Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

This or That: Regular Linen VS Flannel

Jeannie Nguyen
10 years ago
Which do you prefer?

Vote for your choice and tell us why you prefer one over the other! Have photos of your own bed sheets? Post those too!

Comments (107)

• bbarick
    10 years ago
    100% high thread count cotton....or I will sleep on the couch in my street clothes.
  • dseligmann
    10 years ago
    Really high count white cotton sheets - all year long - just awesome!
  • Bronwyn Paul
    10 years ago
    Always 600 thread count or more for crisp, fresh feel of cotton.
  • Mandy Medsger
    10 years ago
    flannel and electric mattress pad for winter in pittsburgh
  • karelina
    10 years ago
    Maria Smith: Very interesting! Though I didn't mention it when I said thread count, I do look for percale and open the package to see how soft it feels. Now I'll be more conscious of what I'm doing, so thanks!
  • pjwms
    10 years ago
    the title of the post was "regular linen vs. flannel" - was linen meant as "bed linens" or the fabric "linen" ? a few votes for linen, many for cotton, quite a few for flannel
  • Jennifer
    10 years ago
    Linen! Wish I had known years ago. So comfortable.
  • jillybeansisme
    10 years ago
    600+ thread count cotton for me . . . although I have used flannel in the winter before and they were nice for that time of year.
  • Maria Smith
    10 years ago
    @karelina, you're welcome! Percale is tough to find, just purchased Wamsutta fitted bottom only at Bed Bath and Beyond if it wears well I will get a couple of more. They have a great "feel" to them. Scarred and calloused feet make our bottom sheets wear so quickly.
  • karelina
    10 years ago
    Maria Smith: Thanks for the tip!
  • PRO
    FK Interior Design
    10 years ago
    I only use white linens, can be washed in hot water and bleached. They do not fade and always a classic.
  • morish
    10 years ago
    Definately 1000TC cotton. Pure LUXE. Flannelette sheets go bally. YUCK.
  • Patrice Paige
    10 years ago
    Maria Smith, go to Amazon and get"Baby Feet" (Japanese version, no worries instructions are in English) and never worry about calloused feet again. The stuff is simply AMAZING. Wear the booties for one hour and all the dead skin and callouses will peel off in the next 8-10 days. I just did mine a week ago and right now have "lizard feet" I am shedding old dead skin like crazy ( it's kind'a gross) but the results are amazing. Even though I get regular pedis I still shed.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Never had a flannel that didn't pill. Love good cotton sheets. I've got one set so old it feels like silk.
  • bjstankus
    10 years ago
    I MUST have 600+ egyptian sateen all year long, no matter the winter cold. Soft and smooth as silk (but not slippery as silk). Tried fleece but felt like I was sleeping in my jacket!! Never cared for flannel.
  • User
    10 years ago
    It's almost winter here so I've just put some flannelette sheets on. Cotton in the warm months, or other options that are easy care.
  • Vicki Humphries
    10 years ago
    Linen all year round. A hot water bottle to pre-warm the bed before jumping in. Brisbane, Australia, does not get cold enough for flannel to be honest.
  • freebece
    10 years ago
    Definitely flannel from October to May, then cotton during Summer.
  • wingnn
    10 years ago
    I only sleep in cotton sheets. Flannel is to warm for me even in the winter.
  • amycarman
    10 years ago
    Crisp Cotten in summer is my fav.
  • pegasue12
    10 years ago
    linen
  • Janet Hustek
    10 years ago
    I like the feel of plush fleece sheets any time of the year.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Another vote for Pratesi sheets, the queen of all sheets! Occasionally, you can find discontinued styles at the discount stores and when that happens, ebay sellers load up! So, that's where I found mine (on Ebay). They'll cost in the $250-$350 range (ebay prices), but I hear they last a lifetime and you'll think you've died and gone to heaven when you sleep in them!!! Mine are 3 years old and going strong!
  • cookseyc
    9 years ago
    Flannel during winter months to please my husband! Then we change to nice soft 500 ct. sheets for spring and summer!
  • Kim Westwood
    9 years ago
    we have a water bed so we do not need flannel sheets. We just love our waterbed it is down very low all year and very comfortable even in our very hot humid climate.
