removing the door all together, and others (like myself) have no desire to share space in a bathroom. Wait your turn. If it bothers you, you could do a full wall where the half-wall is now on the shower which would give you some separation. But again, I think you have made some lovely choices so far.
  • makaloco
    10 years ago
    I'm not sure how clear glass addresses the privacy issue. Expanding the wall (or putting another one at the end with the fixtures) definitely would. The more I look at the original photo, the more I think the shower half-wall is an awkward length from the window wall, obviously chosen to match the one next to the vanity. It's hard to tell without seeing the other end of the shower, though.
  • PRO
    Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
    10 years ago
    Can I just point out the problems created if you remove the knee wall? That knee wall was framed prior to the tile. The tile is notched around it. I see the Toilet sits on a single piece of tile which is also notched around the knee wall.
    The toilet needs to be pulled and a few pieces of tile busted out. Adjoining tiles not affected by this change may get damaged while trying to remove others.

The end of the stone countertop that meets the knee wall is unfinished and sits flush with the end of the cabinet. There is no overhang or finished self edge. You'll need a entirely new countertop.

Demo knee wall
    Pull toilet
    Bust out tile
    Pull sink and faucets
    Remove backsplash
    Remove countertop ( hopefully cabinets boxes don't get damaged)
    Template for new countertop
    Install new tiles and grout
    Repair drywall where knee wall was removed
    Paint
    Reinstall toilet
    Install new countertop
    Install new back splash
    Reinstall sink and faucet
    Locate and install new end panel for cabinet ( ? )
    ( hopefully cabinet boxes were not damaged while removing the countertop)

Sinks are actually undermount and possibly epoxied in place. You may need new sinks

I'm not going to say its a bad idea, but I know its exspesive and not nearly as simple as some are suggesting

I changed my mind... Bad idea! :)
  • ddelan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    width of toilet area is 30 1/2". Additional pics attached.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    How about just removing the granite caps from the two half walls to simplify them and make them less obtrusive? Seriously, once you get rid of the blue undertones, this room will look great.
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    Agree 100% with goveraxle. Do the color change first before you do anything else.
  • April Ulmer
    10 years ago
    I love the color palette! But the tile in the shower should be all white I think.
  • laurakdesigns
    10 years ago
    I think you room will be fine...as I suggested yesterday, just keep it simple: paint and remove the marble tops from those half walls. It's too much....replacing it with white woodwork will give your eyes a place to rest. You have a lot going on now and are just getting thrown off by the paint color. I don't think it's worth it to move toilets, etc. the payoff/difference won't be that great.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    I'm not a fan of the accent tiles that are usually added in the shower. Remove those and add your mirrors and paint. You might be suprised with how it comes together.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Mirrors, towel bars, picture over the toilet.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Oh, not the butterfly pictures--bad idea.
  • makaloco
    10 years ago
    Much as I'd love to see that wall next to the vanity go, after reading Yarbro's comments, I'm more inclined to favor minimal changes, particularly where the counter and floor tiles are involved. Removing the accent tiles in the shower might create similar problems above and below. Repaint, definitely, and see what the room looks like with the shower doors. You may like it better than you think you will.
  • robynrobyn
    10 years ago
    Change the paint color, hardware, counter tops and take the wall off the side of the toilet closest to the counter.
  • partim
    10 years ago
    I agree with the beige wall color, but if you remove the brown tile your your bathroom will be all beige, maybe too much. I would keep the brown tile and use some additional brown to balance it elsewhere in the room, e.g. in the mirror frame, art, and accessories.
  • partim
    10 years ago
    Some examples of brown framed mirrors, in bathrooms with cabinets and counters somewhat like yours.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/47428602297960420/
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/247416573249651646/
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/26317979046260156/
  • pbgidge
    10 years ago
    Wow. There are certainly a lot of comments here. And with that said... I would sit back and do nothing. Really. It costs you nothing. Live with it and you will figure out what works for you and what is missing.
  • supertax
    10 years ago
    I agree with laurakdesigns-I like the neutral paint color makes a big difference already.
  • PRO
    Sandifer Design Build
    10 years ago
    I would get rid of both of the knee walls
  • PRO
    Sandifer Design Build
    10 years ago
    Everything else looks nice but the wall between the cabinet and the wall at the shower make the toilet area seam cramped
  • litehearted
    9 years ago
    Dune White may also be a good colour, or White Wisp. :)
  • alicejean
    9 years ago
    I agree the wall color needs to be changed. Your contractor needs to be told that the time has come to deal with the contrasting band in the shower. To me, it is jarring. I like the window but agree it needs to be same neutral color as walls. I would like to see more shine or sparkle in here as the floor seems dull, so I would choose a wall color with some life to it. There will be a huge improvement when there is a mirror and glass shower door is in place. I would not choose a mirror with a heavy frame. Please, no grey! Your bathroom will come together beautifully.