Software
Houzz Logo Print
annie1emma2

My Kitchen Renovation - second time around

12 years ago
When we purchased our house eight years ago we definitely did not care for the kitchen. Did not like the color of the cabinets or the countertops. We could not do a full renovation so we hired someone to paint the cabinets, installed a new countertop, hardware and appliances. Fast forward eight years the paint is starting to yellow and chip in places. After months of research we just signed with a local cabinet company to completely redo our kitchen. With our budget we could not afford to add on space so we decided that we would take advantage of the space that we do have and try to make it our dream kitchen. We decided to go with white shaker cabinets and a Cambria quartz countertop. Our current pantry is pretty much a closet with a basic door. We are having a custom pantry built (one of the features I am most excited about). We are really excited about all of the custom features we were able to add to the cabinets from the trim, crown moulding, pull out shelves, spice drawer, cutlery insert etc. Nervous about the whole process! Hoping that we make all the right decisions. My husband said this is the last time we are redoing this kitchen!

Comments (35)

  • 12 years ago
    Sounds good. I like the white cabinets over dark, in a small area. A nice backsplash, and soft wall color, will give you kitchen you seek.
  • 12 years ago
    You know what you're looking for so you will be happy. If you can, get ceiling height uppers, they'll not only offer more space, they'll make the room look elegant.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Very well executed, He really did mean "last time"
  • 12 years ago
    Adivra our new cabinets will be ceiling height. One of the things I dislike about my cabinets now.
  • 12 years ago
    Are you having a walk-in pantry? That would be heaven!
  • 12 years ago
    We will not have a walk in pantry although that would be awesome. The pantry we are having built will be made to look like a piece of furniture. The two bottom drawers will be deep enough to hold all of my pots and pans which made it possible for me to eliminate my lazy susan which I am not crazy about.
  • 12 years ago
    I think you will be happy with the new look. White cabinets are classic and always fresh-looking and in style. That's what I'd pick if I had my druthers, but alas my druthers are long gone.
    annie1emma2 thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Sooo much nicer. You inspire me!
  • 12 years ago
    It's lovely.
  • 12 years ago
    The wonders paint can do. It looks like a totally different space. The lighter colors really did make the kitchen seem bigger. Please update us on the cabinet pantry you're having built. Everything looks way better.
  • 12 years ago
    Why did you not opt to do upper cabinets full height to ceiling? That is such a waste of amazing storage space.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    don't care for the rounded cut outs on the cabinets....look old fashioned........
  • 12 years ago
    were you able to use the old cabinets somewhere else in the house? like the garage or basement?
  • 12 years ago
    Mind if I ask the price difference from a total redo to just doing a great freshen up?
  • 12 years ago
    Wow! Beautiful! WHAT a HUGE improvement.
  • 12 years ago
    nicely done...much more inviting!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    @ Gigi Perrott Brady and Barbara Boyle - The white cabinets you see are the OLD ones painted white, not the new kitchen! The best is yet to come with ceiling height cabinetry, she said.
  • 12 years ago
    Love it!
  • 12 years ago
    Have I read this correctly: the white (now painted) cabinets are a previous renovation, and there is a SECOND renovation that has been planned- but not yet started?
  • 12 years ago
    Gigi Brady when our new cabinets are installed next month they will go all the way to the ceiling. Not only will I gain more storage I think it will look so much better!
    Barbara Boyle I agree my new cabinets will be shaker style doors. We are also doing beaded inset doors which I think will look really nice.
    Colleen Knecht when we remove the cabinets next month we are planning to donate them to Habitat for Humanity. They will take all of the cabinets and countertop.
    Carrie Peterkin the company we used charged us $5000 for painting the cabinets and the new countertop. The price included taking the cabinets to their shop to have them sprayed. Our appliances are Electrolux and cost around $5000. Our budget for our new kitchen was $20,000 but it is going to end up costing $30,000. That is for cabinets, new faucet, hardware, insert for the range hood and a farm house sink. We added a lot of extras to the cabinets as far as trim and moldings. We also added things like can storage to the pantry door, roll out shelves etc. All of those things added up fast. We are also doing a new back splash which will cost around $1000 but my husband will install it. We could have stayed with in our original budget if we did not add all the extras but we want the custom look and that costs so much extra. We are keeping all of our appliances and we recently put down a new hardwood floor.
    Must love dawgs the first photo is from when we bought our house, the second photo is us trying to update the space. We are getting ready next month for all new cabinets.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I'm so glad you posted this! The "new" kitchen is beautiful!
  • 12 years ago
    Taller upper cabinets would've made the kitchen look more elegant.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Very nice improvement! The light colors really brighten up the space!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I have a pantry cabinet that I hate with a passion. Next kitchen will have a walk-in pantry.
  • 12 years ago
    I've been following this thread. Others are commenting on new kitchen but I never did find pictures of the new kitchen.
  • 12 years ago
    Looks great!
  • 12 years ago
    To clear up some confusion: The dark kitchen was at move in - then you painted and updated appliances (which looks nice!) but now you are replacing cabinets and counters but no picture of the final project. I think people above are thinking the white kitchen is the final room. Good luck on your remodel -please post pictures when done.
  • 12 years ago
    Ah yes, not I see. Renovation #1 made a dramatic difference. I await the final version.
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry about the confusion I was not sure where to post this thread! We have decided on everything for the kitchen besides the black splash. We want to do white subway tile which I thought would be easy. Never realized how many different shades of white there are. We were also considering a tear drop or Moroccan tile. Not sure if that is something that is too trendy that after a few years I would wish I just did the classic white subway tile. My whole house is very neutral. I know some people do not like an all white kitchen but that I love it especially with my dark wood floors!
  • 12 years ago
    Looks great! Love white kitchens with pops of color. Which Cambria quartz countertop is that? I am picking out one now for bath vanity that is white.
  • 12 years ago
    Chcrn we decided on the Cambria Newport
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Please post pictures of your renovated kitchen when its done ,would love to see the transformation! Although I find the second picture with your cabinates painted white beautiful !
  • 12 years ago
    Confusion may also be resulting from Houzz posting the before on Facebook with a link to click to see the "After".
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    annie1emma2 Enjoy your appliances and let us know if you have any questions! The renovation looks wonderful.