  • woodspools
    9 years ago
    I have flannel sheets on my antique three-quarter sized bed. Love them. Have JC Penney Cindy Crawford cotton sheets in the guest room on the queen-sized bed. Love them, too. Here in Ohio, the weather changes quickly (we're talking 80º one day, snow the next) so I can hop to whatever bed suits the weather. :-)
  • ebethb
    9 years ago
    flannel because this feels like the never ending winter.
  • osbornbarnard
    9 years ago
    Have an antique linen sheet. Haven't slept on it. Use it as a table cloth.
  • crisanderson
    9 years ago
    I would have flannel on all year if I could but my husband is the heater-man and after May it is too hot for him. For me, the heavy flannels are good for cold weather. The thin light-weight ones are just the right weight on cool summer nights with the windows open or with the windows closed and the airconditioning on.
  • Kay
    9 years ago
    I use both in the summer. Cool crisp cotton bottom sheet and pillow cases and just a flannel top sheet for a bit of warmth if the A/C feels too cool. All flannel in the winter.
  • rose41
    9 years ago
    Living in the tropics, there is no call for flannel sheets. Good quality cotton with a light quilt all year round
  • Terri Dunn
    9 years ago
    Love the way flannel sheets feel
  • Madhabi Mukherjee
    9 years ago
    depends on climate, being mine is a hot one cool cotton is my choice
  • lizthefrizz
    9 years ago
    I live in Texas on the coast. Flannel will just about suffocate you here!
  • gracey999
    9 years ago
    I like both, flannel in winter but I use both because I like the feel of both together :) Of course, in the summer, only crispy and soft cotton.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Love DreamZone from Wamsutta. Crisp, cool and clean feeling every night.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Only linen. Even in coldest winter we don't like flannel...it prevents us from being able to turn over as easily and we find that it disturbs our sleep. We'll pile on the down, but sleep on linen, crisp, linen
  • snorv
    9 years ago
    crisp,cool, white cotton year round! Flannel in Florida climate just not comfortable.
  • PRO
    Menage Interiors
    9 years ago
    We prefer white cotton - crisp cool and clean always!
  • bungalowmo
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    High thread count (800+) 100% Egyptian Cotton. Nothing but.
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    9 years ago
    A crisp white percale will do just fine for me. Flannel seems to get too hot for my taste, unless you're in a cabin in the winter or something. Percale is like the cooler side of the pillow all the time :)
  • luciechimo
    9 years ago
    Polyester comfort sheets, cool in summer warm in winter, just like fleece.
  • Andrea Szabo
    9 years ago
    It doesn't matter what the weather is like outside because the inside temperature is always the same 22C. So we have cotton sheets. Kids have colours, I love mine white.
  • mom2lala
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Does flannel come in different quality? The ones I tried got all piley. I do like a brand new set of flannels until they have to be washed a couple times. They are warm and quiet. HOWEVER, High count Egyptian cotton is the best!! I can't go back. Ugh, this last time I accidentally bought microfiber (polyester) sheets. It said on the label- Egyptian "comfort", not cotton, and 1000 "series", not thread count . They are terribly unbreathable and sound like taffeta. READ CAREFULLY IF BUYING SHEETS ON AMAZON.
  • bungalowmo
    9 years ago
    mom2lala...I saw those sheets too. I think it was on a different site (something I found surfing on FaceBook). Same misleading text tho. I kept asking if they were COTTON & the woman finally responded that no, they were not.

It's totally intentional.
  • carthiefintexas
    9 years ago
    Plain sheets. I used to sleep in Egyptian Cotton, but now I'm addicted to linen. Cool in summer, warm in winter. Best sheets (and pillow cases) I have ever owned.
  • sandisoup
    9 years ago
    I live in Alaska and love my cozy flannel sheets!
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    I live in Arizona and love my cozy flannel (and fleece) sheets!
  • interiorsdreamrainbow
    9 years ago
    Flannel is not convenient for me, I just throw it in the washer/dryer and it just gets too ugly with time.